Household Preps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Household Preps

Microfiber cloths are great for everything. They are absorbent, easy to clean, and dry fast. I keep a large basket of them in the kitchen, and I haven't bought paper towels in years. Just as an experiment, I tried drying off with one after a shower. I was just as dry as with a large, cotton towel, so this would be a good alternative if there is no washer/dryer.

Comment

Goju mentions 2nd and 3rd level preps. My family, too, has planned in terms of levels.....the most critical necessities first down to luxuries. But we also have planned the most important things (power, water, heat, communications and food, etc.) with redundancy of systems in mind. For instance take communications, the number one problem with disasters of all kinds and still an unsolved problem nationally from the federal government on down. Land-lines are nice, but if they go down then cell phones. No signal? Not having an amateur radio license, try CB transceivers, 40 channels plus weather and two emergency channels. Not enough range or blocked by mountains, etc.? Being fire-fighters we have the hand-held, mobile and base monitors that cover police, fire and rescue traffic. Even that system regularly goes down or will not work in canyons or through mountains. My back-up is a satelite phone, expensive initial price, but very low monthly service fee, and tremendous peace of mind. Useful for rescues, too, when no other communication works.

Comment

Can you recommend a satellite phone service provider?
        "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

THERE ARE THINGS ONE CAN DO FOR THE HOUSE AND HOME TO PREPARE. CAMPING INSIDE WILL BE MORE THE MODE. THE OUTSIDE IS WERE THE BIRD FLU CAN HARBOR. WOOD LEFT IN THE RAIN WILL BE A SOURCE OF CONTAMINATION. ELECTRICITY WILL BE A CLEANER SOURCE OF POWER. THE GAS SITUATION IS ONLY WORSENING. GENERATORS NEED GAS. COLEMAN STOVES ARE GOOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine123 View Post
            http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58748

THERE ARE THINGS ONE CAN DO FOR THE HOUSE AND HOME TO PREPARE. CAMPING INSIDE WILL BE MORE THE MODE. THE OUTSIDE IS WERE THE BIRD FLU CAN HARBOR. WOOD LEFT IN THE RAIN WILL BE A SOURCE OF CONTAMINATION. ELECTRICITY WILL BE A CLEANER SOURCE OF POWER. THE GAS SITUATION IS ONLY WORSENING. GENERATORS NEED GAS. COLEMAN STOVES ARE GOOD.
            Yes, camping indoors may be necessary once a pandemic starts. In a cold climate indoor camping may be required depending on your heating sources. Cooking indoors is also a serious issue, but Coleman stoves, the ones that use "white gas", are not safe for indoor cooking.

White gas (Coleman fuel). Many families have camp stoves which burn Coleman Fuel or white gasoline. These stoves are fairly easy to use and produce a great amount of heat. However, they, like charcoal, produce vast amounts of carbon monoxide. NEVER use a Coleman Fuel stove indoors. It could be a fatal mistake to your entire family.
            Move information can be found at this link.

http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X