Bathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathing

Bathing during power outages, with the lack of fuel for the hot water tank can be a problem. Here is one solution, the snorkel stove. There are also smaller snorkel stoves that use kerosene, diesel and gasoline. And with those, large portable rubbermaid tubs can be used in place of the huge 5' hot tubs.

The Snorkel? and Scuba? Stoves

We invented the Underwater Woodstove

The original Snorkel? Stove was created by Roger Evans while he was a physics student at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks. The concept of wood-fired hot tubbing was so appealing to family and friends that Roger and skiing buddy Blair Howe formed a company to market the stove and wood hot tubs. The concept of the underwater wood stove for hot tubs was so unique that it was awarded a United States Patent, number 4455997, in 1981. The Scuba? Stove was developed later and is a smaller version of the Snorkel? Stove designed for smaller hot tubs.

The basic design and operation of the Snorkel? Stove are very simple. It works just like any other wood stove or fireplace, as shown below. The only real difference is the fact that the burning chamber is submerged.
    1. Above-water air intake
    2. Stove door/air regulator
    3. Underwater firebox
    4. Heat exchange tubes
    5. Mounting brackets
    6. Corrosion-proof powder-coat finish
    7. Cast aluminum door won?t rust or warp
    8. Simple and easy to clean

Snorkel? stoves: 120,000 BTU, standard with 6? and larger diameter tubs

Scuba? stoves: 60,000 BTU,standard with 5? diameter tubs

Take a closer look:

Our underwater woodstove is in complete, direct contact with the water it heats. Only the air intake and chimney are above water. Open the cast aluminum door (7) to load wood. Light the fire and place door as shown (2) for maximum draft. Slide door over air intake (1) as needed to reduce draft. The aluminum firebox (3) heats quickly. Heat exchanger tubes (4) increase the stove?s surface for even faster heating.

How does it work?

Even though our Snorkel? and Scuba? wood stoves are submerged UNDERWATER, water can?t get in. Seams are welded and only the air intake ?snorkel? and smokestack are above the water line. Our stoves operate just like an ordinary wood stove or fireplace. To build a fire: place crumpled paper in the bottom of the stove. Put kindling on top, then add small logs or split pieces of wood. Light the paper and leave the air intake fully open. A good draft will immediately establish itself. Once the fire is going strong, add larger logs and split wood. To control the rate of burn, open or close the air intake by sliding the stove door forward or back. Because the entire stove surface is submerged, heat from the fire transfers to the water immediately. That?s all there is to it!

Why is the stove UNDER WATER?

Our wood stoves sit underwater ? all but the feed inlet and chimney stack. Complete water contact allows immediate, super efficient heat transfer: our tubs heat hours faster than small, external wood-burning heaters that heat slowly and depend upon convection to circulate water through externally-mounted pipes and water jackets that can easily freeze and burst when not in use during cold weather.

What is the difference between the Snorkel? and Scuba? Stoves?

The Scuba? Stove is just a smaller version of the Snorkel? Stove. It is intended for tubs five feet in diameter and less. The design for the two stoves is the same. For more information, see Designing Your Snorkel? Hot Tub.

High-tech construction

We precision-cut marine grade aluminum with plasma cutting machines, then form our stoves using high-tech bending equipment and hand-weld every seam. More importantly, we powder coat each stove because many water supplies contain concentrations of minerals like calcium and magnesium that will corrode even the highest quality metal alloys if they?re not protected. Powder coating protection allows us to back our stoves with a 3-Year Warranty.

Energy Efficient & Cost Efficient

Operating Expenses: $O
    ?Operating cost is where the real money gets spent. With Snorkel?s wood heat and well water, my cost is $0. I didn?t want to spend money heating water.?
    ?Dania Egedi, Corbin KYThe high-efficiency Snorkel? and Scuba? wood-burning stove s-q-u-e-e-z-e maximum heat from firewood: it?s reduced to fine ashes.

Burns Nearly Anything

You can heat your Snorkel? Hot Tub with virtually ANY wood: cut and split firewood, scraps of lumber, fallen branches, cut-up wooden palettes, even coal ? though you must install a grate to burn coal. And wood heat is ECONOMICAL, too!

Ideal for Japanese-style, chemical-free hot tubbing

Because of the fast heat up times and the low cost of the heat, many of our customers adopt the Japanese style of hot tubbing. That is, they change the water frequently and don?t use chemicals. They simply fill the tub with fresh water; heat and enjoy a few times; then empty the tub. Scrub lightly with a dilute bleach solution and refill. True Japanese tradition would include a complete cleansing shower for each bather before entering the tub.

TO SEE PHOTOS GO TO:
    Explore how Snorkel's innovative underwater wood stoves efficiently heat our cedar hot tubs without taking up valuable seating space.

THEY ALSO HAVE A FORUM

I am not affiliated with this company in any way. I am just looking for methods of heating water for bathing purposes.

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.
    ~ Zig Ziglar ~

Re: Bathing

I can't find the citation now but seem to remember reading a historical reference about a military allotment of 20 pounds of hard soap per solider per year somewhere. Dose anyone have any estimates of the amount of hard soap per person that would be needed for a year? The soap in the historical reference would have probably had to be used for washing clothing, tack, general cleaning as well as personal use.
    We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

#1:
      "... I am just looking for methods of heating water for bathing purposes."

Good for looking new methods, but I suspect than in a case of an pandemic, most of the people would not have previously installed such an multi-functional heating source linked to the hot water pipelines.

If some kind of energy would became scarse, them will probably option for the old fashioned way of boiling water in a pot placed on an electricity/gas/oil/or wood stove, than mixed with cold water in a more wide container, staying into only verticaly if needed.
      The Wild West technics ...

#2:
      "... Dose anyone have any estimates of the amount of hard soap per person that would be needed for a year?"

I don't have the estimates (depends of how much money one invest in preppings), but seems reasonable to have almost the min. quantity needed now for desinfection, washing, and manual clothes scrubbing.
      Dose for 1-2 person, maybe min. 1 big washing soap a week (48 a year).

Comment

One bar of soap typically lasts 3 weeks in my house, for daily showering only.

Slightly off topic but before hot water heaters became popular, people used small electric heaters. They were about the size of a hand, were metal and were immersable in water. Drop one in a bucket of water, plug it in and you had hot water in a matter of minutes. There are similar water tank heaters nowdays for horses but are controlled by an internal non-adjustable thermostat.

In a worse case scenario in warm weather, a long garden hose filled with water and positioned on a roof in the sun will work well to supply a quick shower. There are also portable showers for camping.
        The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Some proposals assume there is still water pressure in the pipes. Remember that a small generator may not be able to power a well pump.

If you end up carrying and heating your own water, you may want to have one of these handy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wash tub.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	649236

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Thank you for the information on the soap. Definitely need to stock up there. I have already picked up a few bars of Fels Naptha soap and plan to get a few more for clothes washing and tougher clean ups. No I do not have an interst in the company other than the soap they provide. My family always had a bar of it handy in the laundry room, it takes up a lot less room than boxes of powdered or liquid detergent and one bar lasts a long time.

Many of the old fashion wood burning stoves that were used for cooking and heat had a water reservoir on them with a petcock that provided families with hot water. I have seen old fashion canners that sit on the stove top that have a similar arrangement. Many newer models of woodburning stoves have a flat top that allows for a heavy cast iron kettle filled with water to be placed on top for heating. This helps keep moisture in the air while the stove is in use. It may provide enough hot water for a sponge bath.

60 -70 years ago many people only took one bath a week. In some cases bath water was shared among family members, each taking a turn, hence the saying; "Don't through the baby out with the bathwater!". By the time the youngest got their turn it may have been a little less than clean. It may be a case of thinking ahead and using fuel and heat sources more frugally for as many uses as possible.
            We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

I was an only child so I didn't have to share my bathwater.

Actually, even into the 50's there were families who didn't have water heaters. I can remember taking *sink baths* on a nightly basis; usually with luke-warm water and a chilly bathroom. The soap wouldn't lather and I usually dropped the washcloth on the floor; I hated sink baths with a passion!!!

Rinse-free disposable washcloths are one of my prep items.
              The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Working...
              X