X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Kitts Reports First A/H1N1 Death

Source: http://www.sknvibes.com/News/NewsDetails.cfm/10623

H1N1 death recorded in St. Kitts

BASSETERRE, St. Kitts-A 28-year-old female was confirmed over the weekend as St. Kitts-Nevis? first death as a result of the Influenza A H1N1 virus, commonly known as swine flu, Ministry of Health officials confirmed this morning (July 27) at a press conference.

The Federation?s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Patrick Martin, stated that on Friday (July 24) the Ministry of Health received lab results from the Caribbean Epidemiology Centre that confirmed two more cases of the pandemic H1N1 virus.

?Both were female residents, aged 21 and 28 years respectively, with no recent travel. The former confirmed case did not require medication and hospitalization. The latter was the Federation?s first death. The Ministry of Health takes this opportunity to extend condolences to the family of the deceased,? Martin stated.

Chief of Staff at the Joseph N. France General Hospital Dr. Cameron Wilkinson gave details regarding the woman?s death.

?The deceased was brought to the hospital via ambulance in a severe condition. Despite the best efforts of our staff, the patient rapidly deteriorated and death occurred within 36 hours after arrival in the hospital.?

Despite the unfortunate occurrence, Martin assured the public that there is ?no need for alarm or panic? at this time.

?The vast majority of persons with H1N1 experience mild illness and recover quickly without medication. There have been several such cases in the Federation,? he noted.

The current number of confirmed cases of H1N1 in the Federation stands at three, with one death. The Ministry of Health stated that it is certain there will be more cases in St. Kitts-Nevis, but a ?vast majority? of those will be mild cases that do not require medication or hospitalization.

The public was asked to continue good hygienic practices such as covering one?s mouth when coughing and sneezing, eating nutritious meals and to avoid contact with the public if flu-like symptoms are noticed.

Wilkinson stated that high-risk groups of persons should closely monitor their health, and report to the hospital if severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing, weakness or dehydration occur.

?High-risk persons include children under the age of five, senior citizens over 65, pregnant women, asthmatics, diabetics, persons who are obese and persons sickle cell anemia, HIV and other conditions that reduce one?s immunity.?

Though the spread of the H1N1 virus is being closely monitored by the Ministry of Health, Martin said that there is no need for persons to avoid public gatherings or to ?shut down the country?.

?There is no need to cancel mass events. H1N1 Influenza is mild in the vast majority of cases. If it was severe in the vast majority of cases, our tune would be different. We are relying on the good will of the general public, and we are confident that the vast majority of persons in St. Kitts-Nevis will do what is right,? he stated.

It was further noted that anti-viral medications are currently available in the Federation for cases which require it, and that St. Kitts-Nevis is scheduled to receive quantities of a vaccine for the disease when it is made commercially available within the next four to six months.

Persons with mild flu symptoms are urged to treat themselves as they would with any strain of flu by drinking plenty of fluids, obtaining lots of rest, eating healthy foods and taking paracetamol as necessary.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X