Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sydney - Increase in patients presenting to ER with unseasonal respiratory illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney - Increase in patients presenting to ER with unseasonal respiratory illness

Nasty virus taking Sydney people down
    Dr Gordian Fulde From: The Daily Telegraph March 15, 2010 12:00AM SYDNEYSIDERS are being hit by a virus that is not only taking down people but also hospital staff.
    It is an unseasonal virus, not the swine flu, that is really nasty and the emergency department has been flooded by people coming in sick with it

It has caused some people, even young ones, to get pneumonia.

This is not the right time of the year but it is amazing how it is spreading. It seems to be attacking the head so people feel like they are getting the flu.

They will have a nasty cough and we are seeing a lot of sore throats and infections that are so severe we have to admit people.

Some patients have had throats so swollen they can't swallow or breath properly and even their neck is swollen.

In stark contrast to the past few weekends, Sydney seems to have calmed down and really stopped partying.

However there will still be silly people around every weekend who will perhaps drink too much or try stupid things.

Over Friday and Saturday nights there were a few people, in my opinion, who were very lucky they did not injure themselves more seriously.

We saw a lot of women, younger women, who had come to grief in their high heels.

These heels are not getting any shorter and women are injuring themselves.

One woman fell face forwards, breaking her jaw and causing a nasty cut on her face.

It's the younger girls who maybe haven't learned how to balance in those silly heels.

In the end the high heels are providing no shortages of fractures and sprained ankles in our emergency department.

On Friday we had an incident that proved that Sydney can still be silly.

Some guys decided it would be fun to play a joke on their friend and throw him in the air before spear-tackling him to the ground.

He now has multiple broken bones in his arm and is very lucky he wasn't hurt more.

A man in his 50s who had enjoyed a few too many drinks tripped out of a club and caught his ankle on something so sharp that it sliced right through his achilles heel.

He will now need an operation.

On a slightly more sombre note - but something that is very important - I want to remind Sydneysiders to get to know their neighbours.

As a part of my job, I often have to sign the death certificates for people who are deceased before they arrive at emergency.

Sometimes they are usually older people who have died alone and who have not been found for a few days.

It really makes you think about life and also loneliness.

Maybe these people were too afraid to ask for help or perhaps they didn't any have family.

With the increasing ageing population, I would like people to take some time to think about this.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Nasty virus taking Sydney people down

This article is odd. I can't find a 2nd article to corroberate it.

Comment

Re: Australia - Nasty virus taking Sydney people down

Dr Gordion Fulde

Known as the father of Emergency Medicine in Australia, Dr Gordian Fulde is the longest Director of an Emergency Department in a major hospital in Australia. For 27 years he's been head of the department of Emergency Medicine at St. Vincent's Hospital, one of the largest teaching hospitals in Sydney. He is the son of two doctors, his wife is a doctor and both his daughters are both studying to be doctors. You could say it's in his blood.

ABC Asia is your trusted source for news, conversations, and culture with a uniquely Australian perspective.

Looks like Dr Fulde would be the one responsible for generating any reports going up the chain.
      Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

# 4431   Dr. Gordian Fulde is the head of the Emergency Department at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, Australia and wri...

Sunday, March 14, 2010
        Sydney ERs Report `Nasty Virus?

# 4431

Dr. Gordian Fulde is the head of the Emergency Department at St. Vincent?s Hospital in Sydney, Australia and writes a column for the Daily Telegraph.

This morning, his column mentions an influx of patients into local Emergency Rooms with a nasty respiratory virus, some of whom are developing pneumonia
        . This appears to be an `off season? virus, as the flu season `down under? is still several months away.

The identity of this virus isn?t stated, other than the belief that it isn?t the novel H1N1 swine flu. As we?ve discussed in the past (see ILI?s Aren?t Always The Flu) there are a lot of different viruses out there capable of causing `flu-like? symptoms.

First the report, then a few comments.

Dr Gordian Fulde
        March 15, 2010 12:00AM

SYDNEYSIDERS are being hit by a virus that is not only taking down people but also hospital staff.

It is an unseasonal virus, not the swine flu, that is really nasty and the emergency department has been flooded by people coming in sick with it.

It has caused some people, even young ones, to get pneumonia.

This is not the right time of the year but it is amazing how it is spreading. It seems to be attacking the head so people feel like they are getting the flu.

They will have a nasty cough and we are seeing a lot of sore throats and infections that are so severe we have to admit people.

Some patients have had throats so swollen they can't swallow or breath properly and even their neck is swollen.

Last fall we saw similar reports coming out of Emergency Rooms here in the United States, and it was eventually determined that a particularly nasty Rhinovirus was to blame.

I blogged about it several times, including When The `Flu? Isn?t The Flu, and Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor of Reuters wrote about it here:

Not just swine flu - new cold virus may lurk, too
        Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24pm EST

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Runny nose, fever, cough, even pneumonia -- the symptoms sound like swine flu but children hospitalized at one U.S. hospital in fact had a rhinovirus, better known as a common cold virus, doctors said on Tuesday.

Hundreds of children treated at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia had a rhinovirus, and federal health investigators are trying to find out if it was a new strain, and if this is going on elsewhere in the country.

?What began to happen in early September is we started seeing more children coming to our emergency room with significant respiratory illness," said Dr. Susan Coffin, medical director of infection control and prevention at the hospital.

(Continue. . .)

None of which is to suggest that what the residents of Sydney are seeing is the same Rhinovirus (although it might be). There are, quite frankly, a lot of plausible candidates.

Including some we?ve probably not identified.

The take home message here is, whatever the cause, good respiratory etiquette remains important, even if the pandemic virus is waning in your community.

Covering your coughs, washing your hands, and staying home when you are sick are good ideas all of the time.

Not just during a pandemic. And not just during flu season, either.

Posted by Michael Coston at 10:18 AM
        Labels: Australia, ILI, Prevention

Comment

This is the summary on the main news page for the article in post #1.

Dr Gordian Fulde SYDNEYSIDERS are being hit by a pneumonia- causing virus. The emergency department has been flooded by people coming in sick with it over the weekend.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is legitimate to post (but it was already on the internet), but I found this contact number if anyone wants to contact him to find out more (results of tests, etc.) about this outbreak.

Assoc Prof Gordian Fulde 02 8382 2040 / 0419 718 328

Comment

That Fulde article is like, huh?

OK, some Ozzies are getting sick. That's probably worth noting, especially since they are headed back to school and into their flu season. But does Fulde know the pathogen is a virus, or is that speculation? "Taking people down" is obviously fear mongering. Are there any fatalities?

He also said: ". . . it sliced right through his achilles heel."

There is no anatomical structure called an "achilles heel". The anatomical term is "Achilles tendon". Any MD who ever passed a year 1 anatomy class would know that. An "Achilles heel" is a metaphor for a fatal defect.

Very suspect article.

Comment

The link below is to the obituary of a (79-year-old) man who died of pneumonia at that hospital on March 9.

Comment

I sent an email to an Australian source but it was already late evening there. This person will make some inquiries.

At this time it is 5:38 am there. Too early to call.

Comment

School term in NSW is Wednesday, 27 January 2010 - Thursday, 01 April 2010

Comment

This is the spokesperson for the hospital, for any FT members in that area who wish to try to track this down.

Media enquiries should be directed to:

David Faktor
                      Public Affairs and Communications Manager
                      T 02 8382 2866

Comment

I just spoke to Dr. Fulde's office and they are going to ask him to update us on the situation. I will post again when I hear back.

Comment

I did not receive any information via email overnight.

Comment

This is a comment on the original editorial. Contrary to the summary given in yesterday's telegraph, this didn't start over the weekend.

Primmy of Sydney Posted at 1:16 PM March 15, 2010
                            Had the virus in Jan/Feb. Could not breath, literally, kept coughing without being able to breath in. And it lasted for 4 weeks. Truly horrible. Get help, you will need it.

Comment

I plan on calling back tonight which is their morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X