X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America?s Invisible Pot Addicts

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...utm_source=twb

America?s Invisible Pot Addicts
    More and more Americans are reporting near-constant cannabis use, as legalization forges ahead.
    Annie Lowrey
    Aug 20, 2018

The proliferation of retail boutiques in California did not really bother him, Evan told me, but the billboards did. Advertisements for delivery, advertisements promoting the substance for relaxation, for fun, for health. ?Shop. It?s legal.? ?Hello marijuana, goodbye hangover.? ?It?s not a trigger,? he told me. ?But it is in your face.?

When we spoke, he had been sober for a hard-fought seven weeks: seven weeks of sleepless nights, intermittent nausea, irritability, trouble focusing, and psychological turmoil. There were upsides, he said, in terms of reduced mental fog, a fatter wallet, and a growing sense of confidence that he could quit. ?I don?t think it?s a ?can? as much as a ?must,?? he said.

Evan, who asked that his full name not be used for fear of professional repercussions, has a self-described cannabis-use disorder. If not necessarily because of legalization, but alongside legalization, such problems are becoming more common: The share of adults with one has doubled since the early aughts, as the share of cannabis users who consume it daily or near-daily has jumped nearly 50 percent?all ?in the context of increasingly permissive cannabis legislation, attitudes, and lower risk perception,? as the National Institutes of Health put it...

Working...
X