X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Swine Flu Death Toll Rises To 81 - 1300 cases

Mexican Swine Flu Death Toll Rises To 81

1:27am UK, Sunday April 26, 2009
    The number of deaths linked to the swine flu outbreak in Mexico has risen to 81, the country's government has announced.

Over 1,300 people are now suspected ill with the rare virus strain.

"We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Re: Mexican Swine Flu Death Toll Rises To 81 - 1300 cases

Swine flu may have killed up to 81 in Mexico

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:38pm EDT

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - An outbreak of a new type of swine flue in Mexico may have killed up to 81 people there this month, Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said on Saturday.
    More than 1,300 people in Mexico were suspected to be infected with the flu, which global health experts have warned could become a global epidemic. All schools will be closed in Mexico City, the surrounding area and the central state of San Luis Potosi until May 6, Cordova said.

"We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

First I want to mention I am not an expert, just here looking for info from those who seem quite knowledgable on the subject.

Several sources have stated "The new flu strain - a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses"

So since this is bird migration season, does that mean all the birds funneling through mexico from south America have a chance of picking up the virus and spreading northward throughout the US and Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
        First I want to mention I am not an expert, just here looking for info from those who seem quite knowledgable on the subject.

Several sources have stated "The new flu strain - a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses"

So since this is bird migration season, does that mean all the birds funneling through mexico from south America have a chance of picking up the virus and spreading northward throughout the US and Canada?
        Welcome, Rocky. Because this new strain is now known to be transmitted between people, it is far more likely in this age of international travel that it will be spread by travelling humans rather then flying birds.
        http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

well that's really the big question right now, we can shut down all air travel out of Mexico, but we can't stop the birds from heading north.

have any birds been found carrying this virus?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
            ...So since this is bird migration season, does that mean all the birds funneling through mexico from south America have a chance of picking up the virus and spreading northward throughout the US and Canada?
            My (non-scientist) guess is that the "binding" areas of the virus have changed enough that they will no longer fit a bird. They're the "keys" that a flu uses to "open" the door to the human cell. Birds have small keyholes and humans have big ones. An Avian influenza must "grow" its key to fit the larger "keyhole" of a human before it can infect, so using the larger key on a small keyhole won't work.

Put another way, a 50 YO "plump" lady can no longer fit into her size 5 prom gown, so there is little hope she will wear it.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

not what we saw in 1918

compare Philadelphia 1918, 1.75M population:

1.Oct.1918: 117 died
              5.Oct: 254 died
              6.Oct:289 died
              9.Oct:428 died

Camp Devens, 45000 soldiers
              Sept.8 : 1st case
              Sep.23 : 63 dead
              Sep.20: 1543 new cases
              Sep.25:271 new cases
              Sep.25: 83 deaths

Sep.19: sum=6500 cases
              Sep.26:sum=627 deaths

6-8 weeks in a town , 3-4 weeks in a camp
              I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
              my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Comparing historical numbers to this outbreaks numbers is likely not too telling at this juncture. When this outbreaks numbers are looked at in retrospect it will be interesting but I am uncomfortable in placing too much weight on the accuracy of any numbers being reported at the moment...they will be over and under-reported at various times.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
                  My (non-scientist) guess is that the "binding" areas of the virus have changed enough that they will no longer fit a bird. They're the "keys" that a flu uses to "open" the door to the human cell. Birds have small keyholes and humans have big ones. An Avian influenza must "grow" its key to fit the larger "keyhole" of a human before it can infect, so using the larger key on a small keyhole won't work.

Put another way, a 50 YO "plump" lady can no longer fit into her size 5 prom gown, so there is little hope she will wear it.

thanks for the clarification, but then again...

It isnt over till the fat lady sings...

Comment

Working...
                  X