T-shirt mask could help in flu pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-shirt mask could help in flu pandemic

And since it is worthless junk, I felt it should be brought up and addressed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060615/...BHNlYwN5bmNhdA-

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent 1 hour, 34 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The world may be unprepared for a bird flu pandemic, but U.S. researchers said on Wednesday they had come up with one low-tech answer to widespread shortages of medical equipment -- a mask made out of a T-shirt.

Their mask fit comfortably over the face and appeared to filter out potentially infectious particles, the team at the University of Pittsburgh said.

"A simple, locally made, washable mask may be a solution if commercial masks are not available," Virginia Dato, David Hostler and Michael Hahn wrote in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.

Experts say a pandemic of some kind of influenza is inevitable and that the H5N1 avian flu virus looks closer than any other virus to causing such a global wave of disease.

The H5N1 virus almost exclusively infects birds but it has killed 128 people and has infected at least 225.

The World Health Organisation says there is a global shortage of medical equipment such as masks, gloves and gowns as well as of antiviral drugs and other supplies, especially in poor countries.

One key piece of protection is an N95 respirator -- a fitted, woven cone of paper that can be pressed tightly over the nose and mouth to filter out fine particles that can carry germs or toxins.

Dato's team tried to replicate these factors.

A cotton T-shirt "was boiled for 10 minutes and air-dried to maximise shrinkage and sterilise the material in a manner available in developing countries," they wrote.

They cut it into nine pieces and fashioned a mask that had several layers of cotton over the nose and mouth and tied behind the head.

Such a mask is a poor defence against influenza, except perhaps when used by trained health care workers, Dato said in a telephone interview.

"If it's really needed, you actually have the mask on and you are next to somebody who has influenza, then that mask is catching influenza droplets. So then when you are done with it, it is really contaminated," she said.

"It has to be appropriately washed, cleaned maybe with some bleach. It is somewhat like a dirty diaper (but) at least a dirty diaper that has poop in it, you can see that it is contaminated and you don't put it in your pocketbook."

It would be dangerous to put such a mask on a person sick with influenza, because they are already struggling to breathe and the mask could make it worse.

Another danger is "being overconfident -- putting on a mask and thinking you are invincible," added Dato.
    Last edited by Mellie; June 14, 2006, 08:51 PM. Reason: formatting only
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Report on low-tech face mask from boiled T-shirt.........

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The world may be unprepared for a bird flu pandemic, but U.S. researchers said on Wednesday they had come up with one low-tech answer to widespread shortages of medical equipment -- a mask made out of a T-shirt.
    Their mask fit comfortably over the face and appeared to filter out potentially infectious particles, the team at the University of Pittsburgh said.
    "A simple, locally made, washable mask may be a solution if commercial masks are not available," Virginia Dato, David Hostler and Michael Hahn wrote in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.

Experts say a pandemic of some kind of influenza is inevitable and that the H5N1 avian flu virus looks closer than any other virus to causing such a global wave of disease.
    The H5N1 virus almost exclusively infects birds but it has killed 128 people and has infected at least 225.
    The World Health Organization says there is a global shortage of medical equipment such as masks, gloves and gowns as well as of antiviral drugs and other supplies, especially in poor countries.
    One key piece of protection is an N95 respirator -- a fitted, woven cone of paper that can be pressed tightly over the nose and mouth to filter out fine particles that can carry germs or toxins.
    Dato's team tried to replicate these factors.
    A cotton T-shirt "was boiled for 10 minutes and air-dried to maximize shrinkage and sterilize the material in a manner available in developing countries," they wrote.
    They cut it into nine pieces and fashioned a mask that had several layers of cotton over the nose and mouth and tied behind the head.
    Such a mask is a poor defense against influenza, except perhaps when used by trained health care workers, Dato said in a telephone interview.
    "If it's really needed, you actually have the mask on and you are next to somebody who has influenza, then that mask is catching influenza droplets. So then when you are done with it, it is really contaminated," she said.

"It has to be appropriately washed, cleaned maybe with some bleach. It is somewhat like a dirty diaper (but) at least a dirty diaper that has poop in it, you can see that it is contaminated and you don't put it in your pocketbook."
    It would be dangerous to put such a mask on a person sick with influenza, because they are already struggling to breathe and the mask could make it worse.
    Another danger is "being overconfident -- putting on a mask and thinking you are invincible," added Dato.

Comment

Re: This is popping up all over the internet

Diapers might work better, and the come in sizes infant to infinity, breathable, moisturizing and comfortable.

Comment

Shannon,

Thanks for bringing this up. When I first read it in the news, my thought was what a piece of nonsense. Most of my family won't believe me about an upcoming pandemic.

In an effort to sleep better, I sent masks to my sisters and their families. Not hard to do since I purchased a couple of cases. (Not willing to trust my chronically out-of-supplies clinic will have them for us to use.)

Honestly never considered the other point of view (too poor to purchase a mask.) You are probably on the right track though. Unfortunately I think it's worse then useless since it will not stop a virus from passing through. It will give some a false sense of security. Worst case, those who are cheap will consider making these instead of purchasing viable protection.

I read (on another forum) where a doctor said you need to protect against droplets so this (t-shirt mask) would work. That's only partially true. Since it can live on surfaces, we know it encapsulates and no longer needs droplets for transmission. So I disagree with his statements. Yes - some of the transmission will be via direct droplets, but some of it will be from touching a contaminated item -- or having viral particles kicked up in the air and inhaling them. Viable protection is important.

Comment

H5N1 is a virus of about 80nm diameter and will go right through all those things, including the ubiquitous disposable N95 masks.

Comment

You may be interested in learning that this mask concept was published in a letter to Emerging Infectious Diseases of the CDC...

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no06/05-1468.htm

We do not advocate use of this respirator in place of a properly fitted commercial respirator. Although subjectively we did not find the work of breathing required with the prototype mask to be different from that required with a standard N95 filtering facepiece, persons with respiratory compromise of any type should not use this mask. While testers wore the mask for an hour without difficulty, we cannot comment on its utility during strenuous work or adverse environmental conditions.

We showed that a hand-fashioned mask can provide a good fit and a measurable level of protection from a challenge aerosol. Problems remain. When made by naive users, this mask may be less effective because of variations in material, assembly, facial structure, cultural practices, and handling. No easy, definitive, and affordable test can demonstrate effectiveness before each use. Wearers may find the mask uncomfortable.

UNQUOTE

Comment

the most simple mask for protection is an n-95 mask. they have to fit tested.
              they come in small, medium and large. if you have a beard or huge mustache, they wont fit properly. t-shirts will keep smoke out and very little else.

Comment

an even better means of protection is not letting people sneeze or cough on you. keep you fingers out of all your orificies. the virus enters through mucosal membrains. yes, that means no more picking your nose. keep clean.
                become obssessive compulsive about washing your hands. hope this helps.

Comment

If you expect to do any type of work, or are an employer and required to provide protection, then N95 is REQUIRED by OSHA.

They also currently require fit testing and an annual respiratory physical.

If you go handing out N95s to your employees without proper compliance, you're still on the hook for some very nasty OSHA sanctions. Some include jail time.

So no, I would not be recommending a T-shirt mask to anyone in my fire department, or their families.
                  --
                  Life's full of speedbumps.
                  Have a good suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfwag
                    H5N1 is a virus of about 80nm diameter and will go right through all those things, including the ubiquitous disposable N95 masks.
                    Finally someone with common sense!!! Thank you

Since I'm in healthcare, I personally have stocked N100 respirators with the understanding that they are not 100% effective. A canadian study showed they were about 97% effective against the SARS virus. (H5N1 is a different particle - but I've not found effectiveness studies using this virus.)

I'm also adding layers of protection. In my exam room, I've installed a HEPA filter unit with a germicidal bulb in it. UPenn did a study on it's effectiveness and it killed 74% of influenza viruses in their test. It takes 6 minutes to change out the air in the exam room and since I'm usually in their for 10 minutes, it should be helpful.

Comment

I disagree that the t-shirt mask is worthless. The mask was designed by professional respiratory people expressly addressing the problem of what to do when the manufactered masks run out. While it is true that the virus is small enough to go through a single layer of fabric, note that the mask has 8 layers, each one rotated 90 deg. to the previous layer. Note that cheap over-the-ear masks are supported at two points, and often gap under the eyes. This mask has a roll of fabric to close the under-eye gap. The mask is supported with a six-point harness system, which is similar to that used on full-face respirators. The mask was tested in the same manner that manufactured masks are tested, with a computerized vacuum machine, and having the wearer turn their head, talk, bend over, and in general try to shake it loose. This mask was found to be within 1 or 2% as good as a n-95 mask.

The mask is washable and bleachable, because it is 100% cotton fabric. T he 8-layer filter can be dyed with gentian violet, per a Japaneese peer-reviewed paper, to kill viruses on contact. The mask can be made anyplace in the world with a good t-shirt and a needle and thread, plus gentian violet if you can find it. GV is not trivial to find, though. It took me 2 months.

The big problem with any mask is its fit. Most of the ear-loop masks are what is worthless because air can come in under the eyes. It is not a substitute for a professional mask in a professional setting, at least until those masks run out. What will people do when the manufactured masks run out? IMO, any mask is better than nothing, and the t-shirt mask is better that many cheap masks. This t-shirt mask was at least designed by people who know what they are doing, and if the directions are followed, particularly tying it on, and if it is tested and adjusted to make sure it doesn't leak, would provide a serious level of protection that can be washed and reused.

Not silly at all.

Comment

Wet,

The weave in the fabric is too big -- even at eight layers.

Are you prepared to stake your life on it's effectiveness? I certainly would not!

Comment

I am with WetDirt on this one.
                          While I agree it is not ideal I suspect even a couple of layers of cloth would keep out larger doplets and anything that decreese the viral load your immune system is confronted with can't be a bad thing. The real danger with mask wearing is over confidance. A mask that can be washed in bleach and reused seems to be a good lowtech standby.

Comment

We purchased some standard N95 masks and some washable masks from an online company. They may or may not be the best choice, but will surely be better than nothing, easier to breathe in and cost effective.

I have no affiliation with this company and no idea of whether or not these are adequate protection. Deb

Actual masks are in oodles of fabric patterns - many pages to choose from.
                            "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                            "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

prepdeb- i looked at that page-pretty interesting! i personally wouldnt trust something that isnt niosh certified- but, that looks like a good option if theres no medical masks available. another possibility is to ear it over a n95, as a prefilter.
                              Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                              Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                              Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                              Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                              Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                              To weave it into fabric..
                              Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                              All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X