Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What FluTrackers are Personally Doing About a Future Pandemic Influenza

You bring up an interesting point.

For myself, I spend so much time on FT that very little time is left in the day for other local projects.

But what I do is include in my personal circle 9 other people (total = 10 including me). 3 are children, 4 are underemployed "poors" and can not support themselves. So when I "prep" I am actually prepping for 9 more people and 8 of the 10 are in your target groups. Only 2 people in my group can financially support themselves and are not children.

And this is in Central Florida, USA.

Comment

Sharon underestimates what she does for the underprivileged. No one does more than she does.

Spends most of her time keeping this website open.

Funds most of FT.

Keeps people who post here focused on emerging diseases.

Reminds people constantly that we are read by experts in every field dedicated to keeping the world informed.

Does not allow any advertising here thus preventing corrupting influences. Neither does she allow government interference of what, when and who we allow to post.

Edited to add:

Actually, most of those who are regular contributors to FT should be included as important to everyone in the world not just those in higher income brackets. Some of our posters actually fall into your targeted bracket. Some are disabled, some are on social security, some are just plain out of work but they all selflessly keep the world better informed. We ceaselessly update new scientific breakthroughs and ideas. We attempt to help people prepare mentally and physically for any emergencies. We do our best to provide alternative therapies to those who are unable to acquire conventional medicine. And we do it not through hearsay but through scientific research. Not everyone is the kind of person who is comfortable discussing emerging disease with strangers. But, everyone here does his or her best to complete any known gaps that might help others be prepared and informed.

FT would not exist without her. My hat is off to you Sharon.
      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
      Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

If I hadn't 'prepped', I would have frozen to death, thanks to the gas and oil industry exporting domestic propane.

In terms of prepping, I would not lump myself in with that totally nutty TV show, but, suffice it to say, we could survive a quite while off grid, whatever that entails mostly because we live a fairly self-sustainable lifestyle. Yes, we have supplies and gear. Is it wise to prepare for grid outages, food shortages, pandemic? After this propane 'shortage', I would be even more inclined to say 'yes'.

I'm on Flutrackers because by the time WHO figures it out, it will be yesterday's news.

Comment

Yesterday I ordered some Honeysuckle tea based on the results of this study:

Also, today I am going to look at this season's flu vaccine and probably get a shot. I have a co-morbidity that is proven to complicate recovery from the H1N1pdm09 strain (at least). Also, I have never had any adverse reaction to any vaccine. I am in the Why Not? category. The flu vaccine (w/o adjuvant) probably can't hurt me and might help. In addition, with enterovirus D68 now in Florida and the ominous ongoing ebola scare, if I take the flu shot, I might narrow down the candidates for any flu-type illness.

I am not endorsing the flu vaccine. I am just saying what my personal decision is for myself with my medical condition and history. Some years I get the vaccine, other years I do not.

Flu vaccine DOES NOT guarantee that you are 100% protected against the flu. For some people it is not effective. The flu vaccine does not protect against all strains of the flu.

Flu vaccine is a medicine and we recommend that everyone consult their medical practitioner before taking any medicine or treatment.

Comment

I don't take the flu vaccine because I've had flu once in the last twenty years or more (that's only as long as I've been keeping track) without the vaccine. And also because I have Lyme and I don't want to do anything that might prompt a recurrence of that. In other terms, I'm pretty well prepared. Chickens, dairy goats, large garden, fruit trees, berries. Just got in a couple of month's worth of hay and will buy more next month. Off-grid, and I know how to live without electricity if the solar system were to fail. No one can be totally self-sufficient, but I'm in much better shape than ever in the past. My herbal preparations are along the same lines as Shannon's and I'm fairly knowledgeable about foraging. If I could keep myself and the animals alive over the winter I'd be okay after that just on what I raise, grow and could find growing wild on my own property. That doesn't take into account having to deal with other people, of course.

I'm much more concerned about flu than Ebola.
            Last edited by Lizw; October 8, 2014, 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

For those of you using turmeric, are you aware that it needs to be taken with an appropriate oil and with freshly ground pepper? Turmeric is not soluble in water or in water-based fluids like stomach acids. The oil holds it in solution long enough for the digestive system to make use of it. Piperine, the major active ingredient in black pepper, makes the cucurmin in turmeric roughly 2000 times more bioactive than it would be by itself. But piperine loses its potency after exposure to air in approximately 20 to 30 minutes, so it needs to be freshly ground before use. Another method is to make up a paste of turmeric, oil, water and pepper, and store it in the fridge, where it will keep for about a week.

If anyone is interested in more details, there is a Facebook group called Turmeric Users Group. It was started by an Aussie equine vet and a couple of his veterinary nurses, and while most of the posts have been about problems specific to horses, there is an increasing number of members using turmeric for themselves and for other animals. I take it regularly for Lyme and arthritis, and feed it to my goats. Details of the recommended ways to use it, along with citations for many laboratory studies, are in the group's files.

Comment

Good point Liz regarding the turmeric.

If Ebola were to suddenly threaten any of our readers by becoming a local problem, then turmeric or curcumin would not be a good herb to be taking. Apparently during the first part of the disease course it is prudent to take a blood thinner, which is a side-effect of turmeric . But, during the latter half of the disease when internal bleeding occurs, taking a blood thinner would be deadly. Turmeric/curcumin stays in the bloodstream for several days after ingestion. As there is no way to clear the bloodstream of the herb once taken, other than time, it would be prudent to stop taking the herb early rather than late.
                Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                Thank you,
                Shannon Bennett

Comment

Agreed. This is why we are making no recommendations, whatsoever, for ebola. There is simply not enough science on any of the pharmaceuticals or traditional medicines.

If anyone suspects they may have ebola, and/or, may have been exposed to a person who has ebola - they need to contact their medical practitioner immediately.

DO NOT SELF TREAT FOR EBOLA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
                    Good point Liz regarding the turmeric.

If Ebola were to suddenly threaten any of our readers by becoming a local problem, then turmeric or curcumin would not be a good herb to be taking. Apparently during the first part of the disease course it is prudent to take a blood thinner, which is a side-effect of turmeric . But, during the latter half of the disease when internal bleeding occurs, taking a blood thinner would be deadly. Turmeric/curcumin stays in the bloodstream for several days after ingestion. As there is no way to clear the bloodstream of the herb once taken, other than time, it would be prudent to stop taking the herb early rather than late.
                    I believe tests have shown that turmeric clears the system within a few hours. That's why it's recommended to take smaller amounts several times a day rather than a larger amount once a day. That has been my experience as well. It should not be administered to ruminants more than once a day, however, given the peculiarities of their digestive systems.

And yes, absolutely should not be taken if there are any concerns about clotting times or if someone is already takeing an anti-coagulant or blood thinner. I noticed myself when I began taking it in medicinal doses rather than just cooking with it that I was experiencing some bleeding under the skin from minor bumps. That cleared up after the first couple of days of a larger dose and has not recurred.

Comment

We have just had an extensive operational prep check. DH was out of work for a few month and I had quit my last job because it was too physically demanding (getting old is not for sissies). The following are things we found out and things I think are important to prep for my family.

Having cash reserve to cover several months of expenses is a must have. We will have to rebuild it now but it extremely helpful.

Stored food is a life saver but I would not have to live without fresh foods. A garden helps so do chickens.

Having all preventive medical care and maintenance for the family up to date was important.
                      All eye exams were done and eye glasses scripts filled.
                      All dental exams, cleaning, x-rays and maintenance done.
                      All physicals and vaccines are up to date. I had to put off some procedures. Not good but necessary.

Medical insurance was paid. COBRA is expensive but provides peace of mind as well as significant financial help when a potentially life threatening emergency happened to a family member.

Fuel tanks for heating and cooking had been refueled. This was a worry I was thankful I did not have to deal with.

We have a septic tank that gets pumped every other year. It could go several years without pumping if needed.

House repairs is an ongoing battle. This is not news but by taking care of little problems before they became big ones has helped and saved us money and frustration.

Doing work when we can ourselves rather than hire it out. This saves money but increases ware and tare on us and our tools and equipment. There is a trade off. It is important to know ones limitations.

I continue to put food by, canning, pickling, dehydrating etc.

Every solstices and equinox home fire alarms are tested and batteries changed if needed. We have a family fire drill/plan meet up place. It is good to review every now and then.

Our fire extinguishers are in working order and convenient to hand.

Having a small stock pile of cleaners and cleaning aids was great. There was enough detergent and soap but we did run out of detergent for the dishwasher. Luckily there was plenty of regular dish soap on hand.

Right now my medical preps are in a disarray and need up dating. I like to keep the following ready to go:
                      A 5 gallon sick room bucket that contains everything needed to set up a sick room.
                      A dental emergency kit - checked with family dentist for help putting it together.
                      An emergency eye care kit - checked with family optician for help putting it together.
                      A personal health kit for each person in the family so we do not have to share things like: tweezers, nail clippers, thermometers, neti pots etc.

I try to go through my OTC drugs at least once a year and keep them in date.That has not been done yet.

We have some flu PPE on hand: exam gloves, N95 masks, goggles and Tyvek suits. I have been using the exam gloves for food prep and need more.
                      Last edited by Amish Country; August 7, 2015, 11:00 PM.
                      We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
                      X