Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adults Older Than 52 May Resist Swine Flu, CDC Says (Update 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adults Older Than 52 May Resist Swine Flu, CDC Says (Update 2)

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=australia

Adults Older Than 52 May Resist Swine Flu, CDC Says (Update2)

By Nicole Gaouette

May 20 (Bloomberg) -- Adults older than 52 may have been exposed to a virus that gives some protection against swine flu, explaining why younger people account for the largest percentage of those hospitalized, a U.S. scientist said.

The virus that caused the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic circulated until a bird flu virus replaced it in a 1957 world outbreak, Daniel Jernigan, deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention influenza division, told reporters today. Exposure to the earlier virus ?may allow you to have some protection? to swine flu, Jernigan said.

Swine flu, called H1N1, has sickened more than 10,000 people in 41 countries, according to the World Health Organization. Researchers have been trying to explain why more than 60 percent of U.S. cases have been among those aged 5 to 25, Jernigan said. Swine flu also lands people younger than 50 in the hospital more often than seasonal flu.

?It?s one of the few good reasons to be over the age of 50,? Robert Belshe, director of St. Louis University?s vaccine center, said today in an interview. People born before 1957 were probably infected with a swine flu relative that left antibodies giving some natural immunity, he said.

The swift spread of swine flu in Japan has pushed WHO to consider declaring a pandemic, said Hitoshi Oshitani, former head of the agency?s Western Pacific region. WHO has confirmed 80 deaths and the U.S. counts 5,710 cases. Utah today reported the ninth U.S. death.

Schools and Flu

U.S. health officials are still seeing ?a significant number? of school-age children with swine flu ?and increasing numbers in people 50 and over,? Jernigan said.

Mitchell Weiner, a 55-year-old assistant principal at Intermediate School 238 in Queens, New York, died May 17. Jernigan said that those hospitalized for the illness were generally younger.

?When we look at the number of cases that have been hospitalized, the median age of those being hospitalized is 19 years,? Jernigan said. ?Those 19 to 49 are the largest chunk being hospitalized.?

About 18 percent of those sick enough to need hospital care are ages 10 to 18 and another 11 percent are from 5 to 9 years old, Jernigan said. The U.S. has had at least 247 people hospitalized with swine flu, Jernigan said.

The 1918 Spanish flu killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide. The 1957 pandemic killed about 2 million. Seasonal flu epidemics cause about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths each year, according to WHO.

CDC Publication

The CDC will publish a report tomorrow elaborating on the immunity finding, Jernigan said. Studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine May 7 said that swine flu evolved from human viruses circulating in pigs for more than a decade and that older people may have some immunity because of exposure to similar germs.

Belshe, of St. Louis University, wrote a commentary published with the New England Journal of Medicine studies. His school receives funding from the National Institutes of Health to evaluate vaccines.

The swine flu virus also infected pigs in 1918, Belshe said. It?s been circulating in animals since then, he said. The swine flu virus contains genetic elements of bird, pig and human influenzas.

?It?s not 1918 again, it?s 1918 continued,? Belshe said.

Swine flu will continue spreading in the U.S. in the next few months, usually a season without much influenza, and may surge again after that, Jernigan said.

The virus spreads at about the same rate as seasonal flu, but ?a larger percentage of the population may have no immunity? to it, Jernigan said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Nicole Gaouette in Washington at ngaouette@bloomberg.net.
    Last Updated: May 20, 2009 17:16 EDT

Re: Adults Older Than 52 May Resist Swine Flu, CDC Says (Update2)

> Robert Belshe: infected with a swine flu relative in 1957

that must be H2N2 then, we do not expect other hidden strains, do we ?

so, which epitope protects from 1957 that is not in seasonal
    H3N2 or H1N1 ?

better than seasonal ?
    looking at the segments ... it could be in segment 7,MP - where else
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Flu Immunity Seen in Older Adults

CDC Says People Who Got Related H1N1 Long Ago May Have Some Protection

By BETSY MCKAY
      Older adults may have some immunity to the new H1N1 flu virus, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday, a finding that could explain why the disease has spread mostly among children and young adults.

People who had been infected with a related H1N1 virus that circulated between 1918 and 1957 could have some protection against the new swine flu, said Daniel Jernigan, deputy director of the CDC's influenza division.

The latest finding, which the CDC is expected to publish Thursday, would confirm what many flu experts already suspect. U.S. cases are mostly people between 5 and 24 years old; the majority of patients hospitalized are under 50 years old.

That's quite different from the impact of a normal flu season, which takes its heaviest toll on the very young and the very old.

"It makes a lot of sense," Richard Wenzel, chairman of the department of internal medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University, said of the finding. While visiting hospitals in Mexico City this month, "I saw young adults on respirators and young adults dying," he said. "Older adults weren't really part of the pattern."

Only 13% of U.S. patients hospitalized with the new flu are age 50 or over, according to an analysis of a portion of those patients, Dr. Jernigan said. By contrast, 37% of patients are between the ages of 19 and 49 years old, 18% are between 10 and 18 years old, and 11% are between 5 and 9 years old.

The current outbreak bears a resemblance to the 1918 pandemic, in which death rates were highest among young adults, said James Steinberg, professor of infectious diseases at Emory University in Georgia. One possible reason was that older adults had been exposed to a similar flu virus in the late 1800s, he said. Another possible explanation was that the robust immune systems of younger people kicked into overdrive, leading to fatalities.

The H1N1 virus was introduced into the human population by the 1918 pandemic and circulated widely until 1957. Then it was replaced in another pandemic by a new strain known as H3N2.

The H1N1 virus later reemerged as a seasonal flu and has circulated for years, but it differs from both the previous and new strains.

While further studies are needed to determine how well older adults are protected from the new flu strain, "there's evidence of reactivity and we can infer there is some level of protection" in the blood serum studies done so far, said Dr. Jernigan.

At least 10,243 people in 41 countries have been confirmed to be infected by the new virus and 80 have died, according to the World Health Organization.

The WHO urged vaccine makers Wednesday to set aside a portion of any H1N1 vaccine produced for poorer countries.

The U.S. had 5,710 confirmed and probable H1N1 flu cases in 48 states as of Wednesday, the CDC said.

Utah health officials on Wednesday reported the death of a man who also had underlying health problems.

In Arizona, health officials said a 13-year-old boy from Tucson with swine flu has died, the Associated Press reported. The teenager died Friday of complications from the flu.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

but the same H1N1 virus which was eliminated in 1957 by H2N2 did reappear unchanged
        in 1977, they assume it had been preserved in a freezer.
        So how could the H1N1 prior to 1957 confer immunity against the novel strain but not the
        H1N1 from 1977 ?

> People who had been infected with a related H1N1 virus that circulated between
        > 1918 and 1957 could have some protection against the new swine flu, said Daniel Jernigan,

> "It makes a lot of sense," Richard Wenzel

> The H1N1 virus later reemerged as a seasonal flu and has circulated for years, but it differs
        > from both the previous and new strains.

> "there's evidence of reactivity and we can infer there is some level of protection"
        > in the blood serum studies done so far, said Dr. Jernigan.
        Last edited by gsgs; May 21, 2009, 04:43 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Very good question GS

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

DOB = year of birth, I assume.
                    "D",1932 only 10, but "E",1933 160 ?

-------------------------------
                    this pre-existing immunity, has it been proved ?
                    They don't even know, which strain circulated before 1918

it could just have been different contact-habits of the age-groups.
                    People with children are more likely to get it or such

Comment

I was confused by this when first posted as I had looked at the new HA's homology with various other HA's inc. H1 from before '57 and the H1 that reappeared in '77 but found them poor matches. I was looking at whole strand rather than antigenic sites specifically but assume one is a good proxy for the other. I am unconvinced that any B-cells left over from any human flus are going to be of use. If you want some protection get a job as an Iowan pig farmer.

Comment

when you want to become rich, sell sputum from sick Iowa-swines

Comment

the 1977 virus was "frozen" in ~1952, AFAIR.
                          So it's 5 years away from 1957

And there are usually several related H1N1-strains circulating,
                          but it should still be quite similar, when we are talking about >50 years here

-------------------------------------
                          epitopes from
                          h5n1experts.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, h5n1experts.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

52+39+20+9=120 of the 119 match with novel flu (1 epitope matches 2 of the 11 proteins)
                          48+31+13+7=99 match 1977 H1N1
                          48+32+15+7=102 match 1957 H1N1 (Denver)
                          50+35+16+9=110 match 1918 H1N1
                          44+28+17+7=96 match 1972 H3N2
                          46+31+18+8=103 match 1957 H2N2

T cell class I+T cell class II+T cell unknown+B cell linear
                          -------------------------------------

the 3 novel flu-epitopes which are covered by 1957 Denver H1N1 but not by 1977 H1N1 :

97559 ,PB1,PQLNPIDGPLPEDNEPSGY,T cell unknown
                          97361 ,NP,GQISVQPTFSVQRNLPF,T cell class II
                          97411 ,NP,KATNPIVPSFDMSNEGSY,T cell unknown

--------------------------------------------

novel flu epitopes which are not covered by 1977-H1N1
                          but are covered by 1918-H1N1:

97236 ,PB1,DAVATTHSWIPKRNRSIL,B cell linear
                          97392 ,PB1,IFENSCLETMEVVQQTRV,T cell unknown
                          97559 ,PB1,PQLNPIDGPLPEDNEPSGY,T cell unknown
                          97701 ,PB1,TNTETGAPQLNPIDGPL,T cell unknown
                          1166 ,PA,AESRKLLLI,T cell class I
                          7655 ,NP,DATYQRTRALVRTGMDPRMC,T cell class II
                          97361 ,NP,GQISVQPTFSVQRNLPF,T cell class II
                          97487 ,NP,LVWMACHSAAFEDLR,T cell class II
                          41793 ,NP,MIWHSNLNDATYQRTRALVR,T cell class II
                          45297 ,NP,NPAHKSQLVWMACHSAAFED,T cell class II
                          97583 ,NP,QLVWMACHSAA,T cell class I

--------------------------------------

novel flu epitopes which are not covered by 1918-H1N1
                          but are covered by 1977-H1N1:

37217 ,M1,LLENLQAYQKRMGVQMQRFK,T cell class II

Comment

Do any of the experts know how the age distribution of victims of novel H1N1 is being interpreted? By this I mean how are the investigators compensating for the age distribution of the population (which varies by country), the differences in infective behaviour (oldsters party less), and differences in other major influences on exposure (oldsters have fewer kids in school). It seems to me that the age distribution per se means very little absent a serious consideration of these other factors.

One way to deal with this could be to compare the age distributions of seasonal flu infections with the age distribution of novel H1N1 infections, but I doubt whether the data exists for either.

Comments?

Comment

Working...
                            X