• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pandemic threat-level market indicators

"I love having my own thread."

Bink - You deserve your own thread.

Meanwhile:

US' growing insecurity about China

The US is in danger of succumbing to increased isolationism in its quest to stem the growing power of China and the Asia region itself.

By Eric Teo Chu Cheow (16/08/06)
    During a recent visit to Washington DC and New York, I gave a series of lectures at think tanks and held discussions at the State Department. I wanted to understand how the United States would view and react to an “emerging Asia” and a rising China. I was particularly interested in getting an update on the American appraisal of the “China threat.” What follows are my personal observations and conclusions.
    What I found feeding on the US psyche is a growing sense of insecurity which the “China threat” and America’s declining presence and role in Asia inevitably feeds into. It is not only a post- 11 September security threat, but a “threat” emanating from Asia (which is not the “China threat” alone): America’s inherent fears of being bypassed, excluded or surpassed in Asia are building up. An “emerging Asia” increases America’s post- 11 September psychosis, exemplifying and exaggerating America’s own insecurity.
    In brief, America is growing insecure about its future and role, especially in an emerging Asia, a tendency that could result in a new phase of inner absorption, if not increasing isolationism.
    A lot of this is rooted in internal political dynamics. President George W Bush’s administration is plagued by scandals and low popularity ratings. Support for Bush’s Iraqi policy had plunged to an all-time low; more than 2,500 US military servicemen have so far died in Iraq. The emotional debate over immigration seems to be dividing US society as well. This autumn, the Republicans may lose control over the House of Representatives (though the Senate appears secure), making Bush a lame-duck president. This political insecurity has set the stage for a crisis of confidence in US politics.
    But more important, especially within the context of domestic political insecurity, is the realization of US weakness and vulnerability in economic competitiveness and financial clout when compared to an emerging Asia, and especially, a rising China and India.
    In fact, the “China threat” (which has been plaguing the US psyche over the last few years) has probably shifted from a pure military or security threat to an economic-cum-financial one. Even if the threat syndrome has not really declined, it has metamorphosed as the US public is increasingly concerned about the economic and financial impact of a rising China; the US trade deficit with China has mushroomed to US$200 billion, and Washington registers its largest trade deficit with Beijing.
    Job losses and rising unemployment are hitting the US hard, especially in the lead-up to mid-term elections. With Congress hard pressed to protect US jobs, one could expect the “China threat” to be played up in the months ahead, especially when President Bush’s political clout is low. The emotional debate over amnesty for illegal workers in the US and their role within the economy and society has created a real political dilemma for the Bush administration.
    The renminbi debate will intensify as trade disputes escalate and creeping forms of protectionism appear, as illustrated by the Unocal-CNOOC and Dubai Port sagas. The financial dimension is also epitomized by the growing concern over imbalances as Americans discuss China amassing some US$900 billion in foreign reserves, bypassing those of Japan; moreover, at least a quarter is believed to be “locked” into US Treasury bonds, a formidable weapon in confrontational times, especially when Americans need some US$2 billion a day to sustain their economy and spending. As one academic reminded me, “America’s financial security is at risk.”
    A senior researcher at Brookings asserted that the US would lose out if and when China becomes the center of Asian trade, as this would result in huge losses for the US financial center: every financial transaction of US$100 in international currency trading in the US results today in at least a US$3 commission for US banks. According to him, if China should become the center of trade in Asia, financial services could shift from the United States, resulting in net job losses for its financial services sector and make a decisive dent in US GDP, of which financial services constitute some 22 percent.
    The US business and financial community’s concern is based on this premise, especially when the twin deficits in the US have hit an all-time high and are likely to continue to rise. Meanwhile, concerns are growing over how the US is becoming more dependent on China’s “financial largesse” in terms of the latter’s expanding international financial clout and the US Treasuries that Beijing buys. US concerns are magnified by the bursting of the housing bubble and rumors of further interest rate hikes, thanks to the current weak dollar.
    Washington’s economic and financial worries are now crystallized around the “China syndrome,” but jobs and employment issues constitute the real basis for this threat perception. This is symptomatic of the US loss of economic competitiveness vis-a-vis China and Asia. But despite growing concerns about isolationism, America needs Asian trade and economic cooperation and vice versa. The US must therefore overcome its own insecurities in the longer term, even though drastic structural adjustments will not be easy for Washington to implement.

http://www.isn.ethz.ch/news/sw/details.cfm?ID=16532

Comment

Originally posted by Binkerbear
      I love having my own thread. :o Anyway, of note today: While NVAX was up a whopping 4 %, VRA was up almost 17 % and AVII was up an astounding 19 %. Most of the other flu biotechs were up today as well. [Disclaimer: I do not own these and monitor them only trying to determine the seriousness of a pandemic threat.]
      Question. What is driving up these prices? I don't think FluTrackers members could produce that kind of spike.

And I doubt that many serious traders are following information presented here on the Garut cluster. Finally, I am not convinced that any of these biotechs have a sure-thing, inside-the-park home run with a H5N1 vaccine, even assuming they could produce it and distribute it in sufficient quantities.

Maybe it is readers following the advice of some second rate financial newsletter on profiting from the coming pandemic.
      </IMG></IMG>
      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

A rising tide floats all boats.

Remember the internet bubble?

This is the next bubble...and it's thinly traded to boot. That means screamingly fast moves. If you know commodities, think lumber, cocoa and orange juice, and nickel. There will be corners and runs. This sector will become the wild west rather quickly, once that Garut REGIONAL cluster becomes "known".

I'm just focused on not making a killing; I just don't want to get killed. Gold and even gold stocks; silver and silver stocks... slow and steady. The headlines are frightening. The hedge funds are buying grade B and below bonds because they're chasing yields. The real estate market has locked in ALL the speculators; those who have weak hands are begging to be released at break even; boy are they in for a surprise.

The stock market, imo, is not big enough or liquid enough to absorb the flushing suction of dropping asset values in the R/E market. My expected scenario, tracking the collapse which will be the bird's boot on the neck as PI gets recognized for what it is, is R/E market implosions, expressed as regional implosions, starting in late Sept, early Oct of this year, and quickly, within a few months max, expanding nationwide. The towels will be flying as they're tossed in. Comfortably, I expect to see 25% declines against prior highs, and shocking 50% declines which will result in the biggest bankruptcies the US has ever seen; the multiplier effect will crash the economy as the housing and construction dependent employees find themselves 86'd and unemployable. R/E agents who hold their "profits" in their latest spec houses will start to eat their roofs as they'll have no income and alligators sucking funds.

(As an aside, today a close friend told me that their very close relative is close to being upside down on their house in the upper midwest; a 20% drop will wipe out all profits. The discussion was "should they walk away now, or wait?")

The exception will be the bird flu stocks, and gold and silver.

Deflation will not arrive in an orderly fashion. Jeremy said long ago, the bird flu economic news will be surprisingly abrupt. If you have not heeded his words in your thinking, you're one of "them" and not one of "us".

What I see is that the US and the West is playing "pretend" with their economic conditions and with pandemic flu. When the latter arrives, the former will simply collapse.

FYI, a dear friend is highly placed in one of the major US basic foods suppliers. For them, PF will arrive abruptly. Our basic foods from the million-plus acres they control will cease flowing. They've not plan #1 being either considered or in place. If there's a soul here who thinks that any canner who depends on fresh food from the farm can continue to produce food products during a pandemic, it's time for a serious rethink. Drop the illusionary glasses and think hard about what this will mean.

Stock prices will all be heading south big time, pulled by collapsing markets all around... except those offering "hope" and "security". There's no middle ground I can see.

Oh, I see I forgot to sign this little missive.

Gloomie...who smells blood and expects to gorge when the worst is upon us. (Again, fascinatingly, today's R/E conversation led to my friend salivating saying that the rich will take advantage of the 50% housing price declines; I smiled and felt good in my belief that those who act too quickly will get consumed as well. For me, this event is one of those economic vacuum events wherein the playing field for those who don't "get it" becomes flattened. It's economic Darwinism time, imo. My timeline for the flu posted at Flu Clinic in the Expert Opinion thread in the main room I think is dead on correct. I'm very hopeful that this "season" will close out without chaos, and the profits will be reaped, the economic hatches thereafter battened, and there may be enough time to both go on vacation again and continue to search for "economic life savers" for this ditty just now loading up at Indonesia station.
        Last edited by Guest; August 22, 2006, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GaudiaRay
          A rising tide floats all boats.

Remember the internet bubble?

This is the next bubble.

Ditto.

Comment

has this
            http://www.trendmacro.com/default2.asp
            link been already mentioned ?

it has been going down since April,May and now for the first time seems to change again upwards.

I'm not sure, but the up-movements in that chart seem to
            correlate with
            1.) Bush's 7.1 billion$ request for panflu (of which senate finally approves about the half AFAIK
            2) outbreak in Turkey
            3) Webster's ABC-interview and some other alarming interviews and articles
            4) the bird flu movie
            I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
            my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Rivers
              Binkerbear
              So are you yet ?
              C R
              Not at all, not yet anyway. It's now just another drift in that direction but, when TS really HTF, I'm thinking the financial markets will know well in advance of any WHO announcement or MSM warnings. I'm thinking that there will be an upward spike for a lot of these stocks and a H-U-G-E down move for the market in general at that time. Luskin's index is great particularly showing how the flu biotechs have recently outperformed all other biotechs. I'll start worrying when this index starts approaching its' old highs of last April. When it suddenly spikes up and the markets spike down, then:

Comment

Existing home sales lowest since January 2004
                WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The pace of existing home sales in the United States fell a sharper-than-expected 4.1 percent in July to their lowest level since January 2004 as the downturn in the U.S. housing sector accelerated, the National Association of Realtors said on Wednesday.

Sales of existing U.S. homes fell for a fourth consecutive month to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 6.33 million units in July from a downwardly revised 6.60 million unit pace in June. The July pace was 11.2 percent below the July 2005 pace of 7.13 million.

Analysts had expected home resales to slow to a 6.55 million unit pace from June's originally reported rate of 6.62 million units.

The national median existing home price for all housing types was $230,000 in July, up 0.9 percent from the July 2005, in the slowest year-on-year price gain since May 1995.

The supply of homes for sale at the end of July jumped sharply by 3.2 percent to 3.86 million units. This represented a 7.3 months' supply, the highest since April 1993.

Economists were caught off guard by the severity of the drop and said the slowdown in sales activity and the associated wealth effect on consumers could drag down the overall economy.

"This is another step down on the staircase, and we have a number of steps to go. I'd still use the word orderly, but we keep descending," said Stuart Hoffman, chief economist at PNC Financial Services Group in Pittsburgh.

He said the number could influence the Fed's future interest rate decisions because it will be a drag on economic growth.

NAR Chief Economist David Lereah said the increase in the supply of available homes so far this year was the sharpest on record.

"What we are experiencing right now is an inventory and price adjustment," Lereah said. The housing market is in transition, he said, "and there is pain in that transition."

Lereah said the slowdown represented both cooling of overheated high-priced markets and sales declines in some markets that were struggling with a slowing economy, such as Midwest manufacturing cities.

Existing home sales in West dropped 6.4 percent to an annual pace of 1.32 million in July and were down 18.0 percent from a year earlier. The July median price in the West fell 0.3 percent from a year ago to $348,000.

In the Midwest, they fell 5.9 percent to a 1.43 million unit pace, as the median price fell 0.6 to $178,000. Sales in the Northeast fell 5.4 percent to an annual sales pace of 1.05 million units as the median price fell 2.1 percent from July 2005.

Sales in the South slipped just 1.2 percent to a pace of 2.53 million units, while the median price rose 3.2 percent $192,000.

Single-family home sales dropped 5 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.51 million in July from 5.8 million in June. The median existing single-family home price was $231,200, up 1.5 percent from a year earlier.

Existing condominium sales, however, rose 2.8 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 818,000 units from 796,000 in June. The median condo price was $225,600 in July, down 1 percent from a year earlier.

Comment

Table of Existing Home Sales decline. The West had the greatest decline at -6.4% for last month and -18.0% compared to last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	647768

Source:
                  http://www.realtor.org/Research.nsf/files/EHSreport.XLS/$FILE/EHSreport.XLS

Comment

Re: Housing Market

And from the New York Times

August 23, 2006

........ Economic expansion in the second quarter slowed to a 2.5 percent annual rate, down from 5.6 percent in the first quarter. Because housing has been so central to the overall health of the nation?s economy in recent years, forecasters are concerned that a steep decline in home sales may help push the economy into a recession.

But so far, many economists are predicting a slowdown, not a collapse. ?The trend here is one of stabilizing prices after the sharp gains seen for many years,? said Joshua Shapiro, chief United States economist with MFR. ?While certainly a change in trend, so far the official data are not corroborating some of the more alarmist stories being bandied about recently.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/bu...syahoo&emc=rss

GR, have you been bandying about alarmist stories about real estate???
                    </NYT_TEXT>

Comment

Most of the flu-related biotechs were up today and several were up HUGE including NVAX. Wonder if there's some news forthcoming ?

Comment

Not much really of note going through on these. A few days ago SVA went up but that appears to be due to media reports of their vax testing reasonably well.

At the end of August the minor bio-flu went up together on the days you mentioned but no consistent pattern since.

hypothesis: some speculative money went into these stocks on basis the flu stories would mount as we approach the northern hemisphere winter?

Comment

Originally posted by doe22
                          ... hypothesis: some speculative money went into these stocks on basis the flu stories would mount as we approach the northern hemisphere winter?
                          Welcome doe22. I think that now is the time for speculators to dive into the bio-flu stocks, just before the fall flu season starts.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Today the bf related stocks I watch seem to be split into two camps. The more (arguably) established stocks

GILD, MEDI, BAX were generally a bit down

While the more rag tag stocks

AVII +2.22%
                            VRA +2.63%
                            PPHM +1.67%
                            NVAX +2.51%
                            SVA +1.11%
                            VICL -0.21%

healthy but not extravagant rises. Generally the market had a mixed day so its a little strange that all these (arguably) second line stocks did well?

Generally ROG.VX and GSK.L are not good indicators since they have wide portfolio's of drugs and are influenced by many factors.

Comment

Generally ROG.VX and GSK.L are not good indicators since they have wide portfolio's of drugs and are influenced by many factors. Doe22

IMO, MEDI, BAX, and GILD also belong in that camp. Your rag tag flu-biotechs are exactly the ones that I follow plus a few others particularly BCRX.

Eric Bolling from CNBC's 'Fast Money' tonight did pick GILD as his play on bird flu because of Tamiflu. <!-- / message -->

Comment

Originally posted by Binkerbear
                                MEDI, BAX, and GILD also belong in that camp.
                                They are too large and have too many other profit lines? Maybe true. Their charts since June 2005 display similarities to the more pure bioflu stocks in that they showed signficant run ups last jul-oct ( but to less extent ).

I also watch solvay and crucell in Europe but they do not seem to have such a clear cut pattern.

Comment

Working...
                                X