• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil bans swine flu drug ads

Brazil bans swine flu drug ads

From correspondents in Brasilia | August 15, 2009

Article from: Agence France-Presse

BRAZIL has slapped a temporary ban on advertisements for over-the-counter flu remedies because of fears their widespread use might mask the spread of swine flu.

The prohibition was ordered by the National Health Vigilance Agency (Anvisa), which deemed there was "a special circumstance posing a health risk."

While medicines such as paracetamol, ibuprofen and analgesics will still be available in pharmacies, ads on television, radio and online are not permitted under the measure.

"These medicines, sold over the counter in pharmacies, have the ability to relieve flu symptoms and thus obscure the risk situation" for the A(H1N1) swine flu pandemic, an Anvisa spokeswoman said.

The ad ban is aimed at getting people with flu symptoms to see a doctor rather than try to self-medicate, she said.

The over-the-counter remedies do not treat flu viruses themselves, but only alleviate obvious symptoms of headache, sore throats, nasal congestion and muscular aches.

Tamiflu, one of only two drugs shown to be effective in actually treating swine flu, is available in Brazil only on a doctor's prescription after a person is confirmed with a swine flu infection.

Brazil has at least 192 swine flu deaths, according to the health ministry, making it the country with the third highest fatality count in the world, after the United States (426 deaths) and Argentina (404).

A vaccine is being developed against the disease and is being tested in Australia and Germany. It is expected to be commercially available within two to three months.

Re: Brazil bans swine flu drug ads

#1: "paracetamol"

If they banned paracetamol, it will be tricky to the folks when they wants to rush down the risen high temperature if present, or they will overfill the health facilities ...

So home remedies, vinegar, ..., will be instaurated.

Comment

I think what they mean is that the advertising/publicity on radio/TV is forbidden. But the drugs themselves can still be bought normally at pharmacies.

[I won't say what I think the result is likely to be... ]

Comment

I will...is there a smiley with a guy sticking his head in the sand while pp suffer (and worse) around him? Just don;t get pp sometimes.....

Comment

Working...
        X