Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion thread II - Covid-19 (new coronavirus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran’s Authorities Lying About Coronavirus
    10 February 2020
    By Jubin Katiraie

The Iranian government says that no one in Iran has contracted the Coronavirus, but there are reports of suspected cases, and the authorities are failing to take the necessary precautionary measures to stop the virus from spreading...

By Jubin Katiraie The Iranian government says that no one in Iran has contracted the Coronavirus,  but there are reports of suspected cases, and the authorities are failing to take the necessary precautionary measures to stop the virus from spreading. The health adviser of Zanjan Province’s Medical Sciences University said on February 6 that a […]

Comment

• Just looking at the latest numbers from Hubei province and trying to summarize to get a sense as to what is going on there. I have heard that the average case takes 2 weeks to result in death but that less severe cases might be discharged quicker. Anyway, 14 days ago on January 28 there were 3554 confirmed cases in Hubei and we have 3196 cases that have resolved in discharge or death today plus some unknowns. We still have 30% of the resolved cases resulting in death out of the cases that are being tested, which by all reports, are the people that have more than just mild symptoms in Hubei.

I parsed through the 31,728 total cases to date Hubei:

2222 discharged
      3445 waiting to be admitted/unknown status
      18,743 hospitalized in good/fair conditions
      5046 hospitalized in serious condition
      1298 hospitalized in critical condition
      974 dead

Comment

• My thanks to a friend of FT:

Uyghurs and the China Coronavirus
        An epidemic and crowded mass detention camps are a potentially deadly combination.
        By Munawwar Abdulla
        February 05, 2020
        Uyghurs and the China Coronavirus
        Credit: 新疆司法行政

The World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a global public health emergency on January 30. The Chinese government initially heavily obscured the severity of outbreak in the early days, leading to inadequate initial handling and the spread of the virus to other parts of the world. The outbreak that began in Wuhan is now a matter of global concern, with more than 24,000 confirmed total cases in 27 countries and at least 494 deaths...

Read more: https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/uygh...a-coronavirus/

Comment

• JJackson
          JJackson commented
          Editing a comment
          I do not know thediplomat site but this article seems very biased. To say China was either slow or secretive is plain wrong, I doubt any country in the world has ever mobilized as quickly or massively to cope with an emergency - or could. I watched FEMA in action post Katrina and China now and the comparison is very much in China's favour. To have picked up the Fish Market cluster against the ILI background was very impressive and, due to the cenralised undiagnosed pneumonia reporting system instituted after SARS, the WHO was notified immediately and the first sequences released straight away. I am very thankful that this has happened in China, not because I have a problem with the Chinese, but because I think they are doing a better job than anyone else would have.
          Last edited by JJackson; February 11, 2020, 05:37 PM.

• Interesting clips of the announcements on the Diamond Princess. Loud speaker gives information updates and guidance.

part 1:

part 2:

Comment

• Emily
          Emily commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm glad the interior cabin guests are being encouraged to get outside. I remember photos of 1918 flu patients outside getting fresh air and sun. The captain is very good and aware of the psychological issues. Seems a great burden to be put just on Japan and this cruise line.

• Just stumbled across a really good resource (Medcram) for people who struggle to interpret the clinical studies and/or data, or even people who do know how to analyse a paper, but are just are struggling with time. This link will take you to the coronavirus section. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...A8tW0Mf1iiuuM_

Comment

• Emily
          Emily commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks very helpful, Vibrant.

• China - 2019-nCov case numbers are now worthless because they are not counting lab confirmed asymptomatic cases - February 7, 2020

Comment

• Emily
          Emily commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't understand why they would take that approach. It will make the mortality/hospitalization rate look worse.

• California, Santa Clara County has declared a local emergency due to the coronavirus outbreak, a procedural move that allows the county to leverage state funds and mutual aid resources if more cases of the virus are confirmed locally.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/10/coronavirus-public-risk-still-low-but-santa-clara-county-declares-local-emergency-to-prepare/amp/

Comment

• Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
          More from the "outlawed cult" Epoch Times. As we have a disclaimer posted about all government case numbers we also do not know the validity of the below you tube.

Viewer beware.

Epoch times phone investigation conducted Feb 4, investigator pretending to be from the Central party office in the below youtube.

They had previously conducted extensive and similar phone investigations for forced organ harvesting. The results of these phone interviews have been reviewed and deemed credible by China Tribunal https://chinatribunal.com/ convened in London in 2018 and 19, with final judgement delivered June 2019.

Q So peak yesterday, what kind of peak? You say 29th, what is the date?

A Should be January 23 or 22, starting then, the numbers started going wrong The increase started to get rapid

A I need staff. We’re too tired, nobody getting any rest. You just asked about 3 shifts, we can’t even run 2.

Q Oh, so your 2 shifts for 24 hours, then each needs to work 10+ hours!

A My staff has not returned home.

A 100+ includes female comrades. I have 9 vehicles, each needs 4 people, for 2 shifts. So you can count, all my male staff gone to pick up bodies! Female comrades do adjustments, take phone calls, disinfection.

Q So how many can you pick up in one go?

A Before we only picked up one. Now we take everything else out of the van, can pick up at least 2. And then, we started to use minibuses, took away the seats, can pick up 7, 8 each time.

Q Oh, if that’s the case, that’s not enough vehicles for 11 furnaces. So how much time does it take to cremate each body?

Q Apart from hospitals, do you pick up bodies directly from community? Some who just collapse on the streets, they don’t end up in hospitals, right?

A Yes. I did some statistics few days ago. This is data from few days ago, not current. This past few days there’s been improvement at the hospitals. So from a few days ago, 38% were from hospitals, 61% died at home. So the healthcare access situation was pretty bad, few days ago. Just think about it. 60% died at home. Of course, those are not all from pneumonia. The figure I gave doesn’t differentiate between pneumonia and not pneumonia.

Follow up call, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zEXz9l_D8k

A I’ll take a risk and put my trust in you. Yesterday we accepted in total 127 bodies, cremated 116. Confirmed cases 8. So out of 127 we picked up, there were 8 confirmed cases according to death certificates. Suspected case 48. All these are on the death certificates I have at hand.

Sulphur Dioxide levels increased.
          TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Data from Windy.com on Sunday (Feb. 9) showed heightened levels of sulfur dioxide around Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), causing some to speculate that it is a sign of mass cremations of victims of the deadly disease.

On Sunday, images of Windy.com maps started to appear on social media, showing an alarmingly high level of sulfur dioxide being released, with no other city in China showing similar concentrations with the exception of Chongqing. Over the past few weeks, the death toll from the Wuhan virus has continued to mount, and as the true numbers appear to be suppressed, there have been accounts and anecdotal evidence of disproportionate use of crematoria in Wuhan.
          Assistant Professor Valerie Karplus and her team at MIT - and others - have been monitoring the Sulphur Dioxide levels in China for many years. None of the recent, past few years, historical images for sulphur dioxide emissions look like the image in the Taiwan news article. Indeed levels have dropped dramatically going from 25000 (thousand) tonnes per annum in 2007 to 8700(thousand) tonnes in 2017. See. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ide-emissions/ It should be relatively straight forward to confirm whether this is an ordinary anomoly.
          Last edited by kiwibird; February 16, 2020, 03:47 PM.
          "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

• Originally posted by Emily View Post
            I'm glad the interior cabin guests are being encouraged to get outside. I remember photos of 1918 flu patients outside getting fresh air and sun. The captain is very good and aware of the psychological issues. Seems a great burden to be put just on Japan and this cruise line.
            According to the reports from medics in China, people with weakened immune systems are most likely to suffer from severe infections - and at a biochemical level, the most critical things for a healthy immune system are (in priority order) zinc, vitamin D and selenium - so sunlight is a really good idea to top up those Vit D levels....

Comment

• Aspen Institute Public Health Grand Rounds - Coronavirus : The New Pandemic? (live streamed today Feb 11th)

Comment

• I didn't know where to post this, or if it had already been posted, but assume someone wise will put it where it belongs.

h/t miabelieves

Coronavirus: Peruvian died of this disease in the United States and his body was repatriated

A 72-year-old Peruvian woman died from coronavirus in the city of Los Angeles, in the United States, and his body was repatriated to our country, TV Peru reported.

The document issued by the California Department of Public Health indicates that the Peruvian citizen died at the Torrance Memorial Medical Center on January 17.

[snip]

According to the death certificate, the cause of his death is the deadly virus of Chinese origin that triggered pneumonia and other complications in his health.

Comment

• Viewer Beware

translation from a friend of FluTrackers

Q I want to ask you what is your situation now? About your work, are you all reporting to work? Or are things closed because the city is closed?

A Yes, 90% staff at work.

Q 90? You guys not scared of infection?

A Nothing we can do. We are required to go on the front lines. We have been back at work since 28, 29 of last month (Jan 22, 23).

Q Oh really? Did not take a break?

A Correct. Not taken break. Up to today, haven’t gone home for few nights already.

Q Oh that’s so tough. So what is your work? Do you go and pick up bodies at hospitals? Or you just wait here?

A We have to go, to get the bodies. We’re on standby all day.

Q So which hospitals do you go to? Are there so many bodies? Did so many people die?

A Yes, but I can’t talk to you about this.

Q How many bodies can you transport each night? I heard you’re short of body bags.

A Yes yes yes, we’re short of body bags and protective clothes, also gloves. Some bodies are in double bags.

Q Why?

A Because some hospitals already wrapped them. Some didn’t, and we have to use two layers. Because after someone gone, the gas is still in his stomach. The germs are in the stomach. Easy to spread out during transport. So need two layers body bags.

Q I want to ask, you are in contact with the body, you have infection risk too?

A Yes Q Can get infected…

A Yes Q That’s scary…

A Yes, when a person is gone, the gas stays in the stomach. So when during transport, the gas will get out.

Q So how do you do transport?

A We use protective clothes, protective goggles, N95 masks, then plastic shoes, single use gloves,

Q Standard issue plastic shoes?

A Yes. Right now we’re very short of supplies. Can’t buy anything. We can buy some parts, but now almost used up. Definitely not enough protective clothes. Some can only use raincoat. To wear on outside, instead of protective clothes.

Q Going to hospital to pick up bodies, is that considered front line?

A Yes, give them these protective clothes.Tell them to not eat, tolerate (hunger), eat in afternoon, not eat for whole day.

Q How many hours you work each day? You can’t not eat, right?

A No other way.

Q Now everybody feels that medical teams, nurses, work hard. Turns out you guys also work so hard.

A They work really hard too, they work in the front lines. Our staff are also front line, also work hard. Then have to push the body for cremation, and then the staff have to separate.

Q Don’t you need family’s consent? Are the families present?

A No, no consent. Can’t work through family consent. Family have to be separate. We do the registration, take photos, death certificate, medical certificates, coronavirus certificate. And then directly to cremation. Not going through families. Can’t let them have any contact. The only contact is our staff.

Q Don’t you need family signature?

A No family signature, because we’re afraid of second infection. If family gets contact, they will get infected.

Q How many hours you work each day? From when till when?

A Starting from morning. Can’t say what time to what time, just all day 24 hours. When we come back, some of us don’t go out, then sleep a little, rest a little. If there’s phone call, we hurry and go back to work. Because the body can’t stay too long in hospital.

Q So how many body bags do you need? Can you get as many as you need?

A Yes.

Q 24 hours. So the cremation is 24 hours, and 24 hours transport?

A Yes yes 24 hours

Q After you finish, how to deal with the ashes?

A Ashes, we keep here. Because some family, they are separated. No family can come, what to do? So we put the ashes here with us, keep for them. They (staff) are in front line,

Q....their families very worried.

A Yes, I’m very worried, because I don’t have protective clothes, no protective googles, no masks. I’m so worried. Disinfectant, we’re short of everything. Masks, we need about 250 masks each day.

Q Oh, so many..

A Yes, around 6000 a month.

Q Protective clothes?

A Also need 250 a day, 6000 a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
                  Viewer Beware

translation from a friend of FluTrackers

A They work really hard too, they work in the front lines. Our staff are also front line, also work hard. Then have to push the body for cremation, and then the staff have to separate.
                  I wonder what "have to separate" means.

Q Don’t you need family’s consent? Are the families present?

A No, no consent. Can’t work through family consent. Family have to be separate. We do the registration, take photos, death certificate, medical certificates, coronavirus certificate. And then directly to cremation. Not going through families. Can’t let them have any contact. The only contact is our staff..
                  This suggests the body removal workers are unpacking bodies or removing them from body bags before cremation which would seem to increase risk. On the other hand, implanted medical devices such as pacemakers and ICDs with significant size batteries usually need to be removed to prevent explosion during cremation.

Comment

• North Korean coronavirus suspect refugees returned from China are quarantined with terminal tuberculosis patients 'because authorities don't care if they become infected'

Sources claim the 15 refugees are in a terminal TB hospital in Sopungsan
                    The hospital in the north is 'where terminal tuberculosis patients go to die'
                    The 15 refugees, one of whom is a child, were seized in China after they escaped from the authoritarian state in January

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-patients.html

Comment

• Coronavirus 'could infect 60% of global population if unchecked'

Exclusive: Public health epidemiologist says other countries should consider adopting China-style containment measures

Sarah Boseley Health editor

Tue 11 Feb 2020 04.47 ESTFirst published on Tue 11 Feb 2020 01.00 EST
                      His warning came after the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said recent cases of coronavirus patients who had never visited China could be the “tip of the iceberg”.

Prof Gabriel Leung, the chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University, said the overriding question was to figure out the size and shape of the iceberg. Most experts thought that each person infected would go on to transmit the virus to about 2.5 other people. That gave an “attack rate” of 60-80%.

“Sixty per cent of the world’s population is an awfully big number,” Leung told the Guardian in London, en route to an expert meeting at the WHO in Geneva on Tuesday.

Even if the general fatality rate is as low as 1%, which Leung thinks is possible once milder cases are taken into account, the death toll would be massive.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
                      -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
                      X