X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any nurses out there?

Suzy:

I am willing participate however we can help one another and/or a community plan and get the info they need.

I can give any info via PM that is requested of me. Many years ED experience, including peds, taught ACLS, PALS and paramedic instructor so I have no problem sharing info. IMO, it would be a waste for us NOT to be willing to do so due to fear of lawsuit, etc. We are not talking about practicing every day medicine, we are talking about using resources available to help save lives in a nationwide emergency in absence of proper health care. There is a MAJOR difference.

PM me, anytime.

Comment

I don't mind sharing info either but am mindful of a lot of things that can go wrong. It is my nature to think of things that can go wrong. A personality quirk.I need to find a website that shows pictures of the technique perhaps. I had a nurse on my floor years ago start an iv in an artery and she could not figure out why the fluids would not infuse..

Teaching about putting pressure on the site when an IV is removed or if an artery is accidently punctured.. Infection control while starting and maintaining the IV. Infusion rates. Possible complications and how to identify them all need to be addressed. It certainly is not rocket science but there are basic things that need to be taught.

Maybe this would be the place to start education before these techniques may be needed fot the layperson.

I still think rectal is the best place to start in severe dehydration as a vein might be mighty hard to find if the person is in this condition and there is less risk for complications.

Comment

Not the best but how to insert an angiocath
        http://www.mrprotocols.com/sset/iv.html

Comment

bump this.

Comment

Suzy,

I am also an RN, I work at UNC. Please privately email me, as I have some information about Duke's response plan, as well as the county and state plans that may be of interest to you. I can also answer your question about being forced to work.
            Thanks

Comment

New here, have been a Fluwiki for a few years.

Live in southern NJ, RN for 36 years, last 15 or so in non-clinical positions, but plan to work locally when TSHTF. Trying-without much success after 2 years-to get my township to plan for panflu.

Comment

Welcome Grace RN.

If you need anything please ask, many here have experience trying to prep their local communities with mixed success.

Comment

Welcome Grace RN

Comment

Welcome to FT Grace! We are practically neighbors.

I look forward to your contributions.
                    "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

We look forward to your participation here at Flutrackers. Welcome to the forum.
                      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Niko-how close are we?

Comment

Hello all,

I'm new to the site, and this is an old thread.

I've been an RN for 10 years and previous to that spent a lot of time doing first aid. Nursing was the next step in the "know what to do in an emergency" path. I have worked acute care, sub-acute, LTC, ED as float, and now working in psychiatry. I am looking to gather information about pandemics in general and the H1N1 specifically.

I found a link to this site on allnurses.com.

Comment

Welcome to FluTrackers, Morning-glory. Several members here post at allnurses.com. There is a tremendous amount of information about pandemics and preparation here at FluTrackers. The most important thing about preparing as a nurse is to determine for yourself how you will respond when the H1N1 pandemic starts to affect more people. If you haven't, you should review this thread at allnurses to help you figure out how you will respond.

http://allnurses.com/pandemic-flu-fo...rk-258506.html
                            http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome Morning Glory. I graduate in December with my associate RN. I have never seen this thread in all the years I've lurked here Glad you bumped it up. I also post at allnurses. Great advise for nursing students there! ALL my co-workers think the idea of preparing for a 1918 type pandemic is like preparing for an alien invasion. I do have OCD tendencies, but only in good areas I hope I am making sense, too many 12 hour days in a row lately.

Comment

Working...
                              X