Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion Thread I - 2019-nCov (new coronavirus)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim Oliveros View Post

I agree. I just don't understand the obsession with avoiding "panic" on the part of CDC and WHO.
    I think it comes down to the definition of panic. People should be aware, alarmed and take preparation/precautions but they should not run around like headless chickens

Comment

• Six Seafarers Fall Ill as Coronavirus Outbreak Continues
      THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE 01-28-2020 05:39:00

Six seafarers aboard a French-operated container ship have fallen ill during a voyage from China to Egypt, raising concerns that they could be the first reported mariners to have contracted the new coronavirus strain originating in Wuhan.

According to Sri Lankan media, six crewmembers aboard the container ship CMA CGM Ural were affected by an illness after calling at Ningbo, Xiamen and Shenzhen in mid-January.
      Information on the spread of the new coronavirus within China is limited, but in Shenzhen, two suspected cases (out of 12 million local residents) were reported on January 18... https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...reak-continues
      CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

• WASHINGTON DC DC Testing 2 People for Coronavirus

A third person who was tested did not have the virus, health officials say

By Gina Cook • Published 2 hours ago

Two people in D.C. are waiting on test results for coronavirus, a new virus that has killed dozens of people in China and sickened thousands, health officials announced Tuesday.

The D.C. Department of Health said a third person tested does not have the virus...https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...virus/2205248/
        CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

• China's national update:
          469 new cases, which is in addition to the 840 new cases reported 2 hours ago
          1 new death raising death toll to 132
          103 total treated and released
          9,239 suspected cases

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
            China's national update:
            469 new cases, which is in addition to the 840 new cases reported 2 hours ago
            1 new death raising death toll to 132
            103 total treated and released
            9,239 suspected cases
            What is the total number of cases in China now?
            "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

• What's going on in Thailand?

Comment

• The latest I have on Thailand is that they have eight confirmed cases.

There appears to be a cluster in Germany, with four now confirmed who work for the same company.
                "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

• 5,974 total cases now.

Newly reported cases today were less than those yesterday. 1,459 vs 1,771. Signs of slowing or related to new year?
                  Twitter: @RonanKelly13
                  The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronan Kelly View Post
                    5,974 total cases now.

Newly reported cases today were less than those yesterday. 1,459 vs 1,771. Signs of slowing or related to new year?
                    The video in this thread is really good. According to the speaker, there will be separate peaks in each of the major Chinese cities and although the text on his graphs is hard to read, it looks like the modeled peaks don't occur until May 2020. I think we are a long way from seeing a slow down.

I didn't see that this video has been posted yet (if it has, my apologies ... please feel free to delete). VERY good info: Discussion of RO, Containment, timing of peak virus... all English https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXMPsbxFfo&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3P2QYnaxwPbPea-eppO6KpX5RHGkSR2b0-VBqyfk91LlIzv9AgKTQgWVo

Comment

• Quarantine to be set up on Christmas Island for evacuated Australians. Will last 2 weeks.

North Korea was doing similar but quarantine was 2 months (and I’m guessing not on an island).

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

We are continuing the discussion on this new thread. This one is getting too long.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
                          Source: http://www.bjnews.com.cn/news/2020/01/22/678104.html

2020-01-22 20:33:20 Beijing News Reporter: Xu Wen Editor: Li Guojun
                          New pneumonia patient dies in South China market

According to a nearby shop owner, Xiong Yijun often travels to the western part of the market because of business, which may be an important reason for his infection.

Beijing News (Reporter Xu Wen) As of 24:00 on January 21, nine patients with new coronavirus died in the epidemic. The reporter was informed that Xiong Moumou, the second official reported death in the epidemic, was the owner of a seafood store in the South China Seafood Market during his lifetime.

Liu Chang (a pseudonym), owner of a battery car repair shop near the South China Seafood Market, told reporters that Xiong Yijun (a pseudonym) 's store is located at No. 6, Sixth Street, East District, which mainly specializes in shrimps. Because of business, Xiong Yijun often went to the western part of the market. Liu Chang believed that this was an important reason for his infection. In his observation, the western part of the South China market was the hardest hit area of ​​the pneumonia epidemic. "80% of the illnesses are in the western part."

Xiong Yijun (pseudonym) played chess every morning in the alleys and neighborhoods on the north side of the eastern part of the South China Seafood Market. Photo by Beijing News reporter Xu Wen

Xiong Yijun's business is in the Eastern District, but he lives in the Western District. In the old community near the western part of the seafood market, merchants living in the South China market are affected by the market closure. Many residents have already returned to their hometown to celebrate the New Year in advance. Xiong Yijun lived here before his death. In Liu Chang's view, Xiong Yijun's life track is very fixed. Picked up at the seafood market at three or four in the morning. After busy at eight or nine, I took a break, crossed the exit on the north side of the eastern side of the seafood market, and came to play chess at the door of a grocery store every day.

According to Liu Chang, Xiong Yijun has three daughters who all do business in the South China market. One of them is a member of the South China Market Shrimp Association. After Xiong Yijun's death, the three daughters returned to the market, but have not seen each other since. He speculated that the daughter may have been isolated.

In Liu Chang's memory, Xiong Yijun was not tall, looked quite lean, and spoke loudly. His sudden death surprised Liu Chang.

According to the official report, the deceased Xiong Moumou, male, 69 years old, became ill on December 31, 2019, and became worse on January 4, 2020, and was transferred to Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital for treatment. He was admitted with severe myocarditis (myocardial enzymes reached normal) 20 times the value, abnormal ECG); abnormal renal function; severe damage to multiple organ functions; chest CT showed pulmonary fibrous lesions, pleural effusion, and pleural thickening. Considering tuberculosis and pleural tuberculosis, at 15: 00 on January 15 Death due to ineffective rescue.

Beijing News reporter Xu Wen

Editing Li Guojun Proofreading Li Lijun
                          Warning about this post. The photo shows two people lying on the ground. https://mobile.twitter.com/hanrongli...03762371301376 Google translated caption states: "
                          New coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #Wuhan pneumonia Two corpses wearing CCP uniforms lie on the street, and they are also physical bodies! Viruses are not classified, do n’t go crazy Sick, two corpses wearing CCP uniforms Wuhan virus can invade the heart and cause viral myocarditis. Due to the painless heart, it directly caused sudden death. Now there are people all over the country who suddenly fall on the street and are not counted as Wuhan pneumonia" Perhaps we should start a thread looking at viral myocarditis related to the NcoV?
                          "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

• Originally posted on this thread January 24, 2020, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by c3jmp View Post
                            actually, one more note... folks discuss airborne transmission.. CoV is roughly the size of influenza, 80nm or a little bit more. i've not seen it anywhere, but on the flu side the study below is of interest for aerosol transmission, specifically the importance of keeping indoor RH above 40% to head off formation of droplet nuclei (vs large droplet). having flu floating in dry still air for up to 24 hrs is concerning. and on the ppe side, an N95 has 300nm (.3 micron) size holes.

I wanted to bump this comment because it was really clear early on in the pandemic that COVID-19 was airborne. We have noted that here on this thread just due to its particle size and that positive relationship to suspension in air.

TPTB always knew it was airborne. That is why they hoarded the available N95 masks for use by healthcare workers.

To set the record straight.

Comment

Working...
                            X