Clear All

• MI: St. Joseph Health System Employees Must Get Flu Shots

Source: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...shots-20110106

St. Joseph Health System Employees Must Get Flu Shots

Updated: Thursday, 06 Jan 2011, 9:23 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 06 Jan 2011, 9:23 PM EST

By ROBIN SCHWARTZ
    WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) - Every year the Centers for Disease Control recommends it. Everyone six months of age or older is urged to get a flu shot.

However, Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is taking that recommendation a step further. They are requiring all employees to get vaccines for flu and whopping cough or lose their jobs.

"I heard numerous stories, very sad. A pregnant woman was sitting there waiting to get her vaccine very nervous, crying. When they called her name, she ended up just running out of the room. She just couldn't do it," said Audra Arndt.

She is an attorney for several employees that say the new policy violates their rights.

The health system said about 50-percent of workers do not get a flu shot when given the option. Some, such as Arndt's brother-in-law, have never had one...

Re: MI: St. Joseph Health System Employees Must Get Flu Shots

Source: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ng-flu-shot%27

Nurse: 'I was fired for refusing flu shot'

Posted: 7:04 PM
    Last Updated: 1 hour and 19 minutes ago

Ypsilanti, Mich. (WXYZ) - A nurse for St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ypsilanti says she refuses to get a flu vaccination and she believes the decision led to her getting fired.

Karen Bashista says she was given a pink slip after she declined to get the vaccinations. Bashista says, "I was first told to get a letter from my minister and I'd be okay. Then my manager called me and told me they are not accepting my letter."

The hospital says it's making exceptions for people who have health or religious reasons, but those are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Employees have until Monday to comply with the new rule...

Comment

Working...
    X