Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blocking of Exchange Proteins Directly Activated by cAMP (Epac) Leads to Reduced Replication of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking of Exchange Proteins Directly Activated by cAMP (Epac) Leads to Reduced Replication of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus

Blocking of Exchange Proteins Directly Activated by cAMP (Epac) Leads to Reduced Replication of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus

1. Xinrong Tao1,
    2. Feng Mei2,
    3. Anurodh Agrawal1,
    4. Clarence J. Peters1,3,5,6,
    5. Thomas G. Ksiazek3,4,5,6,
    6. Xiaodong Cheng2* and
    7. Chien-Te K. Tseng1,3,5,6*

+ Author Affiliations
    1. <ADDRESS>Departments of Microbiology and Immunology<SUP>1</SUP></ADDRESS>
    2. <ADDRESS>Pharmacology and Toxicology<SUP>2</SUP></ADDRESS>
    3. <ADDRESS>Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Disease<SUP>3</SUP></ADDRESS>
    4. <ADDRESS>Pathology<SUP>4</SUP></ADDRESS>
    5. <ADDRESS>Sealy Center for Vaccine Development<SUP>5</SUP></ADDRESS>
    6. <ADDRESS>Center for Tropical Diseases<SUP>6</SUP>, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, 77555 </ADDRESS>

ABSTRACT

The outbreak of MERS-CoV infection and diseases represents a potential threat for worldwide spread and requires development of effective therapeutic strategies. In this study, we revealed a novel positive function of an exchange protein directly activated by cAMP-1 (Epac-1) on MERS-CoV replication. Specifically, we have shown that Epac-specific inhibitor treatment or silencing Epac1 gene expression rendered cells resistant to viral infection. We believe Epac-1 inhibitors deserve further study as potential therapeutic agents for MERS-CoV infection.

Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett
Working...
X