Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NZ - 100 health staff catch swine flu - 1 nurse dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NZ - 100 health staff catch swine flu - 1 nurse dead

    At least 100 staff at Capital and Coast District Health Board have caught swine flu.
    The disclosure comes as health staff go on "red alert" after the death of a nurse from the highly contagious virus. The woman, 39, is believed to have worked in Hutt Hospital's children's ward. She died of a rare complication on Monday after 11 days in intensive care.
    The health board said yesterday that 100 out of 4500 staff in the Wellington region had tested positive for H1N1, about the same number calling in sick as at this time last year. The board set up a phone line for staff to call when off work sick, and used it to gather data on whether they had flu symptoms.
    Craig Jenkins, from the Nurses Organisation which represents more than 42,000 workers, said the death was a "red alert" for others in the industry. "Nurses have been in contact with H1N1 on the frontline, some have contracted H1N1."
    The hospital gave staff with symptoms the option of taking Tamiflu, he said.
    Public health deputy director Darren Hunt said Tamiflu stocks were not being used as a precaution dose for healthcare workers but to treat those suffering from illness.
    By yesterday, New Zealand had 2797 confirmed cases of of swine flu, and 13 people had died.



  • #2
    Re: NZ - 100 health staff catch swine flu


    Health worker dies from swine flu (Source: ONE News)

    ONE News

    Swine flu is believed to have claimed New Zealand's first frontline health worker.

    Hutt District Health Board (DHB) confirmed on Thursday that a 39-year-old woman, who died of the virus in Wellington Hospital, on Monday worked at Hutt Hospital, The Dominion Post reported.

    The woman, believed to have been a nurse in a children's ward, is one of 13 confirmed to have died from the virus in New Zealand although the chief coroner is investigating another 20 suspected deaths from the virus.

    The woman died from a rare complication on Monday after 11 days in intensive care.

    She had suffered a miscarriage within the previous two months, but it was not known whether she had the virus at the time she miscarried.


    Hutt Valley DHB chief operating officer Jill Lane said swine flu was "highly prevalent" in the Hutt Valley and the greater Wellington region, and it was impossible to know whether the health worker had contracted the virus in the hospital or somewhere in the community.

    The Ministry of Health has said pregnant women may be among the first in line to be offered the swine flu vaccine after it was found they are four times more likely to be admitted to hospital than other sufferers of the virus.
    Advertisement

    Director of public health Dr Mark Jacobs said the Health Ministry's advice for pregnant women had been updated to stress that they should seek early medical advice if they were worried about flu symptoms.

    New Zealand is set to get an initial shipment of 300,000 doses of the vaccine, enough for 150,000 people.

    Initially, it was only to be offered only to frontline health staff and emergency personnel but Jacobs said the priority groups for early vaccination would be reviewed in response to emerging evidence.

    The ministry has just aired the first of five television and radio ads as part of its pandemic influenza (H1N1) offensive.

    Ministry of Health chief advisor Dr Sandy Dawson said the ads stressed the need to limit the spread of swine flu by washing hands, covering coughs and sneezes, and staying home from work or school if unwell.

    "The ministry continues to concentrate on making sure good advice about dealing with swine flu reaches the public," Dawson said.

    People with flu symptoms should seek advice from Healthline or a GP.

    Meanwhile a Christchurch man has died from a leg infection after being sent home with Tamiflu by doctors at a swine flu centre.

    Minh Que Tran, 44, died of septicaemia cellulitis in his right leg within minutes of arriving at Christchurch Hospital on July 22, The New Zealand Herald reported.

    He had become ill about four days earlier, but believing it to be the flu, sought treatment at a central-city swine flu drop-in centre.

    Tran, who moved to New Zealand during the Vietnam war, went to the centre three times in the days leading up to his death.

    He was sent home each time - even after he complained of agonising pain in his right leg on the morning of his death, his family said.

    Virology results have since confirmed he did not have swine flu.

    He leaves behind a widow and two daughters aged nine and 14.

    Tran's nephew Dan Lai said he should never have been sent home from the flu centre the day he died.

    Swine flu is believed to have claimed the country's first frontline health worker. Hutt District Health Board (DHB) confirmed yesterday that a 39...




    Wow, that 8 year old boy became seriously ill on wednesday and was not hospitalized until friday!?! I wonder if swifter intervention could have saved him. I thi...

    Comment

    Working...
    X