Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibilities
    replied
    Re: Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

I have been very busy over the last few months. I now feel prepared for an extended water and food shortage, have printed out medical articles and tips should anything happen to me, prepared for a home defense, have a reasonably well stocked medical kit, but I know that there are holes in my strategy.

Much of information is on my hard drive of my laptop. I feel certain that we'll experience some power outages, and I am in the process of hooking up a solar generator.

My main concern is the pdfs which detail my home schooling for my children. I realized today just how many pages and pages it would take to print them out. I've thought about purchasing a direct portable solar charger to my laptop, but I think I should prepare for the possibility that I may have multiple sunless days, and will need to charge up a deep cycle battery and use an invertor.

Really if your think about it, you only need a small way to generate power. Cell phones will be nice initially when others don't have power, but if things really hit the fan, then the cell phones won't transmit anyway. The same is also true of radios, though it would be nice to have a shortwave receiver in case someone is able to transmit. I think I'll only need a solar generator in order to use my laptop as a library and to recharge my batteries for my flashlights.

I have been thinking about extending my foord supply. I have thought of three ways to do this. First we don't need as many calories as well typically eat. Unless we're really working hard, we can manage on a reduced caloric intake. I knew some Sudanese Dinka men who grew up in the refugee camps. They lived on one meal per day of water, beans, oil, and a little corn meal. They did this for many many years, though it probably made them in a weakened immune state. I've thought of extending my food supply by introducing a little vegetable oil into my meals just to keep the calories high.

That said, when my son was hikling the Appalacian Trail he needed lots of fat in order to get the amount of calories need for rigorous work. If you're working strenuously during the pandemic, think of also of supplementing with high fat through the addition of oil.

The second way I am extending my supply is through protein addition from protein powder. I have some that is still unexpired which I was using for smoothies. I plan on introducing this into canned fruit in case I can't get my children to eat beans.

The third and really horrible way to extend the food supply is with unmentionables. When I attended a wilderness survival camp, the teacher discussed using sweetbreads (i.e organ meat) as one way. Certainly another way it to use things like insects. Shudder...

Leave a comment:

• Sunshine123
    replied
    Re: Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

I would like to add to the list the idea of isolating a family member. The person may have the disease already or had to break quarantine and be brought back into the household. This can be done by taking a room in the house that has outside access and running water ie. master bedroom w/ bath and outside door. Use this room as a barrier for keeping the individual separate from the rest of the household until the incubation period has passed. The bedroom door then can be sealed w/ plastic. To transfer items through plastic tape item to plastic then seal with another piece of plastic. The person on the receiving side can cut their side of the plastic and remove item. Seal remains intact.

Hope this helps. If a person has to go back and forth for a sick patient then I advise gown mask and gloves.

Leave a comment:

• sharon sanders
    replied

Thanks Possibilites.

Cross posting is fine. We encourage it.

Leave a comment:

• Possibilities
    replied

First I apologize for cross posting.

Here is some information I posted on one of the other sub-forums for health care professionals.

I have not posted in a long long time.

Now that swine flu is apparently a pandemic, I will share a link that I have discovered. In my last posting two years ago, I detailed a possible cheap and effective treatment which was used using the osteopathic manipulative treatment called the lymphatic pump. Here is a link to video which demonstrates how to do this.

I pray that none of us need to attempt this.

Since we know that Tamiflu has not been effective in many of the H5N1 cases, and that the swine flu (which is related to H1N1 virus albeit mutated) is being treated with Tamiflu, there is a high likelihood that Tamiflu will not be effective. You might try getting olive leaf extract and or grapefruit seed extract to combat the illness. You should be able to get either at a herbal store or some pharmacies that deal in herbals.

May God have mercy on us all.

Leave a comment:

• JJackson
    replied

Originally posted by harpoon View Post
    so what, you should spend a year of time locked up at home? sounds unfeasible....

and isn't everyone exposed eventually?
    Harpoon welcome.

Yes you are quite correct your options are get exposed in which case you may be naturally immune or you get ill (typical about 30%). If you get ill and recover then you should be immune from the same strain (at least for a while unless it mutates too much). You will not be protected from other strains although this is not a binary distinction there are intermediate levels of protection i.e. you get ill but not as badly as you might have. Vaccines (if and when they become available) aim to give you the same protection as you would get from a prior infection but are again strain specific. As this is a new strain there is no matched vaccine and wont be for several months.

While the H1N1(2009) 'swine flu' seems to be more virulent than seasonal flu - at least in the Mexican reports - it is nothing compared to HP AI H5N1 and most of the posts on this site written before last week will have been written with this strain in mind. As it has killed more than half of those who caught it the decision to risk exposure are quite different. It is in this light that many discussions centered on minimising exposure until a vaccine was available.

You might find some of the posts in this thread of interest as it address the logic of preping. Preps: Two Weeks vs Three Months

Leave a comment:

• harpoon
    replied

Originally posted by Sunshine123 View Post
    -Flu spreads in waves of 3-5 months w/ 3 months in between
    -Self-quarantine for 90-120 days / wave
    so what, you should spend a year of time locked up at home? sounds unfeasible....

and isn't everyone exposed eventually?

Leave a comment:

• Sunshine123
    replied
    Re: THINGS TO DO AND CONSIDER PREPARING FOR FLU PANDEMIC WITH SELF-QUARANTINE IN MIND

Originally posted by RICHARD-FL View Post
    "-Ice 40 feet for 50-ton truck to drive on"

Ice needs to be 40 INCHES for a 50 ton truck to drive on.

See Ice road truckers Discovery Channel. RICHARD-FL
    Thank you Richard for your correction. I drew this list up quickly for my kid sister and was rough on some of the details and decided to share it some time back. I could clean it up further but the basics are still good.

Leave a comment:

• Amish Country
    replied

Basic home maintenance:
    Are smoke alarms working?
    Is at least one smoke alarm run on batteries?
    Replace batteries in smoke alarm every 6 months or as suggested by manufacturer and local fire law enforcement.
    Are working fire extinguishers in date?
    Extra batteries available for smoke alarms, flashlights etc.
    Are screens and windows intact and weather tight?
    Roof water tight and in good repair?
    Has the foundation been checked for cracks or gaps that may let in vermin and repaired if needed?
    Have pipes going in and out of the home been checked to see if vermin can get in around them?
    Are locks on doors and windows working and in good repair?
    Have all major systems, plumbing, heat, cooling been properly maintained?
    Is there a safe alternative heating and cooking method?

Date check
    Are all shelf stable foods in date?
    Are all prescriptions and over the counter medicines in date?

Basic hygiene supply check
    Cleaning supplies for home and personal use
    Extra toothpaste, toothbrushes and other dental care supplies
    Alternative potty for sick room or if waste disposal system fails
    Potable water source
    Working portable water filter/puifier with extra filters?
    Soap/Detergent for clothing and dishes
    Has the first aid kit been checked and replenished as supplies have been used?

Leave a comment:

• RICHARD-FL
    replied
    Re: THINGS TO DO AND CONSIDER PREPARING FOR FLU PANDEMIC WITH SELF-QUARANTINE IN MIND

"-Ice 40 feet for 50-ton truck to drive on"

Ice needs to be 40 INCHES for a 50 ton truck to drive on.

See Ice road truckers Discovery Channel. RICHARD-FL

Leave a comment:

• Things to do and consider preparing for flu pandemic with self quarantine in mind

-Flu spreads in waves of 3-5 months w/ 3 months in between
    -Self-quarantine for 90-120 days / wave
    -Govt effort to supply food and water at 10% at best
    -Outside dirty, inside clean; Boy in the Bubble concept
    -Shelter w/ good seal
    -Clear brush and undergrowth 100 feet parameter around the house
    -Heat pump forced air cooling/heat to filter out virus/microbes
    -Water reservoir covered, pool, tubs and barrels, then disinfected
    -Any source of standing water or body of water is a contaminate. Remove birdbaths, old tires and/or fill puddles. Virus lives in water for days, influenza lives on hands 5 min.
    -Neither bird feeders nor outside chickens
    -Food supply, 1year/person
    -Vacuum w/ bags that filter for allergens
    -No eating from outside gardens, only preserved food
    -Indoor sprouts, fluorescent lights for indoor growing plants vegetables
    -Bleach for water disinfectant (10 drops/gallon) and medicinal wound care (½ sterile water ½ bleach)
    -Hand cleaners soap and alcohol based
    -Running water for washing hands, not standing water
    -Face masks N-95 and goggles for outside (p-100 is better for wet particles)
    -No individual contact less than 8 feet (NO hand shakes etc) social distancing
    -Animals inside space and same consideration
    -Dogs and cats immunizations kept up (any stray dog will be shot)
    -Water repellent clothing w/ hood when outside (large garbage bags)
    -Toilet bowl cleaner tablets for inside standing water (tidy-bowl etc)
    -No contact w/ people within 8 feet, viruses jumps 5+ ft
    -If an exchange is required drop item in spot i.e. porch and leave then the receiver can pick up the item i.e. soup, firewood etc. (This was the practice during the 1918 influenza)
    -Keep dust to minimum, dusters, wet wipes. Sneeze into elbow
    -Keep surfaces clean w/ disinfectant
    -Bake items coming into house for 20 min at 325+ degrees (Microwave is best)
    -Good hygiene; Wash hands thoroughly and frequently after contact from outside world
    -Once one individual leaves and breaks quarantine, cannot return to re-infect rest of
    Household. No group meetings parties’ weddings funerals church etc
    -Only burn wood that is stored under protective covering and dry, if wet -> contaminated
    -Wallpaper ceiling, walls and windows w/ foil in one safe room to insulate and retain heat
    -UV lighting on surfaces (can cause skin cancer)
    -No washing cars by hand
    -Flies and mosquitoes out, don’t leave windows, doors open, screens are not an option
    -Bug Zappers are either a really good idea because they kill bugs or a real bad idea because they attract bugs
    -Handling mail, wear gloves and bake mail before opening it (e-mail best)
    -Analogue phone for when power goes out
    -supply for diarrhea and/or cold remedies

-Homemade Gatorade
    1 tsp Lite Salt (source of potassium)
    1/3 tsp Baking Soda
    10 tsp sugar in 1 qt water
    OR
    1 tsp salt
    3 tsp sugar
    1 qt water

-Turnips, clover and potatoes good crops for cold weather
    -0.4 rads / min acceptable after nuclear fall out
    -Ice 40 feet for 50-ton truck to drive on
    -Mice copper wool to keep out
    -Garbage bags to wear punch holes in sides and put arm through, good for warmth and as a disposable barrier from the outdoors
    -Vitamins
    -Wash down entryways w/ bleach or cleaner
    -Keep shoes outside
    -Pressure cooker and microwave to disinfect food
    -Grow inside food is best, outside root veggies only (nuke and wash)
    -Cage animal, not range free (rabbits)
    -Dishwasher sterilizes (alligator shoes in dishwasher great disinfectant)
    -Dishcloth dirtiest item in household
    -Shopping cart handles dirtiest item in public
    -Magazines dirtiest item in doctor’s office
    -Purse is exposed to everything, along with the morning coffee mug that follows you around at work
    -Do not share pens, combs etc.
    -Tarp and duct tape corpses, bury deep at home if possible
    -Remove moss from roof, harbors bacteria and virus (mushroom too)
    -Streams, lakes, ponds, marshes, rivers source of contamination
    -Keep outside dry, no watering lawn
    -Rain, Snow, Mist, and fog are also carriers for the virus…
    -The Plague never returned to London after London’s Great Fire
    Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
    Last edited by Sunshine123; May 9, 2013, 10:09 AM. Reason: new better masks on the market
Working...
X