Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

Originally posted by Snowy Owl View Post
    Thank you Sunshine 123

I think we have indeed to take care of our reserves so that we will not been stress by this there are and will plenty of stress, that makes one less.

We must make some change about medicnal preps to be more attuned with swine flu virus.

Snowy
    Thank you Snowy. Now it is 4 years later and the times have changed. I wanted the list to be easy. Now it is long. I no longer believe that the flu is our impending doom. I do fear an EMP. followed by a nuclear winter. Oddly enough these posts hold up well for that doom scenario.

God Bless as Red Skelton use to say.

Comment

Re: Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

"During the plague in the early 1900's, both sets of my parents lived in North Dakota several miles apart...didn't know each other...

My mom's dad was the 'county' DR. He got a feather and carefully coated each of his family members back of the throat w/Kerosene...very lightly...every day...NO ONE DIED!

My dad's family did nothing...they lost 3 children in 1 week...

I don't know why it worked...

I'm just saying'"

Posted to another big forum with a lesser reputation by Smiling Grandma on May 9, 2013.
      Last edited by Sunshine123; August 7, 2014, 11:09 PM. Reason: add quote marks

Comment

Benzene fumes are highly toxic and may cause chocking, especially in children or people with respiratory problems like asthma.

Further, benzene is highly suspected to cause several kind of cancer, from blood to skin.

Comment

I found the story from the Alaskan Trapper fascinating. What a story of survival.

There is a story on youtube about a woman named Agrafia. She has survived alone in Siberia for 25 years. She is 70 and still living a subsistence lifestyle there.

We try to grow a lot of our own food, and I find I hardly have time (and energy) to cook it with all the effort it takes to grow it. :/

Comment

I see you switched from coffee to tea. LOL I love your list. The only thing I would have to change is adding lemon powder and dried zest. Plus I would add dried buttermilk to the stores and maybe real garlic, dried mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes. Okay not too many additions but then I like to cook.

I looked at your list again. You are short two things I believe. You have no yellow vegetables that I can see other than corn meal and that doesn't count. lol Also your vitamin D is too low. Drying or making squash leather out of hubbard or butternut squash would be one good addition. Dried carrot is another vegetable that would fill the yellow veggie bill.
            Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
            Thank you,
            Shannon Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
              I see you switched from coffee to tea. LOL I love your list. The only thing I would have to change is adding lemon powder and dried zest. Plus I would add dried buttermilk to the stores and maybe real garlic, dried mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes. Okay not too many additions but then I like to cook.

I looked at your list again. You are short two things I believe. You have no yellow vegetables that I can see other than corn meal and that doesn't count. lol Also your vitamin D is too low. Drying or making squash leather out of hubbard or butternut squash would be one good addition. Dried carrot is another vegetable that would fill the yellow veggie bill.
              Thank you Shannon for your well versed wisdom. Veggies are the key to life.

Added on October 22, 2013 in light of the govt shutdown and food stamp cut backs. Here are some newer things I have been impressed to add to preps.

Super Glue and you can't have too much. The stuff has a short life once open so the little containers are better. Good for wounds, fix-it etc. dollar store

Serious Cash

Security barriers; door club, window dowels, trimmed hedges

Community and neighborhood watch system

Walkie talkies, Nicotine gum and caffeine for neighborhood watch system

I am not a gun enthusiast so I don't know how well leather wear will act to deter bullets? Leather outerwear &/or bullet proof vests

Plants in containers

Heat packs ready to go. Some use rice in a sock and microwave, I like the hotties or thermacare

Fish antibiotics/ebay

Prepare for the zombies/sheep to be withdrawing from serious addictions, monster drinks caffeine, alcohol, they will look normal

Just thought I would share.

Comment

Early this summer I thought that is year might happen to be a bad one for flu - not pandemic bad but more cases than average and decided that if I did need or want to shelter in place I should get a few more supplies in to my stock.

Two items that I don't often see mentioned came to mind since they were always part of my back packing stock - hard salami and summer sausage. they made a good, easy snack during a short break. Both have pretty good shelf life without refrigeration. The summer sausage should be consumed with a few days after opening but the ones I just bought have a date of Aug 29, 2015.

Comment

Good point. I keep packets of pepperoni in our food stash. Everyone likes pepperoni, and it keeps well even after opening. And it's very easily available in any supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollydog View Post
                    Early this summer I thought that is year might happen to be a bad one for flu - not pandemic bad but more cases than average and decided that if I did need or want to shelter in place I should get a few more supplies in to my stock.

Two items that I don't often see mentioned came to mind since they were always part of my back packing stock - hard salami and summer sausage. they made a good, easy snack during a short break. Both have pretty good shelf life without refrigeration. The summer sausage should be consumed with a few days after opening but the ones I just bought have a date of Aug 29, 2015.
                    Funny you should mention summer sausage!
                    I'm eating my favorite home alone dinner of rye crackers, summer sausage, cheddar cheese, with a side of homemade pickles and a glass of wine.

If you're into cooking and canning, having a pantry full of homemade soup is wonderful. They are fully cooked, so even if you can't heat them they will be edible. We have frequent extended power outages in my area, usually in winter when we have the woodstove going. We can just dump a couple of jars in a pan and let it warm on the stove while we deal with other outage logistics.

Homemade broth is also good to have when you're sick.

Comment

Originally posted by BestlaStormcrow View Post
                      If you're into cooking and canning, having a pantry full of homemade soup is wonderful. They are fully cooked, so even if you can't heat them they will be edible. We have frequent extended power outages in my area, usually in winter when we have the woodstove going. We can just dump a couple of jars in a pan and let it warm on the stove while we deal with other outage logistics.

Homemade broth is also good to have when you're sick.
                      IMHO all home canned low acid foods such as unpickled vegetables, meat, soups and broth should be heated to a boil prior to eating. I would simmer at a low boil for at least 20 minutes before eating. IMHO Botulism is too big a danger to take a chance on. Home canned foods can look fine, smell fine, feel fine, taste good and still be infected with botulism. It can happen to experienced canners who do everything by the book. Recently I bought a brand new box of canning jars with rings and lids. The seals on the lids were bad even though they had never been used.

University of Florida IFAS Extention
                      EDIS
                      Preventing Foodborne Illness: Clostridium botulinum
                      Link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs104
                      "If consuming home canned foods, heat low acid foods to at least 80?C (176?F) for 10 minutes and corn, spinach, and meats for 20 minutes."
                      We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
                      X