Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing – 29 June 2022

29 June 2022

...Today I will cover health and humanitarian challenges that the world is facing.

Only with concerted action by governments, international agencies and the private sector can we solve the converging challenges.

On COVID-19, driven by BA.4 and BA.5 in many places, cases are on the rise in 110 countries, causing overall global cases to increase by 20% and deaths have risen in three of the six WHO regions even as the global figure remains relatively stable.

This pandemic is changing but it’s not over. We have made progress but it’s not over.

... On Monkeypox, while the Emergency Committee did not advise that the current outbreak represents a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, they acknowledged the emergency nature of the event and that controlling the further spread requires intense response efforts.

They advised that I should reconvene them quickly based on the evolving situation, which I will do.

Nigeria, which has been battling an outbreak since 2017, has reported more cases this year, which could mean it matches or exceeds previous peaks.

Furthermore, the virus has now been identified in more than 50 new countries and that trend is likely to continue.

I am concerned about sustained transmission because it would suggest that the virus is establishing itself and it could move into high-risk groups including children, the immunocompromised and pregnant women.

We are starting to see this with several children already infected. ...

Working...
X