• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus: The possible long-term mental health impacts

Source: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...health-impacts

Coronavirus: The possible long-term mental health impacts
    By Maddy Savage
    28th October 2020
    Covid-19 has increased anxiety for many of us, and experts warn a sizable minority could be left with mental health problems that outlast the pandemic.

From dining out at restaurants with her partner and relatives to attending book clubs with friends, Susan Kemp had an active social life before Covid-19. Since April, she’s only left her apartment near Stockholm five times, after experiencing a huge increase in social anxiety and germaphobia-based obsessive compulsive behaviours during the pandemic.

“It's like this extra stress makes me pass a breaking point that I was able to regulate better before,” says Kemp, a copywriter and part-time student in her thirties. She’s become petrified of taking public transport, more concerned about the cleanliness of cutlery and glasses and finds images of coronavirus cells triggering. “The main symptom is I start crying. I very much feel like I'm going to die, and then I cry one of those cries where your body and lungs feel sore afterwards,” she says. This is coupled with a strong disappointment that she’s “regressed” and a fear it could take years to get back on track when it comes to managing her OCD...

bump this

Comment

Working...
    X