Childrens hidden fears of Bird Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens hidden fears of Bird Flu

As Bird Flu comes closer and closer to Michigan and my children see endless bags of supply's show up in my basement, I am sensing a feeling of discomfort in my 13 year old son. I have tried not to make a big deal out of it and answered any questions he may have. However, I have been finding him wanting to read over my shoulder when I'm on the computer and turning up the radio when the news is on. I know when I was a teenager we were concerned over nuclear weapons and weather we would wake up to find our whole life changed. I recall not voicing this option but it disturbed me greatly. I was hoping that someone may have some advice on how to make my son feel more secure as the news of H5N1 shows up in our state.

Re: Childrens hidden fears of Bird Flu

When I began stockpiling, my 2 kids ages 12 & 13 said "dad, whats going on?"
    I said "nothing, dont worry about it"

Then i sat and thought about their vivid imaginations... i have always been honest with them so i confessed. I told them everything.

They know all about BF and know we have done almost all we can to survive.

They are perfectly ok with it. There are much more terrifying things - like monsters under the bed and school teachers.... an failing that next math test!!!!!

Comment

You know your son, only tell him what he can handle emotionally.

My suggestion would be to involve him, talk to him about your plans and tell him that you are preparing to keep your family safe. He may have some ideas that you didn't think of.

With my kids 13 & 8, I stressed that it probably wouldn't happen, but I wanted to be prepared anyway. Once they knew that we would be able to stay in the house in relative comfort they were not afraid anymore.
      "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

As parents, our greatest calling is to protect and nurture our children. My children are young, but the oldest, 6 1/2 is catching on. We add a few extra groceries, extra diapers and of course mask and hand antiseptic. One of the best things I think to do is teach them basic self-protection skills in a non-threatening way. Talk about what germs/viruses are, get a few books from the library or hop on the Internet. Talk about how viruses are really small and can be passed very easily. Teach them things that will help protect them, things that they have to be able to do for themselves, like good handwashing, covering there coughs, using tissue appropriately, not getting too close to friends who are sick, not sharing utensils, cups, or food at school. Teach them about symptoms to report to you, feeling more tired, feverish etc. This would just be start, maybe make it a family adventure, practice camping, limited water usage, diffent food preparations. I'll keep thinking on this one...

Comment

Explain what insurance does. Show him/her a bill from your auto insurance company and explain that while you may not ever be in a car accident, it is better to have insurance that will cover your families needs if it does happen. Then go on to explain other kinds of insurance in the language appropriate for the age and understanding- fire insurance, health insurance, and so on. Follow this by ways you think the insurance is helped by driving carefully, being careful to have smoke alarms in your homes, and living healthy lifestyles. When the children see that you are only adding a new kind of insurance to a lifestyle already packed with other kinds of insurance, it will lessen the impact.
          Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
          Thank you,
          Shannon Bennett

Comment

Very good suggestions so far. As a Mom to 3 little girls, I have struggled with this issue as well. Just last night, I read a post by Snowy with links to Peter Sandman's advice for family communication. Here is the link for anyone interested: http://www.psandman.com/gst2006.htm#nancy
            "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

I was fortunate an off to be very near my grand-mother and she told me;

My mother always told me, stock up things that get the bad stuff out, her mother family got struck by the pandemic of 1889-1890, it was quite tough in their villages and her mother got very impressed by this event.

When a surge of Thypho?d fever got around in 1916, she saw her mother gearing up in what then we could have called preps.

Garlic, Camphor, Oinions, Gin, cough syrup and food.
              When the Spanish Lady got near, they sort of SIP.

So I tell that to my kids, and they agree that it is worth, prepping but when are we gonna eat this stuff they say, they are ready to eat it.

Comment

Actually my biggest worry now with my kids is that they have probably shot their mouths off to their friends about the Costco in our basement!

I have told them to be quiet about it - but kids will be kids.
                At least they both know how to shoot now. AND wash their hands alot.

Comment

Involving children in discussions about armed conflict in defense of your family is not confidence building.

Goju - I am asking you for the last time to refrain from any discussions about weapons. There are many internet sites where you can vent.
                  Please use them.

There will be no more warnings.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the advice, it will be very helpful! Some very good suggestions, even for my younger children as well.

Comment

My son is 13 and knows plenty about it.He will ask ounce a day and has always been told the truth.haveing been through a couple of family tradegies ,i figure the truth is always best.He helps,knows plenty about it.He has a freind or two in school,one whose mother is a dr. and they are prepping also.I was glad to hear it and this told me he wouldnt be thought of as a nut.This also brings me to ask,what will all the children be told this fall?Im betting a note on preps and bird flu will be sent home the first day.Will other childrens parents have money to prep?will children be teased and told they will starve by others?I feel alot of children may not even know about bf,by the way i hear adults talk.If we are not up front with the children,how can they be expected to wash their hands every five mins?BF will be a social problem with kids,depending on whose parents are prepping and whose arent.Im betting kids will be asked by teachers if they're parents are prepping also.Or will they "keep that private"? just a few of my many questions on this topic.I think i will ask him not to say anything till the scool brings it up and then find out more about how others are getting ready or if their not.I dont think i want all his freinds from school dropping by if things turn for the worst.If there is time,i think schools should make it a public program,and try to encourage "all"families to start getting ready.
                      CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

The advice above on direct communications with our children has been good.
                        To better protect our children, we also need effective communications within our community.
                        Treyfish you bring up good points as we work through this process.
                        The government is telling the public to stockpile, yet we know that many people are not preparing and we know many people cannot afford to stockpile months worth of supplies. For those of us in urban areas, stockpiling is just one tool for use during the pandemic. Having supplies early on and the ability to avoid rush buying relieves a family of a great deal of stress and initial risk. However, our desired survival depends on the survival of our society which means we have to participate with society at large to keep functioning during an active pandemic. Folks who are active in preparedness have a head start in knowing about pandemic influenza and can help provide leadership in the community. Sine this thread is focused on our children, a natural connection for us would be to relate through the schools.
                        Our schools, health department and community has to understand we do not need to close all schools all at once. The decisions to close schools should be made on a risk benefit analysis on the actual situation in the community.
                        We need to encourage the schools to broaden the process of making that decision. This process is best done in the context of relationships built up over time. Thus we need to build on our existing school groups, parent groups (PTA, Scouts, Booster clubs) to engage in an ongoing dialog with preparedness at the community level based around the schools.
                        The school year is just now starting here. It is a good time to raise the subject (gently but persistently).
                        CR

Comment

I have been honest with my son to a point, but I do feel that children do think differently than an adult and the information does need to be age appropriate. My son who is older has recieved different information than my girls who are much younger. I have considered going to the school board to see what plans they have for informing children in our area. My sister lives in Ohio and they have already sent home two fliers, one in June and one during the summer months. I live in Michigan and the schools so far have said nothing publicly in our area. I do appreciate all the advice everyone has contributed to this thread, it will be of great help.

Comment

About School Districts and Planning: This past spring, there was a very brief news article in our local paper, offering reassurance to the public that our local district and county were well prepared for the potential pandemic. The picture showed 1 public health nurse and 2 school nurses ( 1 of which retired the following week) who were "coordinating" the response plan. The news article vaguely highlighted a paraphrased version of the pandemic.gov prep recommendations and concluded that the district was already prepared because they had plans in place for the seasonal flu and "Nuclear fallout" plans.

Thankfully, they did mention at least to tell kids to wash their hands more and stay home if they are sick (little good does that do since our public schools are often used as "sick child care sights" since so many parents don't or can't stay home with their sick kids. The district has deputized the school nurse meaning the 1 RN per 2 school to take care flu business. This is obviously a faulty and ineffective plan as they have much difficulty already attending to the vast responsibilities on their plates.

If I understand the general mortality statistics, the rate is approximately 50% and the greatest deatgs occur in the "otherwise healthy populations" like elementary-college-young adult age.

Where do you even start to educate leadership who have been fed such false statistics and false hopes?

Comment

Nurse -

1) Give them this website as a reference guide,

2) Have them read the Pandemic Planning Update from Sec. Levitt 6/30/06,
                              http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...andemic+update

3) Have them read Dr. Osterholm's interview.
                              http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...ight=osterholm

This should get a conversation started.

Comment

Working...
                              X