Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTX says investigating 'unauthorized transactions' - Ontario, CA Teachers marks down $95 million investment in FTX to zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTX says investigating 'unauthorized transactions' - Ontario, CA Teachers marks down $95 million investment in FTX to zero

https://www.reuters.com/technology/f...ns-2022-11-12/
    Nov 12 (Reuters) - Collapsed crypto exchange FTX said on Saturday it had seen "unauthorized transactions", with analysts saying millions of dollars worth of assets had been withdrawn from the platform.

Blockchain analytics firm Elliptic said that around $473 million worth of cryptoassets were "moved out of FTX wallets in suspicious circumstances early this morning," but that it could not confirm that the tokens had been stolen...
    Last edited by Emily; November 22, 2022, 05:35 AM.

Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic H.R. 834

i love myself. the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever. ---- nayyirah waheed
    Governments don't have or own souls.

(My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)
    Never forget Excalibur.

https://sonar21.com/did-russia-just-strike-poland/
    15 November 2022 by Larry Johnson

The United States, by contrast, is exercising great caution. Part of the reason for that hesitancy is the financial collapse of FTX, which is exposing evidence that the Democrats, some Republicans, the Ukrainians and FTX organized an elaborate financial kickback scheme. The scheme involved promising members of Congress who sent money to Ukraine a hefty contribution in turn from a Democrat benefactor. In this case, the owner of FTX. Once the U.S. dollars were credited to Ukraine’s account, President Zelensky and his partners diverted some of the proceeds to purchase crypto currency from FTX. FTX, in turn, sent some of that funds back to the cooperating members of Congress and the Democrat National Committee. This scheme is unraveling. The dummies mistakenly believed that crypto is untraeable. Nope. Thanks to block chain, eminently traceable....

Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic H.R. 834

i love myself. the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever. ---- nayyirah waheed

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

ha! just an old fashioned ponzi scheme...

Comment

• Emily
        Emily commented
        Editing a comment
        Certainly could have that element. Larry Johnson's new post has an interview where he says his friend in the DEA said the whole FTX issue started with an investigation into fentanyl money laundering. That uncovered possible fraud and possible foreign government corruption.

They use the analogy of the tide going out and revealing hidden things for the Fed tightening of credit. I think of it as drying up Lake Meade revealing the mob's skeletons, or may a garbage dump or old foundation getting dug up in New Jersey.

FTX cryptocurrency scandal is just the beginning | Will Cain Podcast

145K views 2 days ago

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

See who's got the dirty money - start here:
        https://www.fec.gov/data/receipts/in...0bankman-fried

I think there are other FTX/Alameda Research affiliated 'donors', too.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/gillib...r-ftx-debacle/
        Gillibrand latest Democrat to dump Biden megadonor Sam Bankman-Fried after FTX debacle
        By Steven Nelson
        November 16, 2022

WASHINGTON — Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is the latest politician to say she will offload campaign contributions from disgraced former cryptocurrency “billionaire” Sam Bankman-Fried — who poured millions into electing President Biden before his business FTX went bust last week with up to $2 billion in client funds missing.

The New York Democrat moved to distance herself from Bankman-Fried following similar steps by at least four other congressional Democrats and one Republican — as FTX’s collapse echoes the downfall of Bernie Madoff’s infamous Ponzi scheme, with victims ranging from a teachers’ pension fund to elite venture capitalists and institutional bankers...

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

bump this

Comment

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-markets
            November 19, 2022
            Felix Salmon
            The downfall of SBF hit the effective altruism (EA) movement particularly hard.

State of play: SBF was one of the largest donors in the EA ecosystem, and that source of funds has dried up forever.
            • Other believers in EA are reconsidering their prior beliefs in light of what they've learned about SBF.
            • Even SBF himself turns out to have professed his belief in EA largely for selfish reasons.

Where it stands: The weakness of pursuing low-probability outcomes with positive expected value has become very obvious — especially within the EA community, which is small and very focused on the FTX fiasco.

For the record: In a Twitter DM conversation, Vox's Kelsey Piper put it to SBF that he was "really good at talking about ethics, for someone who kind of saw it all as a game."
            • "Ya," SBF replied. "hehe."
            • "I had to be. It's what reputations are made of."
            • SBF talked about how "we woke westerners" play a game — where "we say all the right shibboleths and so everyone likes us."

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

Money, including pandemic stimulus, flowed into a lot of unusual alternative investment vehicles over the past decade as interest rates were held artificially low to stimulate the economy. Interest rates have returned to normal. One year bank CDs now pay over 4% with no risk to the average consumer. Series I savings bonds have been paying over 6% for the past year. A lot of this money is going to try to flow back out of these alternative investments and back into the banks and into government bonds, and some of these alternative investments were not set up to be able to withstand that kind of outflows of money.

That, and some of those alternative investments were simply scams in the first place and are now being exposed.

Comment

• Emily
                Emily commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a very clear synopsis of the big picture, Alert. The Will Cain interview of Jeffry Tucker goes into that at length. If Powell is truly serious about fighting inflation, rates have to go much higher to match the inflation rate. Tucker thinks he is serious, but I think a law was passed in the 70's that gives congress more control over Fed policy. That is why I think we have so many bubbles that benefit insiders at the expense of everyone else. Cain looks very worried about his 401K at the end.

https://www.pionline.com/pension-fun...tment-ftx-zero
              November 18, 2022 01:23 PM

Ontario Teachers marks down $95 million investment in FTX to zero

Bloomberg

Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan said it will write down its stake in FTX to zero, taking a $95 million loss barely a year after making its first investment in Sam Bankman-Fried's now-bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange.

Teachers said the write-down will have only a "limited impact" because it's less than 0.05% of the C$242.5 billion ($182 billion) pension fund. "However, we are disappointed with the outcome of this investment, take all losses seriously and will use this experience to further strengthen our approach," it said in a statement Thursday...

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

They were after all asset classes in the US, not just crypto. If this wasn't stopped now, it would have been a major disaster for the country.

CME Group CEO Terry Duffy reacts to FTX collapse, called Sam Bankman-Fried an 'absolute fraud'
                152,749 views Nov 22, 2022

https://sonar21.com/who-funded-ftx-a...he-key-issues/
                Who Funded FTX and Why? That Is One of the Key issues
                20 November 2022 by Larry Johnson

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

This supports that FTX was a device intended to be used to re-structure the capital markets. Dumb as that plan was, now there is another.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/26/sec-ch...d-ftx-scandal/
                  SEC chair Gary Gensler rushing to unveil big changes amid FTX scandal

By Charles Gasparino
                  November 26, 2022 8:31pm Updated

You would think that with the FTX scandal still brewing and investors missing billions of dollars from their supposedly secured crypto accounts, Securities and Exchange Commission chair Gary Gensler would have so much on his plate, he wouldn’t have time to muck around in our capital markets, which are working just fine.

But sources tell me Gensler is doing just that — preparing to unveil plans for the biggest changes in about two decades to the way stocks are routed from buyers to sellers. If Gensler’s timing holds, he will announce (possibly this week) an open meeting for mid-December that will detail his plan to remake the nation’s $46 trillion stock market, as I first reported on Fox Business.

The idea is to jam out his proposed changes — and they’re pretty significant — before year’s end.
                  Why the rush? The word inside the SEC is that Gensler wants to get much of the work on it done before the new GOP Congress takes over Jan. 3. While a probe of Hunter Biden’s swampy business dealings is high on the list of the incoming committee chairs, Gensler knows he also has a target on his back for his ambitious — some would say zealous — progressive agenda at an agency that has a core mission of protecting investors from being ripped off by scammers.

The Gensler SEC has moved so far beyond this mission that he’s looking to score lefty points and join the Environmental Social Governance bandwagon by forcing companies to disclose non-financial metrics such as how they are reducing their carbon footprint.

The House Financial Services Committee, meanwhile, is intent on grilling Gensler on what he knew about the shenanigans of Sam Bankman-Fried, the Democratic megadonor under criminal investigation over the implosion of the crypto exchange FTX. The company is now in bankruptcy, while SBF, as he’s known, remains in the Bahamas....

Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

Working...
                  X