No announcement yet.

Queensland: Five people contract mystery illness after cleaning up after floods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensland: Five people contract mystery illness after cleaning up after floods

FIVE patients are being treated in Queensland hospitals for a mystery infectious disease believed to be flood-related.
    The news comes as concern mounts for thousands of people cleaning up after the floods and exposing themselves to bacteria and viruses.

Queensland Health has confirmed the patients have been tested for a range of diseases, including melioidosis and some flaviviruses such as kunjin virus and encephalitis.

One of the patients was transported to Brisbane after he became seriously ill.

Melioidosis is an infectious disease caused by a bacteria found in soil, mud and water and is brought out by intense rainfall. It can be fatal or cause loss of limbs.

People become infected through a break in the skin or inhaling the bacterium presenting initially with a fever, cough and chest pain that can develop into pneumonia.

Usually melioidosis occurs only in tropical climates but the last case in Brisbane was after the 1974 floods.

Drug treatments for melioidosis have been given to some of the five patients, of whom four are in Rockhampton and one is being treated in Brisbane after visiting Rockhampton.

"We have five cases of people who were involved in the floods in the Rockhampton, Theodore, Moura area who have developed infections of some sort," Queensland's Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said yesterday.

"We don't know what it is, we are still waiting on results from those tests."

Dr Young said doctors were "doing a whole herd of tests" to diagnose the disease.

She said she was extremely concerned about infection after seeing many people walking in flood waters and mud without proper protection.

"I am worried about people getting staphylococcal infections," she said. "Staph is in the water. If people can avoid going into it, they should.

"People will get cuts from debris and they will have staph and strep infections because of the bacteria in the water."

The warning came as Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd was treated in hospital for a foot infection yesterday. A spokesman said Mr Rudd suffered a minor abrasion while helping out in the floods, which later became infected.

Federal Opposition spokesman on regional health services, Andrew Laming, yesterday criticised Queensland Health for its "slow response" and "misinformation" regarding the flood emergency.

Dr Laming said Queensland Health had been providing conflicting advice to people since December 29.

"The public health message at this point has been inadequate. If it turns out we have significant bacterial infections then this needs to be managed better," he said.

Meanwhile, a warning has been issued to GPs by their peak body that up to 70 per cent of people associated with Queensland floods are expected to become ill either physically or mentally.

Re: Queensland: Five people contract mystery illness after cleaning up after floods

..Four tested for flood-related illness by Janelle Miles From: The Courier-Mail January 15, 2011 12:00AM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
    Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these? CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER: Queensland's chief health officer Jeannette Young has warned of the post-floods disease risk. Source: The Courier-Mail
    FOUR people are being tested for flood-related infections as authorities renew warnings about the potential for serious illnesses to develop after Queensland's worst natural disaster in history.
    Although Queensland Health says hospitals have reported no significant increase in patient numbers during the flood crisis so far, the department is waiting the results of tests on four people from Theodore, Moura and Brisbane who have complained of fevers and muscle aches.

"Any concerns about outbtreaks of illness during this flood event will be taken seriously by Queensland Health and investigated," a QH spokesman said.

The news follows warnings by Queensland chief health officer Jeannette Young and the Australian Medical Association about the high risk of infections following the tragedy.

AMA Queensland president Gino Pecoraro said people from flood-affected areas should discuss the need for a tetanus booster with their generationl practitioners.

"We anticipate the number of patients with infections to swell as food, water and sanitation continue to be compromised," he said.

Dr Young renewed warnings for people to stay out of floodwaters, if possible.

People are particularly at risk if they swallow floodwater or if a cut comes into contact with it.

"Swimming in floodwater is not a good idea," Dr Young said.

"If you then swallow the water you can get gastroenteritis from that.

"There'll be dead animals in it ... there could well be sewage. It's really dirty stuff."

Dr Young said people should wear boots if they needed to wade through floodwaters and if they cut or scratched themselves, they should ensure they disinfected the wound and covered it with a waterproof dressing.

"If it gets red and inflamed, they should get medical attention," she said.

Boiled water alerts have been issued for 26 flood-ravaged communities in the state's southeast including Marburg, Fernvale, Minden, Lowood, Brightview, Coolana, Helenvale Estate, Tarampa, Vernor, Kensington Grove, Regency Downs, Hatton Vale, Plainlands, Laidley, Gatton, Forest Hill, Glenmore Grove, Withcott, Murphys Creek, Lockyer, Tabletop, Postmans Ridge, Helidon, Grantham, Lockrose and Placid Hills.

Although town water is cut off to some residents following damage to water infrastructure, a Queensland Urban Utilities spokeswoman said others in the Lockyer Valley and Somerset regions were still able to access tap water, but it should be boiled for three minutes before use.

She said bottled water had been airlifted to areas cut off by floods and could be collected from the Withcott State School, Minden State School, the Gatton Indoor Sports Centre, the Fernvale Futures Complex and Information Centre and the Laidley Council Depot.

Dr Pecoraro said although many general practitioners were closed due to flooding, Family Care Medical Services - the after-hours home visiting service - was operating in most areas.

Patients of subscribing GPs who wished to book a home visit, should phone 13 SICK.

But he said in emergencies people should call triple-0.

Comment

Re: Queensland: Five people contract mystery illness after cleaning up after floods

An earlier article mentioning several possible diseases that could result from the flooding; the symptoms above are too vague to hazard a guess as to which one this is.

QUEENSLANDERS are at high risk of deadly disease outbreaks in coming weeks as mosquito populations boom and dangerous bacteria proliferate, health experts warn.

QUEENSLANDERS are at high risk of deadly disease outbreaks in coming weeks as mosquito populations boom and dangerous bacteria proliferate, health experts warn.

The Queensland Department of Health is urging residents to protect themselves against mosquitoes and potentially contaminated drinking water.

It said yesterday there was increased risk of wound infections, dermatitis, conjunctivitis, and ear, nose and throat infections from polluted water. And there was a possibility of melioidosis, a disease caused by bacteria in soil, and leptospirosis, a serious illness caused by bacteria in animal urine.

Health warning ... residents survey flood damage in Ipswich, where hospitals have cancelled elective surgery. Photo: Glenn Hunt

It advised residents in Gayndah, Mundubbera, Atkinson Dam, Somerset Dam, Toowoomba, Condamine and Dalby to boil drinking water.

The warnings came as the floods forced hospitals in Toowoomba, Ipswich, Caboolture, Gympie and Nambour to cancel elective surgery and other services yesterday.

The vice-president of the Australian Medical Association, Steve Hambleton, said there was increasing pressure on medical services as nursing homes were being evacuated and hospitals had become inaccessible.

''I just tried to get a patient into a private hospital and it wasn't accepting any patients because it was basically an island next to the river,'' Dr Hambleton said last night.

Tony McMichael, of the Australian National University Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, said increasing numbers of mosquitoes breeding in the warm, wet conditions could cause fresh outbreaks of dengue fever and Ross River virus in coming weeks. Murray River encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease with a 10 per cent to 20 per cent mortality rate, could also emerge.

Professor McMichael said dangerous industrial, agricultural and domestic chemicals conveyed in floodwater might also be a problem if people accidentally inhaled them or got them in their eyes.

''There's a pretty unholy mix of potential microbial and chemical contamination,'' he said.

Comment

Man being treated for flood-related disease
        Posted Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22am AEDT

A central Queensland man says he is among four people from Theodore, west of Bundaberg in southern Queensland, hospitalised with flood-related infections.

Trevor Breadley says he became ill after walking through floodwaters.

He says his experience highlights the dangers of floodwaters.

"I'd like to warn people not to go in flood water unnecessarily - that's how I got this bug," he said.

"Doctors are fighting frantically trying to find a name on it and a cure for it - it's some soil-borne, water-carrying infection."

Comment

A portal of daily newspapers covering Philippine news headlines, business, lifestyle, advertisement, sports and entertainment. Also delivers Manila and Cebu news.

Infectious risks haunt flooded Queensland
          (philstar.com) Updated January 16, 2011 11:23 PM Comments (0)

BRISBANE (Xinhua) -- A couple of people were being tested for possible flood-related infections, Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said today, reminding of the risks of a possible infectious breakout in the wake of the flood.

Bligh said the suspected cases occurred in the southern Queensland town of Theodore and the tests were precautionary.

She said dead animals, rotten food and broken chemical bottles had been found among the debris being cleaned up after the floods, warning that people ought to be careful when cleaning up.

Bligh also noted that there's no absolute confirmed evidence that it has anything to do with floodwaters. "We are waiting on tests on what they may be suffering from," Bligh told reporters.

As a preventative measure, medical staff were in place to offer free tetanus injections for volunteers. Brisbane Mayor Campbell Newman said free vaccinations were available to all volunteers because of the risk of diseases that were harbored in floodwaters. He said about 14 trained staff had issued more than 600 vaccinations across the four volunteer meeting points.

In inundated communities of Brisbane, many houses remained deep in catchment which began to ferment, diffusing smelly air.

"This water is toxic and if you have a cut or a scratch and this water gets into it then you are at serious risk of infection, " Bligh said.

She also said there is never too much stress upon danger associated with the massive clean-up and the need for volunteers to wear protective clothing and to be vaccinated against tetanus.

Comment

Mystery illness floors farmer
            Emma Mcbryde | 18th January 2011

Andy Cooper recovers in Hillcrest Hospital from possible flood related illness. Post Fitzroy River flood.

Sharyn O'Neill
            Today will be Andy Cooper's eighth day in Rockhampton's Hillcrest Hospital and doctors are still working to diagnose the mystery disease that is attacking his heart and liver.

Andy said doctors had told him they believed he caught his illness in the floods.

Andy's Fitzroy Turf farm was one of many Gracemere properties inundated with water during the flood.

While working at the farm he was wading through murky floodwater when he splashed himself in the eye.

?I knew I was in trouble when it happened, I just thought of something Leah (Andy's wife) had told me about her friend's husband who got something in his eye in the '91 flood (and became seriously affected),? Andy said.

By the next morning Andy began to feel strange behind his eyes, and on the Sunday he was suffering dreadful pains down his spine.

?I'd never want anyone to have this, I thought I wouldn't be here the next day if I didn't do something,? he said.

Within an hour of seeing a Gracemere doctor Andy went to hospital.

?The doctor said they had to get me out of here now,? Andy said.

?I had a really bad fever, it was so bad I needed four blankets on the double bed I was sleeping on and I was still cold.

?I woke up on Sunday night and the entire bed was saturated, I thought for a bed to be that wet you'd have to have lost two to three litres of water.?

Andy's symptoms rapidly became more severe until he could barely walk.

But if ever there was a glass-half-full man Andy would be it.

?I'm getting better, I just want to go home. I miss my family,? he said.

It is believed several other people have been treated at Rockhampton hospitals for flood-related illness.

A Queensland Health spokesman said it was moving quickly to identify the cause of the illness in patients admitted to Rockhampton Hospital, but in the meantime they were all making a good recovery from the fever associated with their illness.

Hillcrest Hospital declined to comment.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young confirmed yesterday there had been no cases of the disease melioidosis diagnosed in south-east or Central Queensland related to the flooding.

?Any concerns about outbreaks of illness during this flood event will be taken seriously by Queensland Health and investigated,? she said. ?Generally our hospitals and health facilities have seen no significant rise in presentations.?

Flood health tips

Always wear covered shoes, indoors and out, while cleaning up.

Be aware that muddy surfaces can be extremely slippery. Good shoes can help, but also consider using a walking pole or smooth piece of timber.

Clean and disinfect all wounds and keep them covered with waterproof dressings.

If you are not fully vaccinated or you have not had a tetanus booster dose in the previous five years, seek medical attention.

Cover your skin with long sleeves and long pants and apply insect repellant often.

Empty containers and other items holding water around your home often.

Watch out for snakes and spiders.

Wear sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses while working outdoors.

Wash hands with soap and water after touching flood water and mud, going to the toilet and before eating or making food.

Comment

Re: Queensland: Five people contract leptospirosis after cleaning up after floods

Confirmed as leptospirosis below:

Comment

Re: Queensland: Five people contract leptospirosis after cleaning up after floods

Bacterial infection hits 4 locals
                21st January 2011

FOUR people who were in flood-ravaged Theodore in the past few weeks have been confirmed to have a severe bacterial infection.

Theodore Dr Bruce Chater said there were four confirmed and one suspected case of Leptospirosis.

?I haven?t seen a case of Leptospirosis in 20 years,? said the doctor who has been servicing the community since 1981.

?Probably because it?s been dry for 20 years.

?In this case, it was very severe.?

Dr Chater said one person had been in Theodore just after the floods and had gone back to Brisbane and presented to health professionals in the state?s capital.

He said another person was transferred to Brisbane while two people were treated in Moura Hospital.

Dr Chater said there were concerns for the patients and what people might get it.

He said there were no more concerns in the community as the mud had now dried.

Dr Chater said people started presenting with symptoms the day after the community was allowed back into Theodore.

?We came back on the Friday and they started getting sick on the Saturday,? he said.

The infection is commonly transmitted to humans by allowing water that has been contaminated by animal urine to come in contact with unhealed breaks in the skin, the eyes, or with the mucous membranes.

Comment

Working...
                X