X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Build a Home Library

This is how I built my home library.

http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/cu...ocklibrary.htm

A well-stocked library is a great addition to your homeschooling years, but how can we afford one? Here are some ideas of how to obtain books and curriculum inexpensively.

1. Check yard sales for used books.

2. Look at your local thrift stores often.

3. Check your used book stores, but watch the prices.

4. Go to book sales at your local library.

5. Check online used books and curriculum sites, don't forget to figure in shipping.

6. Go to auctions and swap meets.

7. Watch book club flyers and catalogs like Scholastic Books and other Book Distributors.

8. Attend local homeschool used book/curriculum sales.

9. Check out warehouse/discount stores.

10. Set up a swap circle with your homeschooling friends

Re: How to Build a Home Library

I have been picking up beautiful used books, like new, all summer long at church sales and yard sales. Usually $1 each.
    Mostly history, archaeology, and geography. Some cookbooks too.

And I also picked up someones old collection of National Geographic magazines (many boxes for free). And some old LIFE magazines. Beautiful photography.

But I just don't have enough shelf space. So they are all sealed in cardboard boxes for now. Heavy boxes.

And I think I will get some calligraphy supplies and finally learn how to write so at least I can read my own writing.

The news programs will probably be dismal, so I have also added to my large stash of home movies too. They are usually $1 each at home sales.

Don't forget to buy crossword puzzle books and activities books for kids. And crayons, colored pencils, and sidewalk chalk.

Plain paper, envelopes and copy paper may not be available, so stock up on that too. And ink cartridges for the printer. And dozens of pens and pencils.

Comment

We buy used sonlight curriculums. They include some wonderful books that the kids read even when they don't have to.
      "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

We picked up a beautiful set of encyclopedia at a moving sale and found some good children's books at Church and School out grow sales.

You might want to talk to local grade school teachers. They may know of other local sources of children's books and learning materials, used and otherwise.
        We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
        X