in institutes

but for masses of masks probably just heating or bleach is easiest,
    if supply is sparce
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Re: Sydney study about wearing masks

#16: "... if supply is sparce"

Ok, I can understand such policy in the midst of an unprepared infectious pandemic, but what is not enaugh good is including such grassroot dispositions as the main health care shielding policy, instead of stocking more, or change masks in decontaminable ones.

Especialy because such surgical masks shields only the droplets because the holes are big, and nor the air input which is not sealed.

It is enaugh one health care/med worker to be infected at the same time when he think it is protected by such a mask, to infect the whole team/ward.

At the end we would put on the nose an scrape of cloth and than boiled it ... can we got something better in the 21 century?

In an pandemic hospital/ER/care environment, why it is so scarry put on face at least an plastic/rubber respirator/mask with an changeable special paper filter?

In that case the mask would be reused continuously, the cost is to produce enaugh "put once" filters.

Comment

(12) is here:

they had a secondary attack rate of only 6% and found no evidence
        that hand-hygiene or masks did help
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
          (12) is here:

they had a secondary attack rate of only 6% and found no evidence
          that hand-hygiene or masks did help
          I see.

But that's an xxx household study (3 persons), and it is not applicable for modelling the shielding of med personnel at ER/hospital/care structure.

The masks didn't help obviously because simple surgery masks are non adequate for air filtering and have no sealing, all mist with an non rigid woring practice and masks reusage instead of threwing them after exposition.

The main reason why is this pressure on such evaluations is obviously only because of:

"Study: "Only non-pharmaceutical interventions [7][12] including use of (MY ADD.: SIMPLE) face masks, improved hand hygiene, cough etiquette, social distancing measures, and travel restrictions would be available to the majority of the world's population."

Comment

I have some questions:

Is it confirmed that surgical masks must be changed every time you come back home?

If you do not have the luxury of having 100 masks for yourself, is there any way to re-use them? Would bleach be a good idea? The masks are made of thin fabric... wouldn't getting them wet damage them?
            Also, I read that influenza virus can typically only live 24 hours outside of the body, couldn't you simply put them aside (heat them in the microwave? or maybe leave them in the fridge?) and wait 1 day?

Is it true, as tropical said, that the masks filter will only protect you from droplets from people sneezing, and not the smaller air-borne viruses from people coughing?

And that brings me to my final question: how easily does it spread? Would a person have to cough or sneeze on you... or can the virus simply be floating in the air on an empty street, and you walk by and inhale it?

Comment

Originally posted by harpoon View Post
              "I have some questions:

Is it confirmed that surgical masks must be changed every time you come back home? "

WRONG, CHANGED EVERY TIME AFTER CHANGING THE EXPOSING ENVIRONMENT, at least yes but for such a virus the surgical mask is totaly UN-protective ...

"If you do not have the luxury of having 100 masks for yourself, is there any way to re-use them? Would bleach be a good idea? The masks are made of thin fabric... wouldn't getting them wet damage them?
              Also, I read that influenza virus can typically only live 24 hours outside of the body, couldn't you simply put them aside (heat them in the microwave? or maybe leave them in the fridge?) and wait 1 day?"

If you want reinfect yourself from the outer side of the mask ...
              100 pieces (1 a day, 3 months) of surgical have a very low price compared to the N95/100 ...

"Is it true, as tropical said, that the masks filter will only protect you from droplets from people sneezing, and not the smaller air-borne viruses from people coughing?"

If you want dig the literature to check now in the middle of an chimerized pandemic ... go on.

"And that brings me to my final question: how easily does it spread? Would a person have to cough or sneeze on you... or can the virus simply be floating in the air on an empty street, and you walk by and inhale it?
              Current developments depict it as very infectious spreading.
              Both can harm you if the air is full of pulvisculus with infectious droplets, but an empty street without direct infected air streams probably don't.

Without an sealed mask with a net under the micron, the best you can do is ducking at home.

Comment

Working...
              X