Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Taiwanese transparency?

Just curious.

Were the Taiwanese authorities very transparent with WHO and the west during SARS and H5N1?

Can we ascribe a higher confidence to reporting from Taiwan regarding H7N9 versus the thick fog blowing from China?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Nika

Re: History of Taiwanese transparency?

I can say that Taiwan was pretty open during the pH1N1 Pandemic. They reported fatalities on a weekly basis during the height of the outbreak. Since then, they've been one of the few nations that has routinely reported influenza deaths. I'm hoping for the best.

Originally posted by Nika View Post
    Just curious.

Were the Taiwanese authorities very transparent with WHO and the west during SARS and H5N1?

Can we ascribe a higher confidence to reporting from Taiwan regarding H7N9 versus the thick fog blowing from China?

Thanks ahead of time.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Good to know. Thanks!
      Nika

Comment

Something to think about.

Machine translation:

"CDC refute broke the news to three hours after a nightmare come true
        2013-04-25 01:22
        China Times

However, the sources of many people the first time, was actually a netizen named suspected the NTUH doctors in the network PTT (batches kick) broke the news, the first case of H7N9 cases appeared, yesterday, the Central Epidemic Command Center first denied Three hours later, they held a press conference admits, the whistleblowers "nightmare" is all true.

Free repeating ○ 2009 novel influenza first case first diagnosed after exclusion of Oolong, the Central Epidemic Command Center commander, CDC chief Zhang Fengyi repeatedly stressed: "H7N9 first cases of serious matter , the command center (transaminase) in addition to the reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction, will be a plus gene sequencing, make absolutely sure that will be announced. "

11 am yesterday, a self-proclaimed "Oxytocin to (destroy miserable speed)" users in batch kick broke the news: "I dreamed, I heard that Taiwan's largest Baoshan Hospital (NTU is a treasure house of knowledge, NTU said privately National Taiwan University Hospital Baoshan Hospital), have confirmed H7N9, will open in the afternoon press conference. "

However, two in the afternoon when the Central Epidemic Command Center held a regular press conference, the media look to the confirmation, but was the command center refuted rumors, we do not listen.

Who would have thought the press conference finish, reporters four thirty minutes but command center received notice, "important" news conference held Friday at 30 pm, Emergency, news conference media content had an idea who, consciously like a monkey.

ZHOU Zhi-hao, CDC director, said that in respect of the disclosure or dissemination of false epidemic, the CDC will try to take persuasion to correct flexible practices, unless the perpetrator recalcitrant listen only with violation of the Communicable Disease Control Act " open penalty. "

xhttp://news.chinatimes.com/focus/501013306/112013042500493.html

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention, and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon

"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government." - Sam Houston

Comment

That translation is beyond me.
          Nika

Comment

I think the translation program was written by Yoda after too much Dagobah moonshine.
            "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

The machine translations are pretty bad sometimes. But my brain is warped enough that they sometimes make sense to me.

Below is my interpretation of the translation. To me it suggests 2 things - one is that the Taiwan CDC wanted to control the time and manner in which this first case was announced, suggesting to me that they may want to manage the flow of information in the future as well. Secondly, the CDC reminded the public that people who spread "rumors" about the epidemic are subject to penalty under the Control Act.

A Taiwanese netizen (probably microblogger) first broke the news that there was a positive case of H7N9 at the NTUH hospital. The Taiwan CDC denied it.

At 11am, the netizen stated that the CDC would confirm this news at a press conference that was already scheduled to be held at 2pm that afternoon. However, when the media asked for confirmation about the case, the CDC denied it and labeled it as a rumor.

Shortly after the press conference concluded, the media was suddenly notified that there would be an "emergency" press conference held at 4:30pm that day. At that time, the CDC made the official announcement that there was a positive case at NTUH.

The CDC director also stated that they will try to persuade people not to spread "false news" about an epidemic, But he also reminded people that the perpetrators who openly spread rumors are violating the Communicable Disease Control Act, and doing so carries a penalty.

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention, and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon

"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government." - Sam Houston

Comment

Talk of the Day -- Taiwan not H7N9-infected area

2013/04/25 22:36:08
                The epidemic command center did not brief the public on the case until Thursday evening, but a posting appeared on National Taiwan University's campus PTT online platform at 11:30 a.m. that day, saying Taiwan had a confirmed H7N9 case and that the CDC would host a news conference on the matter in the afternoon.

"We never intended to conceal the case. We were dealing with it in a cautious and prudent manner. We broke the news as soon as genetic makeup of the sample under examination was confirmed through DNA sequencing," Chang said.

"If we had called a news conference before the final test results came out, we would have had to use the term 'probably' or 'suspected. Such a report would have fueled speculation and sparked panic in the society," he added.
                The Central News Agency (CNA) is the national news agency of the Republic of China (ROC) and the most influential news organization in Taiwan.
                "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
                -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
                X