Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Science magazine live chat: Too dangerous to publish? April 26, 2012 at 3:00pm EDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science magazine live chat: Too dangerous to publish? April 26, 2012 at 3:00pm EDT

My name is Jane Lee and I'm a producer for ScienceLive, Science magazine's weekly web discussions with top experts on the hottest topics in science.

I just wanted to let people know that we'll be running a live chat on whether some research is too dangerous to publish on Thursday, April 26 at 3 PM EST. We'll also talk about how governments are getting involved in regulating these kinds of studies.

Our own David Malakoff will be moderating, and guests include Gregory Viglianti from the Boston University School of Medicine. We'll be taking questions from readers throughout the hour. You can also submit questions beforehand in the comments box at the bottom of the page.

If you can't make the live chat, we'll archive the transcript on our website so you can come back and read what happened.

Thanks, and I hope to see you online!

Re: Science magazine live chat: Too dangerous to publish?

Live Chat: Too Dangerous to Publish?

On Thursday, a U.S. Senate committee will hold a hearing that will explore how the government should regulate dual use research of concern (DURC) that could be used for good and evil. . . . .

But is some biological research simply too dangerous to publish?or conduct in the first place? Will DURC rules unnecessarily bottle up potentially beneficial research? Or do they fall short of keeping us safe? How do we find the right balance between the free flow of science and the need for security?

Join us for a live chat at 3 p.m. EDT on Thursday, 26 April, on this page. You can leave your questions in the comment box below (see link) before the chat starts. The full text of the chat will be archived on this page.

link: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...-to-publi.html
    http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
    X