Power in the face of grid failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power in the face of grid failure

I just got a PM question about whether I'd recommend purchasing a generator now given recent developments. Thanks for asking the question "behind the scenes".

Snowy, LMonty and other preps contributors (and I will also be one...) maybe we need a dedicated question area in the preps section so we know what the new folks are wanting information on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's what I replied:

If a generator is part of what you need to carry out your long-term preps and you have a place to store it and some $ to buy it now, why not? Generators are good to keep frozen food frozen: 20 min every 2 days is what worked last January when we had a big storm here in norcal and had power out for 5 days. We shared this small lightweight model around the neighborhood with all the little old ladies who needed help with their freezers.

With respect to birdflu preps, our family is trying to cover the main projected needs as quickly as we can financially, so that we don't need to do a lot of running around at the last minute. We will run around to get extra gas at the last minute because gas has a 6 month "shelf life" -- a bit longer with additives. We have the gas cans ready to go...

Re: Power in the face of grid failure

Mellie - a generator may be needed to run wells for a small time every day or so. People can then store water in containers. For well use, you'd need to check the capacity of the generator - smaller ones can't power a well.

Then there's the question of fuel for the generator. That's why it's best to use the generator as little as possible.

Generator can also be used to power radio, TV, computer (if network is up), CB, shortwave, etc.

30 minutes per day of generator use could (simultaneously):

- get water for the neighborhood
    - power your freezer
    - zap things quick in the microwave
    - check your email
    - watch the network TV news
    - check with CB connected folks (on a schedule)
    - send shortwave messages to distant places (like HELP we need xxx)

I have an 79YO ladyfriend who is set up to do just the above - by herself.

I have a generator, purchased for construction, that I intend to have available primarily for running a well.
    "The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

also dont run the generator too much - attracts unwanted attention.

Comment

great idea, mellie! will do that now
        Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
        Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
        Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
        Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
        Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
        To weave it into fabric..
        Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
        All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

I would recommend to take a look at these kinds of products, wind generator and sun power.

Here is the link I have for my region (Qu?bec, Canada) I am sure there are distributors of those devices all around the world, I know that Scandinevia is well verse in the matter.

Another thing I have considered, if some of you have made artesian well and did not get any results this expense can become an investment in what we call geothermia.

Comment

Solar power - photovoltaics

I strongly believe in solar, wind and hydro.

Perhaps I can get someone I know to write in with info on a home system that's set up here in foggy coastal norcal with panels oriented to the west (because that was the orientation of his roof). He and his family are completely self sufficient. The success of his system in a foggy and rainy area of the US really makes me question why sunny areas like socal and the southwest are not using photovoltaics exclusively for their energy needs.

I believe this friend has also made up a small photovoltaic system that he took with him as he traveled across the US last summer -- camping with amenities... A smaller system might be more useful in this case.

That said, I'm sure there are more pressing preps for most people...

Alaska Denise, glad you're chiming in too. Necessity is the mother of invention when you live off the grid.

Gaudia and Snowy Owl, following every pandemic there have been reports of renaissance. Perhaps we'll have renaissance in the energy area following this pandemic.

Anyone thought of investing in and warehousing solar "commodities": photovoltaic panels, deep cycle batteries, inverters and the wiring rigs necessary for the systems. I've given it a thought or two... Now there would be a contribution to self-sustainability and reduced need for oil with all the implications on how we relate to the middle east.

Hydrogen fuel cells powering cars, another area. The equivalent of "gas stations" for hydrogen fuel cell powered cars???

Comment

Working...
            X