Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heathcare Worker Poll: What is your institution doing to prepare for H1N1 Pandemic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heathcare Worker Poll: What is your institution doing to prepare for H1N1 Pandemic?

Recommending that we do not use N95 masks when caring for patients... Using guidelines that are vastlty different than the CDC's posted infection control guidelines! I can't believe that the healthcare industry is not protecting us... Sent an Email to infectious disease personel to ask why our policy is different that the CDC's recommendations. I am waiting to hear back form them. What good will it do if I protect myself and all staff around me are brainwashed by media to think the pandemic is MILD and not a public health emergency that warrents stricter infection control than normal.
    I spoke to the charge RN of emergency room last night, an Physicians assisstant from ER and many staff nurses in department showing them the PCAST, some read a few sentences said, "WOW where did you get that!" The physician assisstant said, "well its only effecting old people and patients with underlying conditions." When I started to share the information that I know she turned away and started looking at facebook!!!! I am so discouraged! I watch the news all channels looking for some hint of reality in the media. Why is nobody talking about the increase in deaths in the past week! I can't believe it I see long segments about musicans and awards, moviestars and how much money they make, who the movie stars are dating this week, sports, economy galore, but nothing about the family that have lost there loved one this week.
    Any talk that is about the H1N1 is about the vaccine which I dout is going to work, first of all it most likely will be too late for 2nd wave, also I believe the virus will mutate shortly if not allready making vaccine useless, and I believe the vaccine is being used as a calming technique. It seems very ironic that the PCAST talked about these things (vacinne coming too late, need for two doses, not achieving immunity for 6-8wks ) demonstrating the serverity of the attack rate infectioning so many people in short time, which of course would increase the mortality due to larger control group. Then miraculously everything changes in vaccine media coverage! Only need one dose, available sooner, creates robust immune response, all of these statements come so quickley after. I don't trust it, I feel like powers that be are using propaganda to stop, prevent, and quel panic. I makes me upset, because in them doing this, they are accually creating large populations of victims unable to make educated decisions base in reality!
    I have been trying to do my part. I carry the PCAST, MMWR articles, CDC situation updates, and press briefings from WHO/CDC in my bag. I show the facts to my peers that act interested or openminded. I work in a different place everynight because my position is based on acuity so on different floor every shift sometime twice a night I get moved. Everyone I work with knows I am interested in H1N1 pandemic and there are friendly jokes about my obsession in collecting data. I hope I have done some good in the world by educating the people I come into contact with. I am not looking foward to being right about this coming fall because I am invisioning a hospital with too many patients, overworked staff, boarding patients in hallway (which is normal for regular season), sick calls, and the look on peoples faces when they realize we could have planed this situation better if information was shared with them at earlier date.
    I have emailed, WHO, CDC, DPH, nurse manager, infection control and feel useless/powerless to make any changes to lack of information given to hospital staff at major Boston hopital I work at........ I am only a staff nurse with out the positon of management people wont listen.

Comment

Re: Heathcare Worker Poll: What is your institution doing to prepare for H1N1 Pandemic?

I too am suspicious of the timing and nature off all the recent vaccine good news, but it mostly matches my earlier predictions of how it would play out. The only thing not seen yet is disclosure of increased severity (or other "motivational" news) at the time it actually becomes available, but the vaccine is not yet available, so we shall see. That said, I still am convinced the vaccine could save many lives (and at least slow things down a bit) and the more people that participate, the better off we will all be.

Comment

Thread name: "Heathcare Worker Poll: What is your institution doing to prepare for H1N1 Pandemic"

It will be interesting to know if the bulk of the mainstream answers (for a 6 months working period preps) could be resumed with:

~"almost nothing".

Comment

Hi - our instititution is preparing but is not done with preparations. I work in outpatient primary care in a large hospital.

what I have done or helped with:
          1. create a phone triage protocol to help guide care (from phone call to nurse speaking with patient)
          2. create a quick visit for flu in our electronic medical record so that correct flu tests are there, work notes, chest xray order, tamiflu correct doses, premade note and patient instructions are all in one place
          3. got invitied to both task force and operational meeting since I had a strong interest in organizing a response.
          4. talked with heads of ED and OB to help liason with primary care to discuss surge treatment.
          5. enlisted clinics to cross train - our nurses can now do scheduling, front desk can do more basic phone calls and give patient masks/information if screening questionaire positive. physicians can check in and out patients.
          6. discussed surge clinics - after hours, weekends, in ED. staff to either work comp time or overtime.
          7. discuss with our hospital pharmacists to keep us updated on tamiflu supplies both hospital and community list of availability.

I keep looking for a website with information on what other places have done which helped and protocols for screening and essentially used mostly cdc and our hospital infection control to come up with protocols and administration to distribute. I find that having a few reps from each clinic gets the information out quickly and have personally gone to other clinics to show them and get input on protocols.

Comment

Wondering if HCW have any new posts. I live in region 1 currently at regional spread of H1N1. New comments?

Comment

In my community we have essentially ZERO flu right now.
              We have a real chance to stop or slow things way down as we should have vaccine before the wave arrives. Our school kids have already had paperwork signed by parents and we will be doing FluMist vaccination clinics at the local schools starting THE VERY DAY it arrives (current ETA by Oct. 5, we will know more on Sept.29). The kids come first because they are the breeding ground. Health care workers last (among first group) because we will be exposed last. The pattern seems to be that flu has to establish itself in the community before more severe cases that need hospitalization /ICU/ etc. will appear (whether this is statistical or severity escalation pattern of disease really does not matter , but that IS a worthy discussion for another thread).

Other preparations continue, it continues to be assumed spread will be airborne (whether or not it mutates).

Comment

HCW's,

Is your institution following CDC guidence? N95's for all suspected, prob, or confirmed H1N1, neg are flow for aresol generating procedures, gloves, gown, eye protection? Have you been given H1N1 vaccine?

Comment

We are now seeing, and hospitalizing, severe cases. No deaths yet.
                  We are lucky enough to have PAPR units, and are utilizing those for the best protection of our staff and patients, as well as to significantly stretch out our supply of N95's.

Patient care staff are now top priority to be vaxed and are getting vaxed at a high rate. Everyone is taking this very seriously. Triage areas are being set up to separate flu patients from others as they arrive at the facility. This is our first wave in this community and the rate of spread is amazing. Mask wearing in public is common.

Comment

Originally posted by RNboston View Post
                    Has there been any communication with staff about pandemic underway in world? we had a mtg today...

Have any new policies been released related to infection control?
                    this week no kids under 18 allowed unless they are parents of the child etc. However we are being asked to wash with soap and water since all of our hand sanitizer is out. You know I would think Purell would have heard about the pandemic when it started and prepared, but now they can't keep up.

Is there a screening tool being used to identify possible H1N1 patients?
                    no but we now have one to take home to go over and answer for ourselves so that we can get back to work. "If you are fever free for 24 hrs without etc etc" YOU can return to work-and if your cough is relatively under control.

Has anyone had management go over pandemic preparedness, response with units? no but we will now have to float throughout the hospital to cover units. Which angers me. I got my seasonal (mandated) and my H1N1 mist (voluntary) today at work. It is available now to those who can take it. I don't want to have to float to the ER to cover people who won't get vaccinated for uninformed reasons ("it will give me flu/GB etc"). Why should we have to pay for their misinformation (of course there are those who cannot be vaxd etc I know that but those that won't because of myths bugs me).

Has any healthcare profession been exposed to H1N1?
                    I am sure we have. Coworkers have it in their families and they are working! So much for isolation - won't work anyway. I see lots of people in masks, and even around town.

Did institution alert anyone of past exposure of patient with H1N1?
                    no.

Has any helathcare professional been treated with prophylactic tamiflu?
                    no.

Is your institution treating any severe pneumonia as possible H1N1?
                    unknown but Pulmonary is full up.

Is there any information that healthcare workers are coming across in careers related to H1N1 that they would like to share?
                    we are now told that : (be ready for this in your neck of the woods)...
                    Since this is a pandemic/natural disaster you will be required to fill in vacancies throughout the hospital. I.E. national emegency. (Hasn't it been a nat'l emergency for a while now?).

Comment

Working...
                    X