X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any nurses out there?

Originally posted by mojorox
    You don't need a rx to buy iv fluids over the net. I buy them by the case. I do wildlife rehab and order them from vet sites. The brands are the same as for human iv fluids and a lot cheaper.
    Thanks for the welcome!
    Do you have a link and a shopping list? tubes, needles, etc.
    Judith --

What the method does not allow for cannot be proven or disproven using it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRJJ
      Do you have a link and a shopping list? tubes, needles, etc.
      posted by mojorox:
      You can purchase iv fluids on the net. If you google lactated ringers a lot of places come up. Here is one
      http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/sho...at=IV+Supplies
      Now which one of you are willing to give a tutorial on how to start an IV? I've had so many, I could probably handle it, but would love to find a good simple reference on the steps.

I'm the only woman in my family who is not involved in healthcare - with the exception of wiping snotty noses and administering tylenol to my 3 children

Add my thanks to all the nurses and healthcare workers who are participating here. You are in very good company!
      "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Niko
        posted by mojorox:

Now which one of you are willing to give a tutorial on how to start an IV? I've had so many, I could probably handle it, but would love to find a good simple reference on the steps.

I'm the only woman in my family who is not involved in healthcare - with the exception of wiping snotty noses and administering tylenol to my 3 children

Add my thanks to all the nurses and healthcare workers who are participating here. You are in very good company!
        Here is one.

http://www.chmeds.ac.nz/skillsunit/C...ANNULATION.pdf

Or you could do this instead of using the veins, this is what I have used with animals, but it can also be used for people and is easier.

Medical disclaimer, these instructions are for emergency use only. They are not a substitute for medical advice. You should talk to your health care provider about emergency medical care for your family and the possibility of a pandemic event.
        provider about providing this type of care in an emergency.
        Last edited by Blue; December 18, 2006, 09:03 AM.

Comment

mojo- I used to too, and then it was impossible to find, the animal stuff had gone to Rx too- so this is great! Thank you much.
          Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
          Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
          Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
          Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
          Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
          To weave it into fabric..
          Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
          All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
            Or you could do this instead of using the veins, this is what I have used with animals, but it can also be used for people and is easier.

WOW

Hypodermoclysis: This was used with a friend of my in Hospice a few weeks ago. It sounds and looked very "do"able and practical for the lay, but determined, player. I know that Woodson reports that hydration is the single most important treatment for AF, and the sine qua non of survival. In reading about the arduous nature of dripping a drop of fluid at a time down the sick persons throat for 8 hours a day, I realized that a 1:1 nursing ratio would be required. It seemed that small groups (families) in isolation would be placed under great stress if one parent had to nurse the other, leaving the children unattended for hours. Clearly, there are significant difficulties in managing the risk of disease transmission from the patient to the children, but at least the possibility of supervising each is possible. And, it makes it possible to set up a small hospital ward in a neighborhood with a few round the clock "nurses" to manage patients.

The list of equipment and techniques provided is a bit vague. For instance...where do I get hyaluronidase? Is it inserted into the tube or into the bag or into the patient at the site of needle insertion? How is it administered (e.g., injected into patient, powdered put into tube???) What is a sterile occlusive dressing?

I shall go shopping for a more thorough tutorial.

Thanks so much....This is a winner!!!!!!
            Judith --

Comment

bump this.

Comment

Thank you Blue!

I have held my cat on a number of occasions while she was hydrated in this manner. It seemed so simple and effective. I was not aware of this method being used with humans, but assumed it worked the same way. The vet simply inserted the needle under the skin between the kitty's shoulders and infused the fluids. It created a soft lump under the skin and did not appear to be unccomfortable for the animal. Within a hour, the large lump of fluid had been absorbed.

I plan to research this futher and would love to hear from HCW who have used this method on humans.

Originally posted by Blue
                Here is one.

http://www.chmeds.ac.nz/skillsunit/C...ANNULATION.pdf

http://dysphagia.com/mlist/2002-June/msg00082.html

Medical disclaimer, these instructions are for emergency use only. They are not a substitute for medical advice. You should talk to your health care provider about emergency medical care for your family and the possibility of a pandemic event.
                provider about providing this type of care in an emergency.
                "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

I just don't think I'd use it(subcutaneous) in humans. I have had IV's infiltrate into the skin and it is painful. Just my own opinion.
                  I looked and I got my IV supplies at

I have an acct with them as a wildlife rehabber. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Comment

Also I took the amazon link all the way to checkout and needed only one more click to buy so I don't think you need an rx there. Overstock.com also had it by the case but they are out of stock right now.

Comment

Thank you Blue!

I have held my cat on a number of occasions while she was hydrated in this manner. It seemed so simple and effective. I was not aware of this method being used with humans, but assumed it worked the same way. The vet simply inserted the needle under the skin between the kitty's shoulders and infused the fluids. It created a soft lump under the skin and did not appear to be unccomfortable for the animal. Within a hour, the large lump of fluid had been absorbed.

I plan to research this futher and would love to hear from HCW who have used this method on humans.
                      Here is some discussion on this technique. It is still used in Israel:

In regards to the last post about IV fluids, I have always wondered about Subcutaneous IV- I have never seen it done. Can anyone explain how it is inserted and ...

Hey there,I am writing the CINA exam in a few weeks and I would like to know if anyone can tell me about hypodermoclysis and venoclysis?I have honestly never he...

Comment

posted by mojorox:

Niko:

I will give you the basic steps and pointers on hard to find veins and easy tips. Nearly 30 years in ED. PM me if you need me.

I placed an order.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorox
                          I just don't think I'd use it(subcutaneous) in humans. I have had IV's infiltrate into the skin and it is painful. Just my own opinion.
                          I looked and I got my IV supplies at

I have an acct with them as a wildlife rehabber. I don't know if that makes a difference.
                          Mojorox, I agree with your concerns about this technique. I think that it is something only for when you have no access to medical care and no venous access. Sometimes even we can not put an IV into a vein with some people.
                          I guess, I am of the opinion that you have to provide this information in case it is needed. Let us hope that it is not. I would do this if there was no way to get someone to drink, and I could not get into a vein, and no access to medical care, in other words, in an emergency.

Comment

I would consider it only as an emergency procedure for rehydration, too, but would do it if push came to shove. I would also consider the NG tube and/or rehydrating enema methods, too, if it meant those were the last routes I could take to rehydrate my kid if no other medical care accessible.

My mom recently got nearly a whole liter of NS in her hand/wrist at a LTC facility from fluids going overnight and not on an infusion pump and it was allowed to infiltrate and gravity infuse all night unattended. It absorbed and did fine in spite of having 20 meq of potassium in the fluids so hypodermaclysis still works.

Pediatric advanced life support also teaches intraosseous infusion on kids less than age 8 where a special needle (used to use bone marrow needle) drilled into the bone of lower leg. Back in the 1940's or so when IO was first introduced, it was initially done on adults in the hip bone area (iliac crest). New Advanced Cardiac Life Support guidelines are bringing back mention of some meds for adults can be given via this route. I would not be surprised to see this route come back around for adults. I wouldn't hesitate to put an IO access in one of my little bitty family members in a pandemic situation if I couldn't get IV access anywhere else and it was a matter of life/death. EMS does them in some states. Any IV fluids, medications, blood/blood products, etc. that can be given IV can be given IO (exception is Adenosine for PSVT due to short half-life, med won't reach central circulation to affect before med effect is gone, therefore med is useless via this route-won't hurt; just won't help).

Sorry, carried away...

Comment

Thank you Kirby, Blue and mojorox for your suggestions and comments!

I hope I'm never in a position of having to hydrate my children, husband or self via IV. Since we plan to SIP and certainly don't want to visit an emergency room in a pandemic situation, I want to have a reasonable level of knowledge and equipment to handle emergencies. I have read about rehydrating through enemas and am comfortable with this technique but would like to have other options, if necessary. Thanks again.

Comment

Guys....you miss my point. It is so scary for a lay person to consider IV. How do you find the vein? What equipment do you need? And so forth.

But I can stick a needle under the skin and attach it to a bag. And if I run out of IV fluides, I can imagine refilling my empty bags (sterile bags and sterile lines) from a homemade souution. Also, it makes isolation a safer bet, because you do not need a larger group to support a nursing effort. I am jazzed!
                                Judith --

Comment

Working...
                                X