Low Energy, Light Weight Thermos Cooking, "gourmet" spaghetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Energy, Light Weight Thermos Cooking, "gourmet" spaghetti

Some months ago, I started a thread at the CE Prep forum about "low energy thermos cooking".

I'll relate here a procedure to make an inexpensive spaghetti dish that's lightweight to carry and fairly low energy to prepare [a concern if you have to pack the ingredients and heat source].

The ingredients are from WMart, pasta kit from the Spanish section and canned meat from canned meat area.

I used a one qt. stainless thermos to minimize energy requirements.

Ingredients:

1/4 contents of a box of Kraft Spaghetti Classics Tangy Italian Dinner [total weight 8 oz], I used 1/4 that or 2 oz incl the spice pack and cheese pack.

Calorie count for 1/4 the Kraft box contents is 240 as prepared, 15 cals from fat.

Heat 24 oz water to near boil, dump into thermos to preheat, return to pan to raise temperature again and dump back into thermos. Add 1/4 of the contents of package of pasta to thermos.

Let sit 14 minutes, w/ occasional shake.

Meanwhile, heat 1/3 can [about 2 or 3 oz] tomato paste [or whatever tomato sauce you have] and add 1/4 of the Kraft pack of spices, bring to boil. Shut off heat and wrap in towel to insulate pan and let simmer 10 minutes or until spaghetti is ready.

To add protein and fat to the dish, I found some canned roast beef at the same time today, Hormel Roast Beef, 12 oz, 340 cal/can 120 cal from fat, and added the whole can to the sauce [after rinsing the meat to get rid of some of the salt].

Drained and saved the thermos water, dumped the pasta into a lightweight plastic 2 section tray and put the meat and sauce into the other section.

Total calories ~600; 135 from fat.

If you need more fat, carry olive oil or "canned clarified butter" that requires no refrigeration and is supposed to be reasonably healthy called Ghee, and add a bit to the meal.

The dish was fairly filling, good, nutritious, balanced, and I'd prefer it to Mountain House. Total weight is not too much greater than MH and the meat is a whole lot better.

I'd like a less tangy sauce though, so I'd recommend experimenting with some spices to carry dry to make a sauce that suits your individual taste.

No need to buy the Kraft kit, just concoct a spice mix of your own to add to any kind of pasta, and the only heavy item you need to fix the sauce is the can of tomato paste.

Tomato paste can also be purchased dried, or you can dry your own. I've done it, real easy.

Any kind of pasta can be used.

Next time I'll use my favorite spaghetti sauce recipe if I can remember it.

Re: Low Energy, Light Weight Thermos Cooking, "gourmet" spaghetti

Do note the bit about preheating the thermos. My thermos experiment last weekend was dismal as a consequence.

Dismal Thermos Hot German Potato Salad

1/2 box potatoes au grautin, any brand, just the potatoes.
    2 Tbs bacon bits
    2 Tbs onion flakes
    2 Tbs dill pickle relish
    1 good squeeze yellow mustard
    2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
    2 Tbs sugar
    half the boiling water on the box directions.

About 3:00 in afternoon, boil water in Kelly kettle. Don't preheat thermos. Just dump everything into thermos. Shake well and leave out in the sun.
    At dinner time, tired and hungry, open it up and discover that it's not very well cooked, and that it can't be reheated in the kelly kettle, of course.
    Eat anyway, bitterly regretting not preheating the thermos. Give the rest to the wild rabbits.

Lesson: Preheat the thermos.

Comment

Re: Low Energy, Light Weight Thermos Cooking, "gourmet" spaghetti

Yep, that improves the efficiency w/ a minimal amt more energy expended.

Consider more water and/or preheat ingredients to add more thermal mass and improve cooking time.

Another idea is to preheat an inert object like a bar of stainless steel and dump it in with the ingredients to increase cooking time. Later, wrap it in a towel and use it as a hand warmer in your sleeping bag later.

Comment

Working...
      X