X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine flu rebounds in southern Mexico

Swine flu rebounds in southern Mexico
    Friday, 24 July 2009 14:46
    Several states in southern Mexico have seen massive increases in swine flu infections in the past few weeks.

Since July 18, H1N1 cases in Chiapas have increased 350 percent, while the figure in the Yucatan is 230 percent.

Meanwhile, in Tabasco, 700 new cases have been reported in the past two weeks and the governor has cancelled the state?s annual fair.

Authorities in the Yucatan have installed road blocks at major entry points to the state in an bid to identify people with flu-like symptoms.

The first cases of the global influenza pandemic were identified in Mexico back in March. Between March 11 and June 11, 12,654 people tested positive for swinbe flu, and 124 were confirmed as having died from the disease.

Unlike many other countries that are currently in the grip of the disease, Mexico took drastic measures to slow the spread of H1N1 - shutting schools, bars and clubs, and cancelling sporting events and concerts. The measure appeared to work, with the number of reported cases falling off after doctors began to make correct diagnosis and give appropriate treatment.

Only the United States has registered more cases and deaths than Mexico.

As of Thursday, July 23, the number of confirmed cases in the state of Jalisco stood at 802, with five reported deaths. Six infections have been confirmed in the municpality of Chapala.

Meanwhile, Mexican health authorities are closely following a big surge in the number of H1N1 influenza cases in Argentina, fearing that a similar pattern will hit Mexico in November.

At least 40 people have died in Argentina, where the virus has infected over 3,000 people in the last month as the southern hemisphere nation goes through its coldest period of the year.

Doctors from Mexico have been studying Argentina?s regional health system for clues as to the ferocity with which the disease might return to Mexico later this year. Many experts expect a ?second wave? of swine flu to hit Mexico when temperatures drop at the beginning of the winter.

Re: Swine flu rebounds in southern Mexico

no "rebound", since they didn't catch the early wave
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
      Please.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
        You are posting utter nonsense. Map of first wave in southern Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
          You are posting utter nonsense. Map of first wave in southern Mexico

http://flutracker.rhiza.com/flu/gmap...8203125&zoom=6
          Is this wave two, or "the virus has never gone away"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rwilmer View Post
            Is this wave two, or "the virus has never gone away"?
            Reported cases and deaths have spiked higher. No sequences have been released, so the relationship between this outbreak and the earlier outbreak remains unclear.

Comment

Living here in Puerto Vallarta I can tell you that lots of people are sick again. Seems they either have gastrointestinal symptoms or the dredded cough and raspy voices.
              T

Comment

see here for the two "waves" in the Mexican states

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka View Post
                  Living here in Puerto Vallarta I can tell you that lots of people are sick again. Seems they either have gastrointestinal symptoms or the dredded cough and raspy voices.
                  T
                  Do you mean the same people are getting sick again? Or that additional numbers of people are sick now who didn't get it before? Either one is ominous, and suggests that the virus might have mutated. But it's worse if the same people are falling ill with it again, because that means it's mutated enough that a first exposure isn't conferring immunity.

Comment

Yes, the same people are sick again. The gastrointestinal symptoms are worse this time. Severe vomiting and diarrhea and whole body cramps. No one I know has actually been confirmed to have the virus. We have been to the hospital w/high fever and diarrhea/vomiting but w/o resp.symptoms, no test. We have been to the Dr. w/high fever (103.5) swollen glands, but no other symptoms, no test. My family has managed to kick this stuff every time, but it is back again. 2 family members have been sick as well as half of the 20 i've spoken to in the past 2 weeks.

Comment

Yes, the same people are sick again. The gastrointestinal symptoms are worse this time. Severe vomiting and diarrhea and whole body cramps. No one I know has actually been confirmed to have the virus. We have been to the hospital w/high fever and diarrhea/vomiting but w/o resp.symptoms, no test. We have been to the Dr. w/high fever (103.5) swollen glands, but no other symptoms, no test. My family has managed to kick this stuff every time, but it is back again. 2 family members have been sick as well as half of the 20 i've spoken to in the past 2 weeks.
                      Thank you Tonka for that information.
                      So either testing has become very lax or they aren't associating the new illness with flu.

If testing isn't done, how can we know if and when significant changes occur?
                      Really makes you wonder how much better prepared we are today to deal with a pandemic compared to 1918.
                      We have the tools, but they aren't worth much if they aren't used correctly.
                      "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                      "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

GI-symptoms and swollen glands, no respiratory symptoms - is that influenza ?

symptoms of ******:

Comment

I saw your previous posts about dengue so I know you're aware of that, and the potential for infection with another of the different strains. You must be positive it isn't that, or you would have mentioned it.

Comment

No joint pain whatsoever. We've never gotten Dengue here. Knock wood! They do a fine job of fogging.

Whatever it was this time around, my husband and 2 daughters are well again. My husband said it's the sickest he's ever been. It's easy to see how it could easily move to the point of no return when symptoms are so severe.

We've been lucky!

Comment

GSGS wrote,"symptoms of ******"

I know. I've come to realize that the illness in my family coincides with the peaks of the waves here in Mexico...

Thanks for the graphs, and thanks to all here who have been my only source of info from the beginning!

Comment

Working...
                              X