Pandemic: Managing Mortality Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandemic: Managing Mortality Risk

Could tapping into capital markets in the form of extreme-mortality bonds help to immunize the insurance industry against catastrophic risk?
    [snips]
    The risk of pandemic disease is so unmanageable that many insurance carriers don?t even bother to try. Hedging the risk through traditional treaty reinsurance (in which the reinsurer assumes a specific portion or category of risk) is so costly that it can put pressure on earnings. When forced to balance quarterly performance results against potential long-term risk, most insurance companies have concluded that the likelihood of an event simply doesn?t justify the expense.

But does it? Three pandemics (and a near miss) have all occurred in the past century. Fortunately, a new approach has surfaced in the area of insurance-linked securities (ILS).* By tapping into the depth and flexibility of capital markets through extreme-mortality bonds?a subset of catastrophe bonds?insurance and reinsurance companies may be able to remove pandemic risk from their portfolios and better manage the cost of coverage.

Management Solutions? (RMS) pandemic model puts an outbreak on the level of the 1957 influenza pandemic as a 1-in-40-years event. According to RMS, the chances of a 1918-caliber outbreak (which could result in at least 2 million fatalities in the United States alone) are even more remote: 1 in 475 years.

At the same time, markets around the world are interconnected, and insurance companies are globalizing their life portfolios. Even as pandemic risk becomes medically more remote, the costs of such an event grow higher.

Given the difficulties?and lack of perceived benefit?associated with transferring pandemic risk, insurers have traditionally downplayed its importance. Typically, they believe that having enough capital relative to peers provides ample protection, under the assumption that not being the first carrier drained of capital is sufficient. They argue that doomsday scenarios, in which the implications are world-changing, simply cannot be hedged.

2 page pdf: http://www.contingencies.org/janfeb09/pandemic.pdf
    The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Re: Pandemic: Managing Mortality Risk

The insurers are co-dependent. The current credit collapse and freeze have pointed out that derivatives are the kiss of death.

This entire concept of mortality bonds is a farce. There's nothing strong enough financially to protect the entity.

I'll sell mortality bonds from the back of my truck (as if I owned a truck) to anyone at any price.

The facts that have occurred in the marketplace prove this is an unreal offering; it's not been a fraud as the offerors were previously unwashed in the consequences of collapse. Now, however, they know the implications of infrastructural collapse. The offerors should withdraw the insurance at the earliest possible moment.

Comment

Re: Pandemic: Managing Mortality Risk

I never gave thought to how the insurance companies would pay (or not) in a pandemic; so I thought this was an interesting study. IIrc, only 1 was sold at the time of writing, so there appears not much interest one way or another.

I have a truck. Can I make money selling mortality bonds? Got any buyers? :-)
      The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Working...
      X