There is no more FluTrackers on Facebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no more FluTrackers on Facebook

Apparently someone tried to hack the Flu Trackers account/page in August 2018 so they locked it. Or so facebook says. No notification was sent to the registered email.

Anyway - I can not access the account anymore. Facebook is demanding a drivers license, passport, or other government id in the name of Flu Trackers to give me access. After 30 days they say they will delete that information from their database. Well - for obvious reasons - those ids do not exist.

Sally and I reluctantly signed up for facebook as a feed for our twitter account. We did not like all of the ads but we thought as a public service we would connect. We have never engaged on facebook. Frankly, this site takes all of our administrative efforts.

After all of the alleged privacy violations, I see no reason to make an effort to re-establish FluTrackers on facebook. They asked over and over again for my phone number which I never gave them. I guess to participate on facebook now they need to lock you down. Sounds a lot like what China does to their internet participants.

1984 - only times 1000.
    Last edited by sharon sanders; January 3rd, 2019, 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
    "May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    And the pure light within you
    Guide your way on."

"Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, lies your calling."
    Aristotle

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
    Mohandas Gandhi

Be the light that is within.

There is apparently some interest in what has occurred.

1) Last night I tried to log onto our facebook account: Flu Trackers. This account has a page that our twitter account feeds to. We do not engage on this facebook account or page and it acts only as a feed. I log onto this account about twice a year to check the settings, make small updates etc. We set up this account many years ago. I don't remeber how long. Maybe 2008? There were very few corporate accounts on facebook then. We selected the name Flu Trackers - like a person.

2) When I tried to log in the prompt said that there was some unusual activity on the account so I had to prove who I was. I was given the choice of identifying pictures from friends accounts or asking friends for help. So I attempted to name the identities of the pictures shown to me from the accounts of our "friends". Well - I don't actually know most of our "friends". I did correctly identify a picture from Vincent Racaniello's account. However, I correctly identified only 1 person so I failed that test.

3) Next I was offered the chance to ask for help from 5 friends. I needed to contact them offline and ask them to send me a code which I was then to type into boxes under their names. I was not allowed to select the friends. The friends were selected for me by facebook. Well...I do not know how to contact most of our friends offline.

4) The prompt told me that I had exceeded the number of tries to identify pictures from our friends accounts. It said to try back in a few hours. Also, I could try to log in with a computer used before to access the account. That method would also identify me.

5) In the meanwhile, I was allowed to change the account password via the registered email.

6) Today I tried again. I logged in with the new password and using two computers I was able to cross check and identify 4 of the 5 pictures shown to me. I was allowed to skip two pictures and still pass the test. I skipped 1. I got 4 identifications correct. Apparently 3 correct out of 5 is a pass.

7) However, I was told that I did not pass the test and I was again offered to ask my friends for help. They selected the same friends as last night for me to contact offline and ask them to create a code for me to insert into the box under their name on the screen.

8) I just clicked on continue since I can not contact these friends offline and then I was presented with 2 lists of options for identification to submit to facebook to prove that I have legitmate access to this account. Basically the selections are all government identifications, real life utility bills, etc. Well - Flu Trackers does not have a drivers license, passport, or utilitiy bill. Facebook represented that they delete copies of submitted identifying documents within 30 days.

9) Over the years I was asked for my phone number to verify the account in case recovery was necessary - and I always refused. I do not regret this.

So that is that. I do not personally know most of the Flu Trackers "friends". I can not easily identify pictures of them from various photos in their accounts. I do not have offline contact information for our "friends". And besides - since I correctly identified 4 of the 5 pictures shown to me today from our friends accounts - why do I still need to send in government identification? AND since I have access to the registered email for this account and was able to change the password - what is the problem? Facebook knows an authorized person has access. It has been the same email since the creation of the account - many years ago.

P.s. One of the computers I used today to cross check the pictures was a computer that I used to log into the Flu Trackers account in the past. So that method to gain access did not work. My computers are old. Peeps at facebook probably assume that denying a person access due to a change in equipment is a valid possibility. Not in my case. I keep my laptops until they literally burn out. My favorite laptop was manufactured in 2009 and is eccentric.
    Last edited by sharon sanders; January 3rd, 2019, 11:05 PM. Reason: added the P.s.
    "May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    Guide your way on."

Aristotle

Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

From EFF:

An Update on Facebook’s Smear Campaign Against Critics

BY CINDY COHN AND GENNIE GEBHART
      JANUARY 8, 2019

Back in late November, the New York Times revealed that Facebook had paid a corporate PR firm called Definers Public Affairs to develop and peddle a smear campaign aimed at some of its Open Society Foundations-funded critics, including members of the Freedom From Facebook coalition.
      In response, we asked three basic questions of Facebook, all aimed at the same issue: what did Facebook do with the smear campaign information on the Facebook platform itself? Did Facebook promote the smears on its platform? Did Facebook develop different versions to target different audiences, including Congressional staffers and other influencers, as it does for key advertising customers? And, most important, what is the boundary between Facebook’s own policy interests and the operation of the platform?
      Just before the holiday break, Facebook answered our questions in a telephone call with two of its legal and communications staff. The short answer: Facebook asserts that it did not help promote Definers's messages on its own platforms. Facebook said it does not allow its own policy work to be promoted on its platforms (for example, through the ads you see or the posts that show up in your Newsfeed) without clear and unequivocal notice to its users.
      This is good as far as it goes. But Facebook must do much more if it wants to regain any of the trust it lost from this episode, especially given the dangerous waters that it chose to swim in.
      Facebook must do much more if it wants to regain any of the trust it lost from this episode.
      First, while Facebook said this time that it did not use its platform to promote its own policy positions, Facebook needs to state publicly that it will not use its own platform to, for example, secretly further attacks against critics. This should take the form of a clear, written, publicly available policy that Facebook will not use the Facebook platform for its own policy purposes without clear notice. Facebook is of course entitled to take policy positions and even to use its platform to promote them, but it must be crystal clear when it’s doing so.
      Facebook has publicly said it was reviewing its policies and procedures concerning its communications work, including with external firms, and that this process is being led by Nick Clegg. A rule ensuring strong separation and transparency requirements—with serious consequences for violations—should be part of that process.
      Second, Facebook still needs to find out what actually happened with this information. We know that Facebook’s algorithms often promote controversial and divisive content, and that both Definers and its affiliate the NTK Network have Facebook presences. Facebook might not have needed to intentionally promote this material for it to have circulated widely on Facebook. Facebook needs to investigate how and where this content spread on the platform, and tell its user base.
      Finally, Facebook must take steps to ensure that it does not participate in efforts to undermine civil society groups around the world. It is certainly reasonable for Facebook to do research into its political opponents, including the Freedom from Facebook coalition. But Facebook went over the line when it tried to push the story that these groups’ funding from George Soros meant they were were not really grassroots, and that, by actions of the philanthropies he funds, Soros might have been engaged in financial manipulation aimed at Facebook’s stock price.
      At best, this betrays a fundamental misunderstanding at Facebook about how nonprofit funding and philanthropy work. More likely, since we know that folks at Facebook know better than this, this was a cynical play into larger, ugly efforts to undermine nonprofit advocacy and the role of civil society in public debate.
      And that’s where Facebook’s strategy here is particularly dangerous. Delegitimizing civil society based upon attacks on philanthropic funding sources has long been a key part of the authoritarian playbook. The United Nations directly recognized this problem in 2013. Attempts to cut off foreign funding for civil society groups, or what Kenneth Roth of Human Rights Watch has called “The Great Civil Society Choke-Out,” have even been held to violate international law. And it's not just a historical problem. This is the strategy used today by those seeking to undermine civil society, including the increasingly authoritarian governments in Egypt, Hungary, Macedonia, and Russia. Facebook should ask whether that's the company it wants to keep.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/0...gainst-critics
      "May the long time sun
      Shine upon you,
      All love surround you,
      Guide your way on."

Aristotle

Mohandas Gandhi

Comment