• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget cuts affect healthcare

State, federal cuts spur 14 county layoffs

July 26, 2011 10:44 PM
    Jared Janes
    The Monitor
    EDINBURG ? Fourteen employees will be laid off from the Hidalgo County Health and Human Services Department this week due to a decline in federal and state grants.

Effective Friday, the 14 employees will be pink-slipped once grants from three programs are eliminated or slashed for the new fiscal year, department director Eddie Olivarez told Hidalgo County commissioners Tuesday. The department?s layoffs will come from bioterrorism, pandemic flu prevention and early warning infectious disease surveillance.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Texas: Budget cuts affect disease surveillance

Lack of revenue affects clinics
    End of two programs considered
    By Alayna Shulman
    Record Searchlight
    Posted August 7, 2011 at 11:16 p.m.

To make up for dwindling state revenue, Shasta County's Public Health Department wants to pare down its immunization and sexually transmitted disease clinics.

After a public hearing at Tuesday's Board of Supervisors meeting, supervisors will decide whether to approve the agency's plan to eliminate its weekly half-day STD clinic, offered in Redding, and its immunization clinic at the regional services office in Shasta Lake.

The STD clinic has 120 patients a year, while the immunization clinic gets about 96 patients annually, according to a board report from Donnell Ewert, director of public health.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X