US panel wary of mask reuse against pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US panel wary of mask reuse against pandemic

If it is "safe" (USDA, FAO, and WHO, 2006) to cook poultry potentially infected with H5N1 to 165 degrees fahrenheit, why would it not be the same with decontamination of masks?.... simply put them on a pizza fan, drop them in the oven? Do not try this at home!!!

165 degrees is below the melting point of the rubber and plastic pieces, and well below the ignition temperature for a cotton/poly fabric.

From the article: "There is currently no simple, reliable way to decontaminate these devices (face masks) that would enable people to safely use them more than once," the panel said in a statement.

I would like to see the USDA, FAO, and WHO come out with a statement that says, "There is currently no simple, reliable way to safely cook chicken infected with H5N1 or a method that would enable people to perform this unsafe act more than once."
    "Predictable is Preventable" by Safety Expert Dr. Gordon Graham.

Re: US panel wary of mask reuse against pandemic

OK, I will repost what I can, since I have delete the entire post.

About three years an half ago, I have seriously study the effects of negative ions and ozone generators with HEPA filter and UV light incorporated.

I intend to use them in a closet to disincfect everything that might be contaminated. Viruses are by nature positively charge and the negative ions is attracted to the membrane of the virus and act as a grain of sand in the mechanism of viral replication.

Ozone is like chlorine for air. It is good to disincfect but it can be harmfull for lungs, thus the use in a close closet.

The XJ-3000C is the one
    Last edited by Extra; April 28, 2006, 01:31 PM. Reason: removed link to product - FT does not link to products

Comment

They were asked to study mask re-use, not efficacy, so the report is somewhat limited, and they do recommend further research. Heating various materials or exposing them to higher temperatures may alter the structure of materials, possibly weakening them, even if they don't ignite. Remember, that masks are exposed to considerable moisture when worn and some pressures when breathing in them, so heating, moistening and drying fibers changes them. You don't want to stake your life on a mask, especially one that has been used beyond it's indication. The IOM is the best unbiased set of experts we have, we should listen to them on this.

Also note the importance of fit-testing, which is an exacting procedure using scent detection.

To go to the actual report go here:

Here is an exerpt:

"...CAN DISPOSABLE RESPIRATORS BE RE-USED?

A properly fitted N95 respirator is likely to be both the least expensive and the most widely available respirator for protecting healthcare workers and the public against airborne
      infection. However, without manufacturing modifications, disposable N95 respirators cannot be effectively cleaned or disinfected and should therefore be discarded after each use. In addition, the need for fit-testing respirators is critical and must be an integral
      part of any program that promotes their use.

? The committee could not identify or find any simple modifications to the manufacturing process that would permit disposable N95 respirators to be reused without increasing the likelihood of infection.
      ? Any method of decontaminating a disposable N95 respirator must remove the viral threat, be harmless to the user, and not destroy any part of the respirator. The committee found no method of decontamination that met all three criteria.
      ? The committee found no simple modifications to currently existing N95 respirators that would prevent the need for fit-testing..."

Comment

Thanks Ceredwin,

That is the basic research style I rely upon to survive if H5N1 goes pandemic.

Small in scale, adequately researched and cited, easy to understand.... good references and examples.... cites primary or secondary research.

It allows me to make personal decisions....

Thanks for the info.
        "Predictable is Preventable" by Safety Expert Dr. Gordon Graham.

Comment

Snowy, will the heavenfresh do all these three things?

> ? Any method of decontaminating a disposable N95 respirator must remove the viral threat, be harmless to the user, and not destroy any part of the respirator.

If yes, is your offer for a discount at heavenfresh still available? You recall the code number to use?
          GR

Originally posted by Snowy Owl
          OK, I will repost what I can, since I have delete the entire post.

About three years an half ago, I have seriously study the effects of negative ions and ozone generators with HEPA filter and UV light incorporated.

I intend to use them in a closet to disincfect everything that might be contaminated. Viruses are by nature positively charge and the negative ions is attracted to the membrane of the virus and act as a grain of sand in the mechanism of viral replication.

Ozone is like chlorine for air. It is good to disincfect but it can be harmfull for lungs, thus the use in a close closet.

The XJ-3000C is the one
          Last edited by Extra; April 28, 2006, 01:32 PM. Reason: removed link to product - FT does not link to products

Comment

It doesn't help to kill the virus, if the material of the mask is weakened by use and "treatments." The mask may be de-contaminated, but the protective barriers changed by exposure to the treatments you used to decontaminate, and you have no way of knowing the mask has failed.

The report also stresses the use of fit testing, which you can't do at home. There are better and safer ways to avoid exposure, like social distancing. Just stay home.

Techno fantasies are risky and unproven, and you are betting your life.

Comment

I think we are all right in this.

First the fit test, is a must. Whitout the fit test, you do not have full protection that is evident. That is why in NIOSH guidelines the fit test is mandatory, and rightly so. You cannot be certain that you will not be at risk if you do no wear the mask properly.

Second, yes ozone and negative ioniser will kill the viruses. But at properly stated, the used mask might have some fibers damage by the moisture and the pressure.

Therefore, I am totally convince that without proper wearing of the mask you cannot be totally protected, secondly even if all the viruses are killed it does not mean that it is safe for reasons cited above.

My personnal position on that is if, you do not have nothing, but used masks, and have to get out in high density viral zone, better have an imperfect mask than nothing, that is my sole point.

One more thing, we have to be intellectually honest, the virus has the size of 1.37 nanometer, with a tail. N95 mask width is 5 nanometer.

Despite this wearing properly a mask is usefull, and if down the road you have nothing, a used one better than nothing.

Comment

Hard to imagine what situation people would need to go out in, waste of gasoline, no supplies available, etc...

And if you have the flu in your own house, you were likely already exposed for days while the patient was asymptomatic and shedding virus. If they have it, likely you do too.

Buy the masks for home use if you think it will help, but I see no reason to go out unless my house is on fire (I got more extinguishers this week).

Comment

You are right Ceredwin, we must avoid at all cost getting out in high viral density zone, but I doubt that every body will be able to do that for various reasons.

If someone has to get out in a high viral zone, we better tell them, what they could used to protect themselves with wathever PPE is available and prophylactic available.

But sure in the best of all worlds no one will have to get out, but I doubt that will be the case.

Comment

I've searched for the article that says the virus lives up to 6 days... and I can't find it.

This is as close as I could come:
                    http://www.newsday.com/news/health/n...y-health-print

"Tests have shown that H5N1 can survive in bird feces for at least 35 days at about 39 degrees Fahrenheit, the World Health Organization said in January."

Anyone have that other ref? It's important that we get the word out about not counting on putting masks in a baggie and in the sun for 3 days then re-using. What time period might be reasonable?

(feeling a bit brain dead at the moment)
                    (working too hard on other projects)

Comment

Working...
                    X