Solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar

Hi all, I'm trying to stay away from gas as a backup source. I have some handcrank stuff, solar oven and a small portable solar charger for computer/cellphones. I can also plug my small battery charger into that solar kit to recharge the smaller batteries - AA, etc.

So far the only thing I am concerned about is a sick room - if someone were sick, I see a need for a fan to both help keep them comfortable, and to provide a negative pressure room (vent outside). Our sick room will be upstairs with plenty of sunlight and is on a separate air system than the rest of our house. But as a downside it is very hot. On the upside, it is near the roof and I could possibly put panels up there and run power to the room.

I already have the fan/filter I plan to use (115v, .68/.75 amps) I wish I knew enough about solar to go buy a couple of panels/inverter/battery to power this thing. Any suggestions for kits? I am reading do it yourself stuff but I just can't grasp the technology (I admit, I'm one of those who has trouble programming the remote)

Re: Solar

"I wish I knew enough about solar to go buy a couple of panels/inverter/battery to power this thing."

Hi fab4,

I think it's no need for you to learn about to go buy, instead it would be enaugh to put on paper what devices you wan't to have on solar power, and for every device how many hours a day.

Beside the wroted device sign it's power - you find this on the rear, or the interior mark of the device, signed near a (W) sign.
    For light, also.

Then with this list go to the seller who will assemble the necessary minimal power of the device/battery, and other nedded components, and the bill.

Comment

fab4,

I'm, afraid it's going to require more than a battery and a couple of panels to power the fan/filter you described. At least, if you intend to run it 24 hrs a day.

I've written a basic tutorial on Solar power on my blog site. You might want to read it first, then follow the other two links, which get a little more technical.

BASIC PREPS : SOLAR POWER # 1666 No te: This is a repost from early last year, with a few additions and changes m ade since that ...

Additional reading:

Hope some of this helps.
      All medical discussions are for educational purposes. I am not a doctor, just a retired paramedic. Nothing I post should be construed as specific medical advice. If you have a medical problem, see your physician.

Comment

Thanks, this is very good, a lot clearer than other things I've tried to read on this. Dh and I need to sit down with this and see if it's something we can do.

I

Comment

"... require more than a battery and a couple of panels to power the fan/filter you described. At least, if you intend to run it 24 hrs a day."
          "the fan/filter I plan to use (115v, .68/.75 amps)"

If that means one fan/filter, and . means 0. (plus add ind.) than it seems not such a big surge.

Comment

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/us...8d58O51iU2vQaQ

New York Times
            By DAN FROSCH
            Published: June 27, 2008

Citing Need for Assessments, U.S. Freezes Solar Energy Projects

"DENVER — Faced with a surge in the number of proposed solar power plants, the federal government has placed a moratorium on new solar projects on public land until it studies their environmental impact, which is expected to take about two years.

The Bureau of Land Management says an extensive environmental study is needed to determine how large solar plants might affect millions of acres it oversees in six Western states — Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah."

Refer to source for complete article.
            We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

"a moratorium on new solar projects on public land until it studies their environmental impact ..."

I bet that their impact will be much, much, much minor than the Arctic drilling ...

Comment

Dyeing to Boost Solar Efficiency by 50%

source:
                Sign up for daily news updates from CleanTechnica on email. Or follow us on Google News!   MIT has perfected a dye technology that could change the solar world as we know it.   The most efficient form of solar technology today is (arguably) extreme concentrated photovoltaics, essentially solar panels ... [continued]

Written by Michelle Bennett
                Published on July 14th, 200813 CommentsPosted in products, solar energy, technology

"MIT has perfected a dye technology that could change the solar world as we know it."

"Thin coatings of organic dyes absorb sunlight and redirect favored wavelengths into a pane of glass. The light is aimed and concentrated towards the edge of the pane where small solar panels are located. The concentrated light allows the panels to produce the maximum possible amount of energy all day, every day without cooling systems or complex tracking mechanisms."

Three Reasons Why This Could Rock the Solar World:
                1) It’s Easy: The technology is neither complex or difficult to manufacture.....

2) Upgrade Existing Solar: This technology can be applied to existing photovoltaic panels to boost their efficiency by as much as 50% with minimal additional cost. Upgrading existing solar panels will not only boost their energy output, but shift their cost/energy ratios. That means that even older, more expensive solar installations could become more competitive with non-renewable energy sources.

3) It’s Coming Soon: MIT claims this technology could be ready for commerical production within three years. A company has already been founded to capitalize on the technology, and it won two prizes at MIT’s Enterpreneurship Competition, totaling $30,000.

Comment

#8, AC

Obviously by the new technologies solar energy sources became much more cheaper, to not mention that the sun lights are 100% free with 0% costs of the rays, and have 0% of direct polution side efects.

Busines would grab it on, or maybe ...

Comment

Aloha, Solar Power
                    7/8/2008 4:52:42 PM
                    By Madeline Hyden

"The state of Hawaii just passed a new law requiring all new homes to have solar water heaters installed starting in 2010. The bill, signed by Republican Governor Linda Lingle, will not allow building permits to be issued for homes that do not have solar water heaters."

For entire story:

Comment

Hawaii.

Now add solar cell panels for homes (for elementary el. consumption) also.

Comment

Friday, July 14, 2006
                        How To Build a Solar Generator
                        Affordable solar power using auto parts could make this electricity source far more available.
                        By Kevin Bullis

"The basic design of Orosz's solar generator system is simple: a parabolic trough..... focuses light on a pipe containing motor oil. The oil circulates through a heat exchanger, turning a refrigerant into steam, which drives a turbine that, in turn, drives a generator. "

snip.....

The design uses readily available parts and tools. For example, both the feed pump and steam turbine are actually power-steering pumps used in cars and trucks. To generate electricity, the team uses an alternator, which is not as efficient as an ordinary generator, but comes already designed to charge a battery, which reduces some of the complexity of the system. And, like power-steering pumps, alternators, including less-expensive reconditioned ones, are easy to come by.

Some of this reseach was funded by the World Bank. I called the WB and asked for a copy of the final paper and designs. The person I talked to there is researching this now.

What I like about this is that here solar electricity is being produced from materials readily avaiable in many parts of the world and WITHOUT expensive solar panels. Basically consentrated sunlight is used to heat water to produce steam that is used to turn a turbine/generator that creates the electicity. Having boiled water from the condenced steam is an added bonus.
                        -AC

Comment

Hi AC,

every idea can help in a case of stringent need, but frankly if you restrict the needed electricity power to few necessary devices powered only for short periods in diferent moments (class A small refrigerator, small radio/TV, small micro., a few light bulbs, vent.), the quantity of needed direct solar-el. cells would not be so expensive, if you live in an mostly sunshine environment.

An battery is needed to storidge, and to be on DC converted AC house power when it's available. It can be used the car/... one, but because of duty resistance it is much better to take one with solar dedicated performances.

Having such an multipart system with steam and a turbine is like you have a very little power plant, which have more items subjected to crashes, more control parts, the steam/turbo part, and have small output efectiveness - every energy conversion item take its part of vasted input energy.

There is no pandemic at the moment, and for the part of citizens who can afford to spend on it 1-2000 usd, it's better to not experiment, and purchase an tested minimalistic direct el. solar cell configuration, with switches, a battery, and an DC/AC converter.

Comment

Working...
                          X