• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFA, DOH issues MERS-COV advisory for Filipinos in the Middle East

Source: http://news.pia.gov.ph/index.php?article=231398070148

DFA, DOH issues MERS-COV advisory for Filipinos in the Middle East
    Tuesday 22nd of April 2014
    3 1 0 0 0

PASAY CITY, April 22 (PIA)--The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of Health (DOH) released an advisory for Filipinos staying and residing in the Middle East, especially in the United Arab Emirates and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, against the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome ? Corona Virus (MERS-CoV).

According to DFA, the World Health Organization has not declared any outbreak or epidemic of MERS-CoV in the Middle East and there are no travel restrictions to and from the Arabian Peninsula.

But despite these, the DFA and DOH are encouraging Filipinos in the Middle East to practice the precautions below for their own protection:

1. Practice proper hand hygiene always, by washing your hands with soap or hand rubs with alcohol before and after eating; before and after handling, cooking and preparing food; after coughing, sneezing and using the toilets; and before and before and after touching animals.

2. Practice proper cough etiquette by covering your mouth and nose while sneezing or coughing. Use a facial tissue when coughing or sneezing and cover your mouth and nose with it. Dispose the tissue in a waste basket.

3. Avoid contact with farm and domesticated animals, including camels.

4. Avoid contact with sick or infected with MERS-CoV. If you have respiratory illness, stay home and wear a surgical mask to protect your family members.

5. If you are a health worker, strictly follow infection control protocols in your work.

6. Visit your doctor, a hospital or health facility immediately if symptoms of MERS-CoV manifest itself, including, persistent coughing, and other.

7. If you were in close contact with a confirmed MERS-CoV patient, comply with local health regulations and postpone any trip abroad until after test results are negative.

8. Practice healthy habits such as regular exercise, balance3d and nutritional diet, and adequate sleep of at least 8 hours, as it would help strengthen the body?s immunity.

The DFA and DOH also advised Filipinos in the Middle East not to panic and be taken in by false claims and rumours. One rumour alleges that ?UAE health authorities? have warned people to stay away for 72 hours from places such as malls, beaches hospitals, parks, and other locations that are believed to be ?hotspots for the new killing virus.? The Health Authority of Abu Dhabi (HAAD) subsequently denied issuing this statement.

To date, the World Health Organization (WHO) has recorded 243 confirmed cases of MERS-CoV worldwide, including 93 deaths since March, 2012.

There is no vaccine for the virus, and it source is not yet known, although camels and bats have been pointed as possible sources. (DFA/RJB/SDL/PIA-NCR)

- See more at: http://news.pia.gov.ph/index.php?art....piFNPfxe.dpuf

Re: DFA, DOH issues MERS-COV advisory for Filipinos in the Middle East

Good advice. I hope other nations adopt the same attitude.
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Re: DFA, DOH issues MERS-COV advisory for Filipinos in the Middle East

I would add

11. If drinking milk, drink PASTEURIZED milk or BOILED milk only. There is a study which suggests this: http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...ght=camel+milk
      Another article states that there is no proof that coronavirus can be transfered via milk: http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...ghlight=camels However, Dr. Tariq Ahmed Madani of the King Abdulaziz University Hospital in Jeddah goes on to say " ?Nevertheless, it is advisable to only drink camel milk, or any other type of milk for that matter, after boiling to kill disease-causing germs, including Maltese fever, found in the Najd and Hijaz regions.?

Comment

Working...
      X