Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are FluTrackers personally doing about the various political, social, economic, disease uncertainties - Fall 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are FluTrackers personally doing about the various political, social, economic, disease uncertainties - Fall 2014

I am the only member of my family who feels the need for preparedness. The rest think I'm totally insane. I guess my mother named me Cassandra prophetically. I am a stay at home mom in a family of 6, and therefore, I really don't have the budgetary discretion to allocate funds for prepping. I have advised Mr. Redcass that I will be starting to purchase extra quantities of canned goods, etc. during my shopping trips. My food needs are unique and challenging as my two youngest (3 and 8 mos) have a T cell mediated food protein induced enterocolitis. The list of forbidden foods is daunting: dairy, soy, mostly all grains including rice and oats, lentils and garbanzos. I will be sticking mostly to canned veggies and bulk millet for the boys and myself (since I breastfeed). I might also contemplate obtaining prescription formula for the baby just in case.
    I have a leftover stockpile of N95s from 2009, but my hibiclens has expired and I have to replenish my supply of disinfectants and nitrile gloves (those go fast in my house). Also will be beefing up my first aid and Emergency supplies as per the wonderful guides posted here on this forum (thank you). I have been entertaining the thought of some more robust PPE, but Mr. Redcass will just laugh at me.
    I was 4 mos pregnant in 2009 when h1n1 broke out. I immediately implemented strict "hand washing upon entry" protocols in my house. There were signs everywhere. I drew a "line in the sand" for when I would start practicing social distancing. When cases appeared in the states surrounding NJ, I ceased all non essential excursions outside my home. I shopped in the middle of the night with gloves, and always remained 6 ft away from others. I was the laughing stock of my family, but my son and I are alive today!
    That being said, I have been contemplating when to implement social distancing in light of the current situation. It is much harder to do when you have a child in kindergarten, you teach Sunday school, and you have an adult stepchild who works as a cashier in a convenience store! I am leaning towards distancing now rather than later. The current situation with the HCW in Cleveland is pushing my thoughts. Imagine working at the bridal salon; would you have thought an ebola carrier (unawares) would walk through your door? This week in Sunday school I had to help take care of a nose bleed, a real gusher at that. Some of the other teachers didn't even put on gloves. The whole scenario was an eye opener. Any thoughts on social distancing at this point? I would hate to pull my kids out of school prematurely, but kindergarten and preschool are mini hot zones under normal seasonal illness conditions! Has anyone else had any social distancing thoughts or ideas, as well as how to deal with "prep hostile" household and family members?

Comment

Re: What are FluTrackers personally doing about the various political, social, economic, disease uncertainties - Fall 2014

Originally posted by Redcass View Post
      I am the only member of my family who feels the need for preparedness. The rest think I'm totally insane.
      If Ebola continues to spread in the US, they may change their minds. I've seen some remarkable turnarounds recently. Kudos to you for what you did during the swine flu season.

Regarding PPE, there was a thread on FT recently about a woman in Africa who used multiple layers of garbage bags and gloves for protection. If you scroll back through the recent posts, you'll find it. Sorry, I'd link to it, but I'm replying on a phone and its hard to find and link to things. Partly because of that article, I've stepped up my purchase of garbage bags. Gloves and N95 masks is also good, of course, and since most big supermarkets carry them, it's not too hard to sneak them into the usual grocery purchases if you need to. More expensive to buy them that way, unfortunately, but if that's the only way to get them, I would do it.

Children in school are hard to deal with. Mine would come home with colds and ear infections within a week of school starting every year. If I had kids in school now, I wouldn't worry any more than usual unless I had some reason to think they could be exposed. In that case, I'd take them out and keep them at home. I realize that could be a problem for you if your husband doesn't agree, but I still think it's good advice. And if there is a reason to worry about exposure, he might well change his mind.

Social distancing isn't quite the same issue with Ebola as it is with flu, but with your childrens' medical issues, it's probably a good idea anyway. Still, as long as there is no known risk of exposure, I wouldn't stress out over it. My line in the sand would be a case in my immediate vicinity or near where a family member, like your stepson, regularly goes. Until something like that happens, I'd just be watchful and aware, and keep stocking up.
      Last edited by Lizw; October 17, 2014, 07:03 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Lizw View Post
        Children in school are hard to deal with. Mine would come home with colds and ear infections within a week of school starting every year.
        We've already had three bouts of illness since first week of school! The EV-D68 has me scared, but I have learned to let go a bit, and just hope they are practicing good hand hygiene.
        I too do all my posting with my phone. It takes forever!
        I saw the post about the trash bags, I should start stocking up! Thank you very much for your advice. The most wonderful thing about this site is the fact that everything is presented in light of actual fact and science -cautious awareness tempered with facts. Hysteria doesn't have a home here. More people need to see this. It is refreshing to see adults on a forum conduct themselves decently! It is quite frankly a sanctuary!

Comment

The most wonderful thing about this site is the fact that everything is presented in light of actual fact and science -cautious awareness tempered with facts. Hysteria doesn't have a home here. More people need to see this. It is refreshing to see adults on a forum conduct themselves decently! It is quite frankly a sanctuary!
          I so completely agree Redcass!

Comment

As do I. I have to reply every day not just to paranoia but also to outright deliberate deception and misguidance. This is where I come for relief I suspect that few of us have much idea what Sharon has to go through to keep it that way.

Comment

The most wonderful thing about this site is the fact that everything is presented in light of actual fact and science -cautious awareness tempered with facts. Hysteria doesn't have a home here. More people need to see this. It is refreshing to see adults on a forum conduct themselves decently! It is quite frankly a sanctuary!
              As do I. I have to reply every day not just to paranoia but also to outright deliberate deception and misguidance. This is where I come for relief I suspect that few of us have much idea what Sharon has to go through to keep it that way.
              Although I only recently joined I have been a sporadic reader for several years and now really appreciate the calm presentation of facts and info that are provided here.

If you read Sharons post about it now taking an email in order to join you realize that there has been a huge uptick in the number of visitors but you may not know that ProBoards bases it's fees on that. I'm fortunate enough to have a good income and decided that this sanctuary is worth helping to fund and I hope that some of you who value it will also consider helping to underwrite the cost via a small donation each month if you can.

ps: It was 25 years ago today that I realized the value of personal preparedness and the need for a disaster plan. I was at work at the Port of Oakland when the Loma Preita earthquake struck and my regular route home was blocked off due to the collapse of the Cypress structure and even my second choice was closed for inspection of an overpass so there was only 1 road out. It wasn't long before I began to learn what I needed to do/have in the event of a disaster and soon began to carry a backpack in my car with some basics and got my hillside home, which was located less than half a mile from the Hayward fault, as well preped as I could.

Comment

Thanks Redcass and Dallas this is exactly what we have tried to achieve.

-------------------------------

As far as what I am doing at this time:

1) I tried to get a flu shot the other day (since I am in the why not category) and I found out that my insurance company will not accept my usual card. They have sent out flu shot cards which I must use - or pay out of pocket $25.00. I have to wait for this card to arrive in the mail. Now - this is ridiculous! About $14,000 per year in premiums is paid by my family + company contribution to this insurance company for our coverage. And they are requiring us to use some new card specifically for a flu shot? A card we don't have yet? Ok - so was mad that I decided not to get the shot.

I am an older person, with a co-morbidity specifically proven to complicate a flu illness. A hospital stay for me will cost this insurance company many, many, thousands of dollars. A stupid business decision by them. I am waiting to calm down before I call them. The pharmacist gave me the particular code numbers to ask for so they can process the transaction without the flu card. I speculate that the insurance company is trying to save $25.00 per covered client by requiring the use of some not yet received card. Rant over.

2) I am really inspired by the trash bag lady in Liberia so I bought 2 large boxes of yard bags. It is a psychological response, but I feel better having them. I got a good deal at one of the large retailers. I bought some more hand gel since I had given all of mine away to relatives. I was surprised to see so many with the alcohol level at 62%. I bought the hand gel with 70%. I feel hand gel is a necessity these days. I have a large pump one at the front door. No one gets into my house without using it before they pass Go! lol I always carry hand gel in my purse and car.

3) Since no drugs, vitamins, etc. can help with ebola, I have only daily vitamins for regular use. I am not stocking up on anything except what I would need for a hurricane.

4) I would take a plane ride now. I am not afraid of getting ebola from a plane experience. BUT - I would be sure my clothes cover my entire body - long pants and sleeves. Also, HAND SANITIZER all the time. I might wear gloves. I always try to stand about 4 feet away from people. On the plane I probably would wear a mask- depending how tightly packed the plane is. I am anxiously waiting to see if any plane passengers get sick from the latest nurse who flew with a temperature.

Comment

On a scale analogous to DEFCON (5=peace, 1=war), I would place our current situation in the US at between 3 and 4. So, I am looking over my plans from the 2009 H1N1 pandemic and trying to set criteria for various steps.

For example:

Level 4: increase stocks of food and consumables as convenient, review contingency plans and supply lists

Level 3: acquire items from section 3 on supply lists including fuel reserves (propane, coleman fuel, gasoline, diesel)

Level 2: fill all portable fuel containers, obtain additional food and other commodities if available, install secondary internet connection (satellite internet), order large LiFePo4 battery packs and solar power gear, order items on contingency supplies list, distribute GMRS radios to local friends without them

Level 1: pray?

I am trying to come up with criteria for the various levels. For example:

4: Ebola inside US with infection of unprotected persons with direct contact (living in same house, health care workers of ebola patients, etc.)

3: Spread of Ebola inside US with infection of multiple protected persons (w/out known PPE failure such as needle stick) or those with limited contact

2: Spread of Ebola inside US to multiple persons with semi-direct contact (sitting next to on public carrier) or indication supply chains and transportation links will be disrupted

1: Spread of Ebola to multiple persons with only casual contact or collapse of heath care system

Comment

My partner & I admin'ed a forum for a few years. Not an easy job, even for a bitty board like we had. I can't imagine the headaches involved with running a forum with so much high-profile traffic and interest.

Thank you for keeping it all running on an even keel

Comment

I'm in the canning season for me - I can soups, pasta sauces, stock, etc. Pressure canning of course. Yesterday was ratatouille, beef ragu and a couple jars of cannellini beans to fill in the corners on the canner. I also have been using my foodsaver to buy meat in bulk, portion it, and freeze it. Today, I will be portioning out the leftovers of last night's lasagna and vacuum sealing it and into the freezer it goes. So we'll have more convenience foods available.

Another thing to consider is how to heat your foods in case of power outage. Yeah, many you can eat cold but for morale, warm food in winter is far better. I bought an indoor rated butane burner - one I can use right on a tabletop. I can cook on it safely indoors, so that makes me happy. I just need to pick up some more butane canisters so I have them available in case of need.

Just a reminder to all, as someone mentioned above, you may need to keep your house warm this winter. Please consider what safe methods you can use, and don't succumb to the temptation to bring in outdoor grills, campstoves, outdoor heaters. Get something rated for indoors that won't be putting out carbon monoxide! I ordered a Mr Buddy Indoor Heater and shipped it to my daughter in Montana because I didn't want her to get cold if the power is out in her apartment.

Nice to have options. As I told my daughter, I don't expect more than a couple hundred cases of ebola in the US, but I don't want anyone in my family to be one of those cases.

Comment

I moved the rest of the new posts on this thread to a new thread because they are general preparedness in nature and this thread is about what FT members are doing now, or not, in particular response to the current events (outside of regular preparedness efforts):

Emergency Preparedness Ideas - 2014

Comment

This is a nice description of what I am doing, starting a little more than 2 years ago.

Some quotes:

Dec 9, 2014

Build Your Anti-Viral, Flu-Fighting Primal Microbiota

With the 2014-2015 flu vaccine being effective in less than 50% of cases, it?s even more important for medical providers to understand and support the body?s innate way of defeating viruses. [Granted, from an evolutionary point of view, it is important that we get sick occasionally. But getting sick occasionally doesn?t have to mean unnecessary suffering.]

Our gut microbiota is perhaps one of our most primal features, having co-evolved with us for at least 800 million years. In this symbiotic relationship, while we provide them a warm home and good food, they benefit us by stimulating a number of processes that support digestive, immune, and nervous system function.
                          Why You Can?t Rely On Just Taking a Probiotic?

Although probiotics are clinically useful, supporting your individual microbiome isn?t as easy as taking a supplement.
                          How to Build a Primal Microbiome

For anyone?s individual microbiome to confer the many immune, digestive, and nervous system benefits they do, microbes must be supported in the digestive environment they evolved to be in.

A paleo-ancestral diet, low in carbohydrates and high in good quality fat and protein promotes proper microbial diversity and abundant quantities of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacter species, naturally, without the use of probiotics (Turnbaugh, et al., 2009) (McAllen, et al., 2014).

Additionally, for the duration of our existence, humans re-inoculated their digestive tracts with fermented food, not probiotic supplements. In contrast to probiotic supplements, fermented food is more likely to affect all three of the microbial genetic pathways, mentioned above.
                          More: Primal Docs
                          ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
                          Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

More about Ancestral foods http://humanfoodproject.com/

Comment

I did not get the seasonal flu vaccine this year because 1) my insurance company who is paid 14k+ a year to cover my family made it difficult to pay for the $25.00 shot. I have never received the extra special flu shot card from the insurance company that I need. 2) since October when I tried to get the shot it is developing that the predominant strain is H3N2 and the shot is mostly a miss for this strain.

I am not giving medical advice. This is my personal experience.

Comment

But gert, if that was true then why would indigenous people in remote areas always be wiped out by new germs, like flu and measles etc? They would be eating non-refined, natural foods.

Comment

Working...
                                X