Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharon sanders
    replied
    There are a lot of jokes circulating on twit now. Here is one about the replacement for the censor guru that was fired yesterday:

Craig Spencer MD MPH
    @Craig_A_Spencer
    16h

BREAKING : Twitter reportedly hiring Iver Mectin to tackle Covid-19 misinformation across the platform.

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
    ·
    6h

Spoiler alert
    let the good times roll

14h
    the bird is freed

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

Elon Musk Buys Twitter, Fires CEO and CFO

With takeover deal completed, Chief Executive Parag Agrawal and Chief Financial Officer Ned Segal, among others, are fired

By Lauren Thomas
    Follow
    and Alexa Corse
    Updated Oct. 27, 2022 9:00 pm ET

Elon Musk completed his takeover of Twitter Inc. TWTR 0.66%increase; green up pointing triangle Thursday, according to people familiar with the matter, capping an unusual corporate takeover battle and setting up one of the world’s most influential social-media platforms for potentially sweeping change.

Mr. Musk fired Chief Executive Parag Agrawal and Chief Financial Officer Ned Segal after the deal closed, the people said. Spokespeople for Twitter didn’t comment.

It wasn’t immediately clear who would step into those top positions. CNBC previously reported the firings.

more...

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied
    It appears we are getting a lot of support on twit. A sample:

All
    Mentions
    See new Tweets Notifications

Cliff
    and 36 others followed you

Pam
    and 11 others liked a Tweet you were mentioned in
    People to follow on flu @florian_krammer @MackayIM @Fla_Medic @FluTrackers @marynmck @Laurie_Garrett @InfectiousDz @ChuBailiang @Lingling_Wei

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

Eurosurveillance
    liked your Tweet
    Hi Everyone! We missed you. We will see how this goes.

A few things:

1)We are still the same. We do not shift to "mantra of the day."
    2)Do not donate to us.
    3)We do not promote or sell anything.
    4)If you have any medical questions, consult your medical practitioner.

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied
    It appears traffic to us from twitter is unimpeded. So for now I will continue to tweet the site. They are using us, so we will use them right back. Mike Coston says he found our H5N6 post about the new case yesterday on page one this morning. By the time I check we were down the line somewhere.....who knows where....not anywhere near page one. So apparently google search engine indexing runs in cycles?

Anyway....

We have received many favorable comments for returning:

Patricia Bruijning
    and 9 others liked your Tweet

Thank you for all of the supportive comments!

The Team at FluTrackers

-----------------------------------------------------

Emrah Kırımlı.
    @EMRAHKIRIMLI
    ·
    2h
    Replying to
    @FluTrackers
    Will we track this season?

--------------------------------------------

Carol Gold
    @caroldgold
    ·
    11h
    Replying to
    @FluTrackers
    Welcome back. You are the reason I saw the approaching tsunami in January 2020.

----------------------------------------------

Mike Rinaldi
    @ponzo54

13h
    Replying to
    @FluTrackers
    Please stick around! I first found out about COVID from you - before anyone knew it was a virus, before anyone knew it was a coronavirus, and before it was called COVID. You were the first to report on both Ebola outbreaks and MERS-CoV as well!

---------------------------------------------

Pat
    @Most765
    Sep 22
    Replying to
    @FluTrackers
    Just discovered you are back again. I’m so glad.

---------------------------------------------

And many more likes.....

Thank you everyone for supporting Independent Media with your likes!
    Last edited by sharon sanders; September 24, 2021, 05:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied
    I spoke to Mike Coston about this and we are not changing our ways.

FluTrackers will remain the same. We will not capitulate to "flavor of the day" mantras. We are not a political or religious site.

We still do not take any government or corporate $. We are all volunteers from around the world.

We still are not asking for any donations in this pandemic.

Take care of you.

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	twitterreturn.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	924132

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied
    It appears that google has extremely prioritized acceptable media in their search engine results. It appears that government sources are first, then followed by acceptable main stream media, followed by lessor main stream media, then random main stream media. Anything "flublogia" is hard to find. For example using the search terms: H5N1 avian flu. Crof's H5N1 blog was on the first page of google search with these terms since about 15 years. Same with Avian Flu Diary. I specifically did not pick COVID-19 terms because that topic is saturated.

Page 1:

Michael Coston's blog Avian Flu Diary finally appears on page 14 of a google search with the following seven year old post despite the fact that he is a leader in the world on the latest H5N6 news for 2021:

PNAS: H5N1 Propagation Via Migratory Birds - Avian Flu Diary

https://afludiary.blogspot.com › 2014/12 › pnas-h5n1-...
    Dec 24, 2014 — Covering Pandemic and Seasonal Flu, H5N1 `Bird Flu, Emerging Infectious Diseases, public health, community & Individual preparedness, ...

Vincent Racaniello's Virology Blog appears also on page 14 with an 8 year old post:

A single amino acid change switches avian influenza H5N1 ...

https://www.virology.ws › 2013/06/11 › a-single-amino...
    Jun 11, 2013 — Influenza virus initiates infection by attaching to the cell surface, a process mediated by binding of the viral hemagglutinin protein (HA) to ...

No H5N1 blog by page 15. I give up. What is happening here? Has google search engine re-calibrated search result priorities so that only government mantra sites are found in the first few pages? If so, this is really counterproductive. As far as I can tell H5N1 blog and Virology blog are highly COVID-19 pro-vaccine. Has google has swept the internet with a broad brush to eliminate COVID-19 "misinformation"?

As for FluTrackers - we provide information. Our continuing recommendation is for people to consult their medical practitioner for all medical questions. We have a scientific library that is loaded with vaccine information including trials, prospective candidates, problems, efficacy, side effects, etc.

So if the google search engine is selecting whole classes of internet formats and pushing them to the back of the line - I would like to remind google executives that you too will be called to the post COVID-19 tribunals.

As a result of this observation, reluctantly, I am going to test our traffic from twitter this week to see what is going on there.

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied
    Wow...desperate times....the best thing to do when you are in a hole is to stop digging....

Twitter is exploring a subscription option called 'super follows'

The potential feature, which is still in development and may not launch, would allow users to solicit tips or charge money for exclusive content.

more..

The potential feature, which is still in development and may not launch, would allow users to solicit tips or charge money for exclusive content.

Leave a comment:

• Shiloh
    replied
    Social-Media Algorithms Rule How We See the World. Good Luck Trying to Stop Them.
    What you see in your feeds isn’t up to you. What’s at stake is no longer just missing a birthday. It’s your sanity—and world peace.
    By Joanna Stern
    Jan. 17, 2021 7:00 am ET

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when we lost control of what we see, read—and even think—to the biggest social-media companies.

I put it right around 2016. That was the year Twitter and Instagram joined Facebook and YouTube in the algorithmic future. Ruled by robots programmed to keep our attention as long as possible, they promoted stuff we’d most likely tap, share or heart—and buried everything else.

Bye-bye, feeds that showed everything and everyone we followed in an unending, chronologically ordered river. Hello, high-energy feeds that popped with must-clicks.

At around the same time, Facebook—whose News Feed has been driven by algorithms since 2009—hid the setting to switch back to “Most Recent.”

No big deal, you probably thought, if you thought about it at all. Except these opaque algorithms didn’t only maximize news of T. Swift’s latest album drops. They also maximized the reach of the incendiary—the attacks, the misinformation, the conspiracy theories. They pushed us further into our own hyperpolarized filter bubbles.

“There are bad people doing bad things on the internet—QAnon, white supremacists—it’s not that Facebook, YouTube and other social-media
    sites allow it on their platform. It’s that they amplify it,” says Hany Farid, a computer science professor at the University of California, Berkeley.

The worst-case scenarios are no longer just hypothetical. People are shown things that appeal most to them, they click, they read, they watch, they fall into rabbit holes that reinforce their thoughts and ideas, they connect with like-minded people. They end up in their own personalized version of reality. They end up inside the U.S. Capitol.

Certainly social media isn’t alone to blame. And when the blame does fall on social media, the robots aren’t the only ones culpable. The silencing of President Trump’s Facebook and Twitter accounts revealed the opposite: The humans running these companies still have final say over what does—and doesn’t—appear. (And last I checked, we can still opt out of using social media at all.)

But at the heart of it all, this is still a gigantic technology problem: Computers are in charge of what we see and they’re operating without transparency...

Read more: https://www.wsj.com/articles/social-...em-11610884800

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

It's your Twitter anniversary! Celebrate with a special Tweet created just for you

-----------------------------------------------------

I have never seen this before (since 2009). Maybe they are trying to pump up the remaining accounts. lol

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Germany and France surprisingly backed United States President Donald Trump after he was banned from social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook extending Europe's battle with big technology.

Germany and France blast the “digital oligarchy” for shutting out Trump from social media platforms
    Tuesday, January 12th 2021 - 09:10 UTC

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied
    We are down another 100 net followers for a total of a loss of about 400 in the last few days. We now have 25,300 followers which is pretty good for not tweeting since September! lol

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    I read that Parler's server provider is Amazon. Their investment in that area is apparently much bigger than their warehouse/shipping/media business.

Quantum many-body systems (QMBs) are some of the most challenging physical systems to simulate numerically. Methods involving approximations for tensor network (TN) contractions have proven to be viable alternatives to algorithms such as quantum Monte Carlo or simulated annealing. However, these methods are cumbersome, difficult to implement, and often have significant limitations in their accuracy and efficiency when considering systems in more than one dimension. In this paper, we explore the exact computation of TN contractions on two-dimensional geometries and present a heuristic improvement of TN contraction that reduces the computing time, the amount of memory, and the communication time. We run our algorithm for the Ising model using memory optimized x1.32x large instances on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). Our results show that cloud computing is a viable alternative to supercomputers for this class of scientific applications.

Simulation of Quantum Many-Body Systems on Amazon Cloud

As such they are an infrastructure provider. I'm not comfortable with political censorship at that level. So far they have provided no evidence of claims the website did anything wrong legally. I don't belong to the site so can't investigate myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X