This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prepare Home For Bird Flu Emergency

Thank You Amish Country and Wisdom--I feel very welcome. You all have worked very hard compiling all of this great information.

Comment

Check your preps:

New recall - concern about potential botulism contamination:

Manitowoc, WI August 1, 2007 -- Lakeside Foods voluntarily recalled 14.5 oz French Style Green Beans after learning of a potential problem during routine internal monitoring. No illnesses have been reported and no botulinum toxin has been found in any cans tested to date, however Lakeside continues to test out of an abundance of caution. Lakeside is working closely with the Food & Drug Administration and has identified and corrected the condition that resulted in its decision to voluntarily recall the cans in question. No other Lakeside products are affected by this recall.

Lakeside is asking consumers who have cans of the 14.5 oz French Style Green Beans with the following in the top line of the can code to return them unopened to the place of purchase. EAA5247, EAA5257, EAA5267, EAA5277, EAB5247, EAB5257, ECA5207, ECA5217, ECA5227, ECA5297, ECB5207, ECB5217, ECB5227, and ECB5307.
      The product was distributed in the following 20 states: AL, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, NC, NY, OH, OK, TN, TX, VA, WI, and Canada.
      The product was sold with the following labels: ALBERTSON'S, HAPPY HARVEST, BEST CHOICE, FOOD CLUB, BOGOPA, VALU TIME, HILL COUNTRY FARE, HEB, LAURA LYNN, KROGER, NO NAME, NORTH PRIDE, SHOP N SAVE, SCHNUCKS, SHOPPERS VALUE, CUB FOODS, DIERBERGS, FLAVORITE, IGA, BEST CHOICE, AND THRIFTY MAID.

Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

With all the wonderfully complete Preparedness information i've seen so far the one thing I have not seen mentioned is:
        Air sanitizing i.e.: An air movement system which when equipped with a Hyper-HEPA filter would allow for creating positive pressure air in your home's main living area(s) and/or a negative pressure sickroom, to limit the spread of viruses or airborne bacteria and particulates. These units can readily be constructed at home and the proper system would have simple large particle pre-filters, followed by the Hyper HEPA filter which should go down to .01 mircons in order to be effective. The fan system must be, fairly quiet and able to work Under-load to ensure you will use it and that it will have a long enough life span to last the length of time you may be home bound.
        This is the short version of what it takes to create this system, this is not my original concept but one from another site where this information is available to the general public.

The second item I see lacking is UV lighting . Using UV lighting as a control in an ante-room where you will change clothes after being out or in a sick room where the patient is confined/coughing (as is the norm for TB and for some pneumonia strains), will be of great help in mitigating further spread of the virus through your household.

I realize these are both dependent upon the continual availability of electricity but a couple of respectable PV panels with deep cycle batteries can cover their need.

Comment

Hi, Pearl
          Would you happen to have a link to the construction of the air-movement system you described above? I'd be interested if you could find it.

My current plans are to put a reversible fan in the window of the sickroom with the room air blowing outside..
          The bed should be placed sideways in front of this. The caretaker would only approach the bed from the side opposite the window.

ST

Comment

Working...
          X