X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preparing and reluctant family members

@ crayonfish
    Non-zero impact probability

The near-Earth asteroid 2011 AG5 currently has an impact probability of 1 in 625 for Feb. 5, 2040, said Donald Yeomans, head of the Near-Earth Object Observations Program at NASA?s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

This impact probability isn't set in stone, however. So far, researchers have been able to watch the asteroid for just a short time ? the first nine months of 2011 ? and the numbers may change after further observation, Yeomans told SPACE.com.
    Meta Description: Researchers are keeping a close eye on the asteroid 2011 AG5, which has a small chance of hitting Earth in 2040. Like the asteroid Apophis, 2011 AG5 may have its orbit changed by zipping through a "keyhole" near our planet.

During the early days of pandemic 2009, my wife and I stocked up enough food for about 2-3 months. We kept the kids out of school for a couple of weeks also.

I don't think I'm obsessive about these things - I'm well informed and able to make rational decisions based on facts and probabilities. As soon as the vaccine was available we all got it - along with several hundred other people who queued up for hours in the cold - see http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=131921

Be informed, be prepared - then no need to worry.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Crayonfish don't get discouraged. My husband came around after he has saw and experienced the advantages of being prepared. One advantage we have found prepping for pandemic flu is the overlap in prepping for other emergencies. Hurricanes, snowstorms, ice storms, tornados, earthquakes and floods happen. It can be very rewarding knowing events that would have been emergencies are now minor inconveniences. I don't know how to express the peace of mind that comes from being prepared to nonpreppers. While others are stressing out or braving snow or ice covered roads for whatever is left at the grocery store, we can flip a switch on a generator, pick and choose from the pantry, cook on a nonelectric gas range and heat with a fireplace. Family members think I'm nuts too but they don't see me at the minimart during a snowstorm hoping there is a container of milk or eggs left on the shelves.
      We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

A while back I put together one of those Rubber Maid like bins with food for about a month for one individual. This was presented to one of the older members of my family. This person lives alone on a fixed income and has enough to get by but not a lot for "extras" if you know what I mean? I love this person dearly but they did not want to hear about any potential emergencies that might happen or take any action to prepare for them. Pride was involved and feelings could have easily been hurt. So I broached this in the light of that it would really ease my mind if they would please do me the favor of just keeping this for me just in case it would be needed for me or my family sometime in the future should something unforeseeable happen. Would they please keep it for our children just in case? I have decades of Catholic guilt training from experts and I laid it on thick while trying to look as inocent as a 6 year old making an argument for an ice cream cone!

Last week we stopped in for a visit and I peaked in the bin. All the canned meats, nut spreads, canned fruit and jars of home made jam were gone. The bin food had been used to "extend" the pantry when there was more month than there was money to cover expenses. Next visit will be an opportunity to restock.

Emergencies come in all shapes and sizes.
        We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
        X