Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. OZ TV show promotes basic prepping (for bioterrorism)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. OZ TV show promotes basic prepping (for bioterrorism)

While the subject was possible terrorism, his recommendation was basic minimal (3 day) prepping - good advice everyone should heed. Hopefully this advice reached people who may not have previously considered keeping an extra stock of basic necessities.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    excerpt:

Bioterrorism Preparedness

Federal, state, and local authorities are charged with monitoring bioterrorism threats and notifying the public once an attack has been established. If all the systems are working properly, authorities will notify the medical community, and make a public statement to let you know if your geographic area is in danger and where you should go to if you should become sick.

Here are some proactive steps you can take.

Stay connected to your state's department of health to follow disease trends occurring in your community

Follow disaster preparedness advice from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Homeland Security

Sign up for e-mail, Twitter or Facebook alerts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Register for Reverse 911? a telephonic community notification system (if available) through your local community or county

Tune in to local TV and radio programming for health officials' announcements and heed to warnings

Learn how to recognize and handle a suspicious package

Create a family disaster plan and prepare an emergency disaster supplies kit for your entire family that includes a 3-day supply of water (1 gallon of water per day per person), nonperishable foods and medicines

Practice good hygiene to avoid spreading germs and cover your mouth and noses with fabric if exposed

To see if your jurisdiction is prepared for a bioterrorism attack check the American College Of Emergency Physician's The National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine.

For more tips on emergency preparedness by Dr. Leigh Vinocur, click here.
    "The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Re: Dr. OZ TV show promotes basic prepping (for bioterrorism)

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
    While the subject was possible terrorism, his recommendation was basic minimal (3 day) prepping - good advice everyone should heed. Hopefully this advice reached people who may not have previously considered keeping an extra stock of basic necessities.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/are-y...ck?page=2#copy
    Agreed very good advice. However, my personal opinion is that I'd want to know that my family was prepared for more than just a "minimal (3 day) prepping". 3 days in some instances and hazards may not be anywhere near enough. Remembering Katrina: having an appropriate emergency plan, adequate supplies and preparation maybe the difference between a minor inconvenience and death. With the snow we are currently getting, for me it provides peace of mind. That is one thing that many miss, the relief of stress and anxiety that comes with being prepared. Also the type of preparation and considerations needed to address Bioterrorism Preparedness are probably somewhat different from dealing with a snow storm or a hurricane. MHO with emergency preparedness one size does not fit all. MHO is to prep appropriately for those hazards most likely to affect my family and area.
    We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

I totally agree 3 days is not nearly enough.

Some of those poor people out east who were finally able to drive to the store, likely found empty shelves.

I keep at least a 2 week supply of pet food in the winter; a hungry cat's whinning can make a person crazy.
      The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

FT readers may know that 3 days isn't enough, but the problem is how do you get people who normally do NO prepping to at least do something. I liked his general advice: don't let critical supplies (medications, diapers, etc.) completely run out - that is good all-hazards planning. Some people who refuse to do extensive prepping may be willing to do a 3 day prep when popular personalities promote it.

With a snow emergency you had advance warning. Things like earthquakes and bioterrorism don't give people time to stock up. Not letting critical supplies get down to zero is good advice.

The other thing that made the bioterrorism threat real was the stature of his guests - ER docs, homeland security docs, etc. They drove home the message of how easily various bioterrorism methods can be employed and made clear that US agencies expect that someday there WILL be a bioterrorism attack.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Working...
        X