X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare Home For Bird Flu Emergency

Prepare Home For Bird Flu Emergency
    by Broderick Perkins

Here's another reason to include emergency preparedness in your lifestyle at home -- the bird flu.

California's Department of Health Services (CDHS) recently released a draft of its bird flu battle plan "Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response Plan" which includes steps households will have to take if a bird flu pandemic ensues.

It also suggest steps households should take now. Those steps are similar to steps necessary to prepare for any disaster -- natural or man made.
    The bird flu making most of the news is designated avian influenza A (H5N1), a deadly version of avian influenza currently affecting domestic and wild birds in Asia, but spreading to other parts of the world. If it comes in contact with human strains of influenza it could mutate into a virus capable of human-to-human transmission and initiate a pandemic.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says since 1997 there have been more than 100 cases of human infection from various avian strains of influenza thought to have been caused by direct contact with infected fowl or contaminated surfaces.

The current H5N1 has caused about a half dozen deaths in China and more than 20 cases in Turkey.

How deadly an avian flu becomes isn't certain, but experts estimate as many as 35 percent of the U.S. population could become ill and there could be as many as 35,000 deaths in California alone.

CDHS says such a pandemic would disrupt all aspects of society and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Frequent, vigorous hand washing, an annual flu vaccine, covering your nose and mouth with coughing and sneezing and avoiding going into the public when you are sick are measures any responsible person should already take to ward off colds and the flu.

However, because the first six to 12 months of a pandemic would render vaccine's unreliable, quarantines and official orders to stay at home could become a reality, even if you aren't infected. That will mean an emergency preparedness cache of supplies will be crucial.

"Social distancing measures such as wearing masks, staying home if sick, and canceling school and public events," could be necessary, says the CDHS report.
    Given the unknown duration of a pandemic, you may need more than the typical three days of food and water and other supplies recommended in a basic emergency preparedness kit, as well as a host of other items.

Read the CDHS's report, keep abreast of the bird flu situation on the CDC website and get your kit together now for a pandemic or any other emergency that could cut you off from essential goods and services.

The American Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency offers the basics.

The Red Cross offers ready-to-go kits and emergency kit checklist to help you build your own.

The kit should be in an easy-to-carry container from a camping backpack or duffel bag to a large covered trash container with wheels and placed in an easily accessible location based.

What should you pack inside? Here are the basics.
    • One gallon of water per person per day.
    • A three-day supply of nonperishable, compact, lightweight foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and little or no water. Pack a can of sterno for foods you must heat. Pack high energy foods, vitamins, food for infants and some comfort and stress foods.
    • A first aid kit for your home and one for each car. The kit should at least include: sterile dressing, gauze, germicidal hand wipes or waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer, medical grade non-latex gloves, adhesive tape, 2" width, anti-bacterial ointment, cold pack, scissors, tweezers, CPR breathing barrier, such as a face shield, non-prescription pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, Syrup of Ipecac, a laxative, activated charcoal.
    • Mess kits, or paper cups, plates, and plastic utensils, an emergency preparedness manual, extra batteries for battery-operated devices including a radio, flashlight and other items, cash, travelers checks, change, utility knife with can opener, fire extinguisher, tube tent, hardware tools, water proofed matches, area map, signal flare, paper, pencils, whistle, and other items recommended by FEMA and the Red Cross.
    • For sanitation you'll also need toilet paper, towelettes, Soap, liquid detergent, feminine supplies, plastic garbage bags and ties, a plastic bucket with tight lid, disinfectant, household bleach.
    • Don't forget special items. A change of clothes, sturdy shoes or work boots, rain gear, sleeping gear, hats, gloves, etc.
    • Personal items include baby items, prescription drugs, contact lenses or extra eye glasses, as well as games, books, small portable electronics, important family documents, records, numbers and identification, a household inventory and other items.
    Change your stored water and food supply every six months. Examine your kit and family needs once a year to replace batteries, update clothes, etc.
    Published: January 30, 2006

http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20060130_birdflu.htm
    Last edited by ukcz; February 10, 2006, 03:58 PM.

Tips From Sarajevo: 100 Items to Disappear First

Tips From Sarajevo: 100 Items to Disappear First

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy…target of thieves, invites marauders; maintenance etc.)
    2. Water Filters/Purifiers
    3. Portable Toilets
    4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
    5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
    6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
    7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
    8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
    9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
    10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
    11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.)
    12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
    13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
    14. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
    15. Survival Guide Book.
    16. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, ect. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
    17. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
    18. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
    19. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
    20. Vitamins
    21. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
    22. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
    23. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
    24. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
    25. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
    26. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
    27. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many)
    28. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
    29. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
    30. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
    31. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
    32. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
    33. Tuna Fish (in oil)
    34. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
    35. First aid kits
    36. Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
    37. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
    38. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
    39. Flour, yeast & salt
    40. Matches. (“Strike Anywhere” preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
    41. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
    42. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
    43. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
    44. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, “No. 76 Dietz” Lanterns
    45. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
    46. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
    47. Men’s Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
    48. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
    49. Fishing supplies/tools
    50. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
    51. Duct Tape
    52. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
    53. Candles
    54. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
    55. Backpacks, Duffle Bags
    56. Garden tools & supplies
    57. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
    58. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
    59. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
    60. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
    61. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
    62. Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
    63. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
    64. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
    65. Board Games, Cards, Dice
    66. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
    67. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
    68. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
    69. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
    70. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc
    71. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
    72. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
    73. Soysauce, vinegar, boullions/gravy/soupbase
    74. Reading glasses
    75. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
    76. “Survival-in-a-Can”
    77. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
    78. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
    79. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
    80. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
    81. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
    82. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
    83. Lumber (all types)
    84. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
    85. Cots & Inflatable mattresses
    86. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
    87. Lantern Hangers
    88. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
    89. Teas
    90. Coffee
    91. Cigarettes
    92. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal etc)
    93. Paraffin wax
    94. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
    95. Chewing gum/candies
    96. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
    97. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
    98. Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:
    1. Stockpiling helps, but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate near renewable food sources.
    2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
    3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold’s.
    4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it’s the easiest to do without (unless you’re in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)
    5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to “warm”, not to cook. It’s cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.
    6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it’s great to have a lot of survival guides, but you’ll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you’ll have a lot of time on your hands.
    7. The feeling that you’re human can fade pretty fast. I can’t tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
    8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches.
    9. More matches
    http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=...rednessGuide#f
    Last edited by Sally Furniss; April 12, 2007, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Re: Prepare Home For Bird Flu Emergency

i have been slowly converting my flashlights. i'm switching from filament bulbs to l.e.d. flashlights. the led bulbs will last several years. they have very little heat, so the battries will last much longer. i had one that i used for a year with the same batteries in it. this might be helpful. if you need very bright light, you might want to keep the regular kind around.

Comment

if it is the right time of the year, i can tell you a trick to seasoning firwood.
        cut the tree down in june or july. by october or sonner it will be seasoned.the warmer the climate the faster this happens. the tree is trying to live. it pulls all the sap to the leaves. the wood is seasoned faster this way. does not work well when its cold.

Comment

bumpity bump
          "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by rjprrt
            if it is the right time of the year, i can tell you a trick to seasoning firwood.
            cut the tree down in june or july. by october or sonner it will be seasoned.the warmer the climate the faster this happens. the tree is trying to live. it pulls all the sap to the leaves. the wood is seasoned faster this way. does not work well when its cold.
            So the idea is to cut down the tree in summer and do not cut off the branches, but let the leaves stay attached until they get limp and drain the tree? Cut off the branches when the leaves get dry and crisp - at end of summer maybe?

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome Jane.

Comment

welcome Jane glad to have you here
                Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                To weave it into fabric..
                Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

I just found 3 items that might be useful during a pandemic ... when the electricity fails:

WALMART SOLAR FLOODLIGHT $25
                  Features & Specifications

Save energy and money with the Malibu solar outdoor flood light. The sun charges the batteries by day, and the light lasts all night ? up to 15 hours. Use it to beautify landscape lighting, provide added security to your home or mark hazards.

Malibu Solar Intermatic Flood Light:
                  Sun charges fixture batteries by day
                  No wiring required
                  Costs nothing to operate
                  Stays on up to 15 hours
                  Patented light-sensing technology
                  Includes three white LEDs
                  Includes one mAh rechargeable battery
                  Model# LZ415
                  Easy to install
                  Available online only

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5685182
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------

COSTCO FLOODLIGHTS:
                  Cast Aluminum Hammered Copper Finish Spotlight Kit
                  Includes: 2 Spotlights, 2 Ground Stakes and 32' of Cable From Each Spotlight

$89.99
                  Shipping & Handling included

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=3&pos=4&No=3&
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLAR GREENHOUSE LIGHT:
                  Universal Solar Shed/Greenhouse Light
                  Includes Two Common 8 W Long Life Fluorescent Tubes And Adjustable Solar Monocrystal 3 W Panel

$79.99
                  Shipping & Handling included

I don't have any interest in these companies, I'm just wondering if anyone has purchased these items and if they work properly.

?Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative.
                  The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable;
                  the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it.?

-Stephen Leacock (Canadian humorist, 1869-1944)-

Comment

Hello all--this is my first time to post on this forum. Glad to be here.
                    My concern is that it seems inevitable that an emergency of this potential magnitude would mean that a family should set aside a good deal more supplies--and yet on many of the general media sites out on the web "officials" imply that 10 days or a couple of weeks should be enough. This seems somewhat ridiculous to me given the lenghth of time involved concerning this virus and could put many people at great risk, making things worse in terms of exposure and collateral damage. What is the recommended time that you all feel is neccessary for just basic survival needs. Do you feel that this simply another attempt at keeping the public from panicking by understating a very serious situation? Not that I wish to see intrigue in everything but could it be that there is already an "acceptable loss" factor figured into the scenario? Thanks

Comment

Welcome to FluTrackers, littleraven.

Members of FluTrackers will tell you that the longer you can prepare for the better off you will be. FluTrackers has a link in the upper left hand corner of the main page for the Basic 30 day Prep List.

For a more extended discussion about the length time to prep for, see this thread: Preps: Two Weeks vs Three Months.
                      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank You Laidback Al,
                        I will try to find my way around better next time--Great information here.

Comment

Originally posted by littleraven View Post
                          Thank You Laidback Al,
                          I will try to find my way around better next time--Great information here.
                          Not a problem. I have been here almost since the beginning and I still have to use the search engine to navigate all the threads.
                          </IMG></IMG>
                          http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome to Flutrackers Littleraven.
                            We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Welcome aboard Littleraven!
                              I would say stock up the best you can for as long as you can. Money and space is usually an issue so just do the best you can but start now. I'm always using my items so nothing ever goes to waste. The power went out in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago due to a tree that fell. It was several hours before the power was turned back on and it made me realize that I need more items for lighting our house. The candles that I had just weren't enough. I will continue to look for some bargains and add to my supply closet. Some of the items that are always being used and I just can't seem to keep stocked up for long is Toilepaper, laundry soap, coffee etc...
                              Have fun shopping!

Comment

Working...
                              X