Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video - Ethics in the Worst of Times: Rationing to Protect the Public's Health during a Severe Influenza Pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video - Ethics in the Worst of Times: Rationing to Protect the Public's Health during a Severe Influenza Pandemic

Ethics in the Worst of Times: Rationing to Protect the Public's Health during a Severe Influenza Pandemic

<!--BEGIN COLUMN 0 --> This event took place on June 5, 2008.
    Who should be first to receive scarce health-related resources in a severe pandemic? How should scarce resources like antivirals, masks, vaccines, and ventilators be rationed? How will you communicate a public health perspective to your community, supporting rationing strategies to further our common good? How will you educate them and enlist their support of a state-wide plan to ration these resources in ways intended to save the most lives, preserve public safety and order, and be fair?
    Ethicists in Minnesota have worked with state and local public health agencies and a diverse community panel to develop an ethical framework to guide the Minnesota Department of Health's decisions in the midst of a severe pandemic, for the statewide rationing of a range of critical health-related resources for prevention, treatment and personal protection.
    In this session, they will present their ethical framework, consisting of principles, goals, and strategies. They will engage you in the vexing ethical issues associated with deciding which groups should be prioritized to receive these vital resources when everyone is, in varying ways and to varying extents, at risk.

Re: Video - Ethics in the Worst of Times: Rationing to Protect the Public's Health during a Severe Influenza Pandemic

The US Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Health and Human Services have released the Guidance on Allocating and Targeting Pandemic Influenza Vaccine document.

Comment

Re: Video - Ethics in the Worst of Times: Rationing to Protect the Public's Health during a Severe Influenza Pandemic

While members have various opinions on this subject, FT does not endorse any rationing or tier system for the allocation of scarce resources. We report the news on this topic. Viewers can evaluate the situation for themselves.

Comment

I viewed the first segment of this seminar.

I have been following and thinking about the ramifications of a severe influenza pandemic for over 3 years now. Despite my intellectual preparation, I must admit it was difficult to hear a speaker make the matter-of-fact statement that most people will die at home during a severe pandemic.
        Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
          I viewed the first segment of this seminar.

I have been following and thinking about the ramifications of a severe influenza pandemic for over 3 years now. Despite my intellectual preparation, I must admit it was difficult to hear a speaker make the matter-of-fact statement that most people will die at home during a severe pandemic.
          The citizens don't realy understand that the majority of them would be scheduled to die because of an unwillingness to spend taxpayers money on shielding issues.

Comment

Working...
          X