Books Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books Reviews

Let's use this thread to link books that teach self reliant living skills that our readers may feel useful.

The ultimate generalist guide to self reliant skills IMHO is The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. My copy is dog-eared and well used! Its the first book I reach for whenever I look up a new skill, or look for further info on the basics of almost anything. Beginning gardeners will find it an excellent start, and just as useful as those who want to learn to make cheese, soap-or do almost anything!

here's the editorial review from the Amazon site:

From Publishers Weekly
    The updated ninth edition of this compendium of food production information is the hefty result of over three decades of intelligence-gathering by Emery, whose initial encyclopedia project was designed to help newbies in the "back to the land" movement of the early 70s learn self-sufficiency. Tasks Emery covers run the gamut from the simple to the complex, and from the common to the strange, and include how to: bake bread, make seed milk, sew a cornhusk bed, dry flowers, prune kiwi vines, culture yogurt, plant beans, keep bees, build a fish pond, artificially inseminate a turkey and help a cow who's eaten nails. In chapters such as "Grasses, Grains & Canes," "Food Preservation" and "Goats, Cows & Home Dairying," Emery offers advice, recipes (including many that are vegan), folk wisdom and plenty of hard facts. Though it's definitely not aimed at them, urbanites will find the recipes and resources lists (of herb periodicals, nurseries, organizations dedicated to simple living, etc.) useful, the trivia interesting ("catsup" was originally a thick sauce made from any fruit or vegetable), and Emery's personal reflections ("Once upon a time, in the bad old ways when the Communists and the Western countries were poised on the brink of mutual nuclear annihilation...") compelling. Even readers with no plans to raise sheep, sell homemade cheese or plant millet will find this a fascinating cultural document.
    Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
    Last edited by LMonty; April 19, 2006, 12:31 AM.
    Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
    Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
    Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
    Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
    Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
    To weave it into fabric..
    Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
    All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Re: Books Reviews

Root Cellering by Mike and Nancy Bubel is another great resource for those who plan to store what they produce in the garden. It covers lots of info, from the basics of how to put up small amounts in a closet or or a basement shelf, to plans and tips for using a real underground root celler.

From the Back Cover
    Root cellaring, as many people remember but only a few people still practice, is a way of using the earth's naturally cool, stable temperature to store perishable fruits and vegetables. Root cellaring, as Mike and Nancy Bubel explain here, is a no-cost, simple, low-technology, energy-saving way to keep the harvest fresh all year long.

In Root Cellaring, the Bubels tell how to successfully use this natural storage approach. It's the first book devoted entirely to the subject, and it covers the subject with a thoroughness that makes it the only book you'll ever need on root cellaring.

Root Cellaring will tell you:
    * How to choose vegetable and fruit varieties that will store best
    * Specific individual storage requirements for nearly 100 home garden crops
    * How to use root cellars in the country, in the city, and in any environment
    * How to build root cellars, indoors and out, big and small, plain and fancy
    * Case histories -- reports on the root cellaring techniques and experiences of many households all over North America

Root cellaring need not be strictly a country concept. Though it's often thought of as an adjunct to a large garden, a root cellar can in fact considerably stretch the resources of a small garden, making it easy to grow late succession crops for storage instead of many rows for canning and freezing. Best of all, root cellars can easily fit anywhere. Not everyone can live in the country, but everyone can benefit from natural cold storage.
    Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
    Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
    Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
    Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
    Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
    To weave it into fabric..
    Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
    All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Boston T party - surviving Y2K

there are 2 versions of this:
      surviving Y2k and "surviving doomsday" (w/amelia porter)

they are pretty much the same book

the Y2k title is decieving because it is really for all kinds of disasters.

I bought this based on the positive amazon reviews and they are correct. It is a real good all-around prep book that details stuff the typical red cross level books do not.

I actaully recommend most of the books by Boston T. Party.

Comment

Working...
      X