Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion thread II - Covid-19 (new coronavirus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco flight, along with seven others, detained at Heathrow over coronavirus fears

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 / 06:41 AM PST / Updated: Feb 14, 2020 / 06:41 AM PST
    LONDON (DAILYMAIL) – Heathrow Airport was gripped by coronavirus fears this morning when up to eight planes were put on lockdown after passengers on board complained of symptoms of the deadly virus.

Travellers on the United Airlines Flight 901 from San Francisco were told by the captain to stay in their seats after landing because someone might have the contagious infection, now named SARS-CoV-2.

Andy West, from Henley-on-Thames, told MailOnline passengers were warned by the plane’s captain that they could be on the tarmac for a while because ‘seven other planes’ also had suspected cases.

He revealed staff on the flight took a passenger to the back of the plane without wearing any protective gear or face masks and waited for health officials to come. Everyone was eventually allowed to disembark half-an-hour later.

The cautious hold-up illustrates the increasing disruption the virus is causing for travellers around the world, even where the risk of genuine infections is considerably lower than it is in the Far East.

Public Health England and Heathrow officials have so far refused to release any information about this morning’s incident, which may have affected hundreds of travellers.

But United Airlines, a US company, confirmed someone had ‘become unwell’ on board on the San Francisco flight.

...https://www.kron4.com/news/san-franc...navirus-fears/

Comment

• News Release 14-Feb-2020
      WHO underestimates the spread of the Coronavirus

Umea University

The coronavirus probably has a stronger ability to spread than the World Health Organization has estimated so far. This according to a review of previous studies of the coronavirus' transmissibility performed not least by researchers at Ume? University in Sweden.

"Our review shows that the coronavirus is at least as transmissible as the SARS virus. And that says a great deal about the seriousness of the situation," says Joacim Rockl?v, professor of sustainable health at Ume? University and one of the authors of the study, published in the scientific Journal of Travel Medicine...

Read more: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-wut021420.php

Comment

• Originally posted by gsgs View Post
        here is the whole old fluwiki forum with lots of "preppers" : http://magictour.free.fr/fw
        Wow! I made a new sub-forum for this. I thought it was lost forever.

Thank you to everyone from Flu Wiki. They were a great help to us in the beginning. demfromCT, Melanie Mattson, revere, Pogge, and all of the participants were very generous.

Comment

• thanks!!! :-)

if y'all run into jumpin jack, ping him on whether the required minimum staffing at nuclear power facilities is still 70%, after which the reactors have to shutdown. and the water guy, on whether the EPA ever lightened up on chemical storage at water treatment facilities -- iirc, it was a week's worth, and after that folks ought not drink the water...

take care --
          :-).

Comment

• Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post

Wow! I made a new sub-forum for this. I thought it was lost forever.

Thank you to everyone from Flu Wiki. They were a great help to us in the beginning. demfromCT, Melanie Mattson, revere, Pogge, and all of the participants were very generous.

It's a GREAT resource! I've had it in my pc bookmarks, for years and often go back to it! So glad it was archived, way back when!!

Comment

• Well it has been many many years for me as well but I have been lurking here from the time flutrackers began. I first posted at a bump in the road and then fluwiki. I checked the way back machine to find these archived sites. Both excellent. I believe the other site magictour.free archived pretty much all or most of the info but the way back machine, which may not have all pages, may be easier to navigate. Both these sites have excellent info on preparation, risk communication, and some of the best mental health disaster information. Hello and thank you to all and especially old timers.

bump in the road https://web.archive.org/web/20051226092112/http://www.node707.com/archives/004950.shtml

Fluwiki
              https://web.archive.org/web/20060207...=Main.HomePage

Comment

• Originally posted by senegal1 View Post
                Well it has been many many years for me as well but I have been lurking here from the time flutrackers began. I first posted at a bump in the road and then fluwiki. I checked the way back machine to find these archived sites. Both excellent. I believe the other site magictour.free archived pretty much all or most of the info but the way back machine, which may not have all pages, may be easier to navigate. Both these sites have excellent info on preparation, risk communication, and some of the best mental health disaster information. Hello and thank you to all and especially old timers.

bump in the road https://web.archive.org/web/20051226092112/http://www.node707.com/archives/004950.shtml

Fluwiki
                https://web.archive.org/web/20060207...=Main.HomePage

Thanks for this! I looked at the Flu Wiki News aggregators and blogrolls section. It was captured on February 8, 2006. FluTrackers is not listed because we had only been online for 2 days.

Comment

• as for fluwiki etc. I usually put all the posts in one file for keyword-search.
                  Then I made the archive with headlines, threads because the normal "browsing people" wanted it.
                  I have also some archived big files from flutrackers, PFI, avianfludiary and maybe others, I forgot.
                  But only occasional backups , and I stopped ~2014
                  If there is interest, I can search my old HD and make a list.
                  I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                  my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

Please do not post info from websites on the news threads where there is no "about" page or any way to understand who is behind the article. Please post odd stuff here. As the infection spreads there will be many hoax type stories. Greed will take over and people will publish fake stories to sell stuff, promote themselves, etc. We have seen this in every outbreak.

The news area needs to have the best information.

Twitter stuff belongs here. Odd sites info belongs here.

Thanks!

Comment

• Another note....

Due to security reasons I can not open various links and/or attachments in our email. Many entities try to hack into the email account, send phishing schemes of all kinds, and send emails with viruses.

If you want us to have a link or attachment, please find it again on a site that already screens for malware, like you tube, facebook, others, and send that link.

Sorry but this is the way it is.

We are subjected to DDOS attacks, hack attempts, malware in emails. fake people trying to join, bullying online and in emails, etc. It is non-stop every day.

Thanks for understanding!

Comment

Hi Everyone!

Please do not post info from websites on the news threads where there is no "about" page or any way to understand who is behind the article. Please post odd stuff here. As the infection spreads there will be many hoax type stories. Greed will take over and people will publish fake stories to sell stuff, promote themselves, etc. We have seen this in every outbreak.

The news area needs to have the best information.

Twitter stuff belongs here. Odd sites info belongs here.

Thanks!
                        Would mychinanews.com belong here then?
                        "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

• Originally posted by NawtyBits View Post

Expert: Wuhan pneumonia is still at risk of reinfection or pulmonary fibrosis sequelae after healing

Experts point out that patients who have recovered from the new type of coronavirus pneumonia still have the risk of reinfection, and they should strengthen their protection.

The new coronavirus pneumonia epidemic is raging, and many cases have been recovered so far. However, at the press conference of the National Health Commission on Friday (31st), experts pointed out that patients who are cured still have the risk of reinfection, so protection should be strengthened.

In addition, experts also mentioned that generally mild patients have no sequelae after recovery, and very severe patients may have pulmonary fibrosis for a period of time.

Zhan Qingyuan, director of the fourth and fifth department of Respiratory Medicine of the Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, China-Japan Friendship Hospital, pointed out that the general rule of viral infection, patients will produce certain antibodies after viral infection, which has a protective effect on the human body. But in fact, antibodies may not last long, so patients who have recovered from new coronavirus pneumonia still have the risk of reinfection, and they should strengthen their protection.

Regarding the question of whether the cured patients will have sequelae, Zhan Qingyuan pointed out that after clinically found that the new type of coronavirus infection, the patients were mainly damaged lungs, but mild patients should have no sequelae, and severe patients may have a residual for a period of time Lung damage repairs changes, such as fibrosis. But Zhan Qingyuan emphasized that the lung's repairing ability is very strong, and most of the fibrosis can be repaired. "But for very heavy, very, very, very few patients, they may leave a little lung for a long time. Fibrosis, we need to strengthen the follow-up. "
                          Here is the original quote from the NHC media conference on January 31, 2020:

Zhan Qingyuan:
                            This question is asked very well. From the general rule of virus infection, we will produce certain antibodies after virus infection, which will protect the human body. However, some antibodies may not last as long, so these patients who have recovered are still at risk of reinfection, so patients who have cured should strengthen their protection. For the new type of coronavirus infection, we found clinically that it mainly involves the lungs, and there should be no sequelae for mild patients, but for severe patients, there may be some lung damage repair changes in a period of time, such as lung fiber Into. From my clinical experience, the lung's repairing ability is very strong, and most of the lung fibrosis can be repaired. However, for very heavy, very, very, very few patients, a little pulmonary fibrosis may be left over a relatively long period of time, and we need to strengthen the follow-up.
                            Patients who have been cured should still pay attention to protection, and pay attention to preventing and treating colds. In addition, to strengthen rehabilitation, you can do some appropriate activities at home in the early stage. With the recovery of physical strength, you can increase the amount of activity. The amount of activity is based on feeling that you have no obvious fatigue. At the same time, we also need to pay attention to psychological counseling and rehabilitation, because some patients may develop later depression after this disease. If necessary, we recommend going to a psychological clinic. It is recommended that all patients visit the clinic regularly for follow-up reviews, including lung function and CT, to facilitate our long-term management.

Comment

Here is the original quote from the NHC media conference on January 31, 2020:

Zhan Qingyuan:
                              This question is asked very well. From the general rule of virus infection, we will produce certain antibodies after virus infection, which will protect the human body. However, some antibodies may not last as long, so these patients who have recovered are still at risk of reinfection, so patients who have cured should strengthen their protection. For the new type of coronavirus infection, we found clinically that it mainly involves the lungs, and there should be no sequelae for mild patients, but for severe patients, there may be some lung damage repair changes in a period of time, such as lung fiber Into. From my clinical experience, the lung's repairing ability is very strong, and most of the lung fibrosis can be repaired. However, for very heavy, very, very, very few patients, a little pulmonary fibrosis may be left over a relatively long period of time, and we need to strengthen the follow-up.
                              Patients who have been cured should still pay attention to protection, and pay attention to preventing and treating colds. In addition, to strengthen rehabilitation, you can do some appropriate activities at home in the early stage. With the recovery of physical strength, you can increase the amount of activity. The amount of activity is based on feeling that you have no obvious fatigue. At the same time, we also need to pay attention to psychological counseling and rehabilitation, because some patients may develop later depression after this disease. If necessary, we recommend going to a psychological clinic. It is recommended that all patients visit the clinic regularly for follow-up reviews, including lung function and CT, to facilitate our long-term management.

That makes a little more sense. I'll stop trying to help. Thanks for cleaning up after me.

Comment

• Exclusive: Millions to be told 'stay at home' if coronavirus continues to spread

Health officials expected to order anyone with the sniffles to 'self-isolate' at home if the virus is not contained

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...tinues-spread/

Comment

• Perfect example of why Sharon wants news vetted well: I got duped by a false headline, tonight. Thank goodness some other prepper friends helped to vet the source. Here's the orignal Link:
                                BREAKING NEWS: Six coronavirus cases confirmed in Wilmington

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...4odqKzEKHH3gaj

Five Americans and one Chinese have tested positive for coronavirus in Wilmington, North Carolina, authorities have said in a statement.

According to the statement, Five people became ill after coming into contact with a Chinese colleague who was visiting from Shanghai and had recently been in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.

And here's the link to debunk above legit-looking headline & link: New Hanover officials warn about ‘fake news’ of Coronavirus in Wilmington

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...ton-free-read/
                                WILMINGTON — Officials are alerting the public to fake news article claiming that there are cases of Coronavirus in the region.

The New Hanover County Public Health Department stated this information is false. ---CONTINUED---

Comment

Working...
                                X