Bleach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleach

I am not pushing a product, brand, company or source. This link is provided for those unfamiliar with welding blankets for discussion and information purposes. There are a variety of chlorine test kits available. Most that I have looked at are fairly in expensive. What surprised me is the relatively small amount of bleach needed in a solution of water for sanitation and disinfectant purposes. I would have wasted a lot of bleach over time if I had not used the kit strips. Test kits like the one below are required for use in many food processing facilities in Pennsylvania. - AC

Chlorine Sanitizer Test Strips
    Eliminate the guessing game when adding chemicals to your dishwashing sink with these FMP (Frankin Machine Products) 142-1362 SK-TWC-Chrome litmus test strips! These strips are perfect for testing chlorine sanitizers and are made of litmus paper, which is a type of paper that has been specially treated to test pH levels and is one of the oldest ways of testing chemicals.

Eliminate the guessing game when adding chemicals to your dishwashing sink with these FMP (Frankin Machine Products) 142-1362 SK-TWC-Chrome litmus test strips! These strips are perfect for testing chlorine sanitizers and are made of litmus paper, which is a type of paper that has been specially treated to test pH levels and is one of the oldest ways of testing chemicals. Simply dip the paper in your chlorine sanitizer solution and compare the color that appears on the litmus paper to the colors on the side of the vial in order to determine acidity. These strips will ensure accuracy when measuring how much chemical you should be mixing into the water of your sanitizing sink. These test strips should not be stored in an area with high humidity or in an area where they may be exposed to water before use.
    We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Re: Bleach

Emergency Water Disinfection When boiling off water for 1 minute is not practical, disinfect water by the following method:

1. Remove suspended particles by filtering or letting particles settle to the bottom.
    2. Pour off clear water into a clean container.
    3. Add 12 drops (1/8 teaspoon) of Clorox® Regular-Bleach (not scented or Clorox® Plus® bleaches) to two gallons of water (2 drops to 1 quart). For cloudy water, use 24 drops per two gallons of water (3 drops to 1 quart).4. Let treated water stand for 30 minutes. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat and wait another 15 minutes. The treated water can then be made palatable by pouring it between clean containers several times. -

See more at:

Comment

Shelf Life of Clorox Bleach

Q. I need Dr. Laundry's help! Regarding the shelf life of liquid chlorine bleach–if the bottle is stored and unopened, does it still have a shelf life of about a year, or will it store much longer if it remains sealed?

A. Thanks for your inquiry. I have written about this previously on the blog (http://www.drlaundryblog.com/?s=bleach+shelf+life) if you want to search for a more detailed answer.

The overall answer is yes, but there are a couple of possible caveats. The active ingredient in liquid bleach, sodium hypochlorite, is very sensitive to high heat and freezing, but under normal home storage conditions, it should still perform well for nine to twelve months. So if your storage conditions were either of these, then you will have irreversibly created salt and water.

Next question is intended use. The active does decline over time and to meet our EPA disinfecting requirements, you are probably on-the-edge; so I might add a little more than the 3/4 cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water for any disinfecting projects. For general cleaning, you should be fine since a little liquid bleach goes a long way. Finally, I would start using it up ASAP and try not to keep it around so long in the future.

Find the perfect cleaning products and learn how to use bleach, disinfecting wipes, and other cleaning supplies to remove stains, deep clean, and sanitize.

This information has been revised over time. In prior releases I believe a figure of about 6 months from the time of manufacture for disinfection purposes was mentioned. That being said, after manufacture the bleach must be packaged, shipped to the store for sale and sit on the store shelf until sold. So at time of purchase the original estimated shelf life of bleach was three to five months from time of purchase. - AC

Comment

Also from the Clorox web site on disinfecting using bleach:

Toilets

To Clean and Disinfect a toilet bowl: Flush toilet or bidet. Pour ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach into bowl. Brush bowl with scrub brush and let stand for 10 minutes. Flush.

Bathtubs

To Clean and Disinfect: Pre-wash surface with clean water. Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Allow solution to contact surface for at least 5 minutes. Rinse well and air dry

Sinks

To Clean and Disinfect: Pre-wash surface. Wipe with a solution of ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Allow solution to contact surface for at least 5 minutes. Rinse well and air dry.

Faucets

To Clean and Disinfect: Pre-wash surface. Wipe with a solution of ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Allow solution to contact surface for at least 5 minutes. Rinse well and air dry.

Potty Chairs

To Clean and Disinfect: Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Empty seat and fill with bleach solution. Let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse, drain and let air dry.

Plastic Toys

To Clean and Disinfect: Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Soak pre-washed toys 5 minutes. Rinse and let air dry.

High Chairs

To Clean and Disinfect hard, nonporous surfaces: Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Sponge down pre-washed surface and let stand 5 minutes. Rinse and let air dry. *Safe for hard, nonporous surfaces only.

Changing Tables

To Clean and Disinfect: Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Sponge down prewashed surface and let stand 5 minutes. Rinse and let air dry. *Safe for hard, nonporous surfaces only.

Floors

To Clean: Pre-wash surface. Wipe or mop area with a solution of ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Allow solution to contact surface for at least 5 minutes. Rinse well and air dry.To Sanitize: Wash, rinse and wipe surface area with a solution of 2 teaspoons of bleach per 1 gallon of water for (at least) 2 minutes. Let air dry.

Disposals

To Clean and Disinfect: pour ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach into drain while running disposal and water.

Sippy Cups

To Clean & Sanitize: Mix 2 tsp of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Soak pre-washed cups for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

Cutting Boards

To Clean and Sanitize: Mix 2 tbsp of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Pour solution over pre-washed cutting board and let stand for 2 minutes. Rinse with 2 tsp of this product per gallon of water. Do not rinse or soak overnight.

Travel Mugs & Water Bottles

To Clean and Sanitize: Mix 2 tsp of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Pre-wash surface. Fill pre-washed travel mugs and water bottles and let stand 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

Appliances

To Clean and Disinfect: Pre-wash surface with clean water. Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach into 1 gallon of water. Wipe surface with bleach solution and let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse well and air dry.

Walls

To Clean and Disinfect: Mix ? cup of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Pre-wash surface. Wipe with bleach solution and let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse and let air dry.

Pet Bowls

To Clean and Sanitize: Mix 2 tsp of Clorox? Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Pre-wash surface. Fill prewashed bowls and let stand 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

Comment

The following video is posted for information and discussion purposes only. I am not suggesting anyone do this. Chlorine is very, very dangerous and toxic! It is dangerous, to inhale, ingest or get on exposed skip or in eyes or any other part of the body. Hypothetically; I would want to use the chlorine test kit before betting my life and health on homemade bleach. Also due to the dangers of the toxic gas produced by this process I would think it preferable they do this out side or in very well ventilated area. Doing it in what looks like a small unventilated or poorly ventilated room may not have been the best idea.

This video shows how to convert salt water to Chlorine bleach by running an electric current thru it using what they are calling a converter made up of inexpensive parts that can be found at most hardware, plumbing and electrical supply stores.

Doomsday Preppers - Saline Converter

Comment

Information on storage of Chlorine Water Solution

"Moist chlorine, however, corrodes most metals rapidly and a solution of chlorine in water has powerful oxidizing, bleaching and germicidal properties.
            ....Glass, ceramics, hard rubber and some plastics are resistant to moist chlorine. "

More (but not all) information on safer storage of Chlorine can be found at:

Storing chlorine can be extremely dangerous. This may be why facilities such as water treatment plants may only have a few weeks supply on hand at any given time, depending on JIT, Just In Time delivery of the chemicals needed for water purification. -AC

Comment

Bleach goes bad storing for long periods, calcium hypochlorite is a longer storage alternative according to EPA provided you don't buy the kind with algaecide or fungicide chemicals that are probably not safe for human consumption. Select choose a disinfection method.
              http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/...sinfection.cfm

Comment

Working...
              X