X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _|WALES: LATE SEASON INFLUENZA ACTIVITY|_

Two Hospital Wards Close Due to an Outbreak of Flu
    Posted on: Saturday, 17 May 2008, 18:00 CDT

A COMMUNITY hospital has been closed following an outbreak of influenza B.

Two wards at Maesteg Hospital have been shut after 11 patients and 17 staff became ill.

The outbreak is the sixth in Wales since March, and comes after a care home in Penarth was shut to avoid spreading the virus.

There have been more than 160 cases at care homes and community hospitals around Wales.

The virus is classed as "normal seasonal flu".

At least 14 people across Wales have died, although it is not clear whether their deaths were directly linked to the strain of influenza B.

Llynfi ward in Maesteg Hospital was closed on May 9 and Cwmhavan ward was closed as a precaution on Tuesday.

Strict infection control measures are nowin force at the hospital and visitors have been asked to stay away in a bid to stop the virus from spreading.

A spokeswoman for Abertawe and Bro Morgannwg University NHS Trust said: "We hope to be able to re-open the hospital as soon as possible. In the meantime, the trust's other hospitals and community staff are offering their full support to ensure the needs of the local community are met until Maesteg Hospital is fully functional again."

The Maesteg cases followa similar outbreak in Penarth which closed the Waverley Care Centre for three weeks.

(c) 2008 South Wales Echo. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.

Source: South Wales Echo
    -

------

Re: _|WALES: LATE SEASON INFLUENZA ACTIVITY|_

just searching google for similar events I found:

(May influenza-B in Alaska 2003)

a study would be better...
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Working...
    X